Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Not only have I made the "Name" column wider you can now double click and edit the names to be whatever you like.

Although I think naming ports is one way to keep track of them I've come up with something I think works slightly better and it's a "Comment" column that will allow you to enter whatever you like for the port.

Excellent. Thank you for such great support :thumbup:

A comment column is a good idea and will allow people to keep track of their work.

I'm going to have fun experimenting. :)

As someone who experienced side effects of cosmetic customization (populating sys info under PCI for instance) before, kernal panics in my case, this is something I wouldn't do. However, I'd like to contribute to this project and here what I would do: In order to avoid shuffles, I would either keep HS and SS names in the file names as your first example. Or I would change HH and SS prefixes with USB2 and USB3 and leave numbers. Just like:

Ps: I have an idea for listing backports as well, like Top to bottom, L1A , R1C as in Left, Right and Type A/C etc. As for Internals Int BT CR as in Bluetooth Card Reader. And in this way we keep the custom names short.

USB202 Rear L1A
USB203 Rear R1A
USB206 Int BT CR
USB301 Rear L6C
USB302 Rear R6A

Cheers!

Good ideas. I don't know if the port name fields have a fixed string length and we may stray out-of-bounds by adding too much text, as I may have done. Keeping them short is sensible:thumbup: The new "Comment" column sounds like a safer way to approach this.

:)

Okay, here's a look at the new Hackintool v3.2.5 USB pane:

H.jpg

As you can see the first port is HS01 and it is in the process of having a Comment added to tell me where it is located. The nice thing here is that this information does not end up in either the SSDT-UIAC.aml/dsl or the USBPorts.kext, keeping everything clean. It is stored inside Hackintool's com.Headsoft.Hackintool.plist file in the Preferences folder.

Also the "Name" column is now able to be resized for width. Some port types were a little too long and ended up truncated by "...".

Thanks @headkaze for all the hard work :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've read through many of the pages on this thread to see if I can find my answer, but haven't had luck yet.
For some of the USB ports, when I plug in a device (2.0 or 3.0) it doesn't show up. For others it does.
And yet for some, the port doesn't work at all (assuming it's not activated).

This is what I've found so far. What do I do about items like HS02, which shows it's a 4-port USB 2.0 Hub?
USB Panel_labeled.jpg

Hackintool Screenshot.png

I've read through many of the pages on this thread to see if I can find my answer, but haven't had luck yet.
For some of the USB ports, when I plug in a device (2.0 or 3.0) it doesn't show up. For others it does.
And yet for some, the port doesn't work at all (assuming it's not activated).

This is what I've found so far. What do I do about items like HS02, which shows it's a 4-port USB 2.0 Hub?
View attachment 453368

View attachment 453369

Hi there.

Okay, let's work though this ...

Your motherboard features a Z390 chipset, so has a native XHCI controller; no add-ons, however ...

It also features a Thunderbolt controller.

1) Those two "unresponsive" Type-C ports are the Thunderbolt ones. That is a subject separate to the USB thread and you need to follow other guidance to activate those ports. I'll find a link for you later.

2) I guess those two blue front-panel USB ports are connected to the motherboard's F_USB30 header with the case's blue connector block. You need to identify those in the "port discovery" phase of this guide. To do that you need the USBInjectAll.kext and a port-limit removal patch in place (I see you probably have done that bit).

3) Front-panel SS01 is a Type-C USB port (so not a Thunderbolt port). It may be "switchable" you need to use the Hackintool "Connector" column to change it from USB3 to "Type C + Sw" or "Type C" depending on how it behaves when you unplug and replug the cord turning it 180-degrees etc. If it stays in the same location it is indeed "switchable".

4) Finally I guess the "Hub" for 4x ports you have are part of the 6x USB2 ports your motherboard has - 2x on the back-panel and 4x on internal headers. This is a common arrangement in big, modern motherboards, to provide a lot of USB2 connectivity. It can be confusing, but as far as macOS is concerned only the parent-port is counted in the 15-limit.

To go into more depth will require using IORegistryExplorer and uploading a suitable export for us to examine. But that is your choice, obviously :thumbup:

Hope that helps.

Hi there.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful in breaking it down, thank you!
I will be back at my desk later today and look into this more.
Thanks!

Hi there.

To go into more depth will require using IORegistryExplorer and uploading a suitable export for us to examine. But that is your choice, obviously :thumbup:
Okay, back at my desk but not exactly sure where to start. Yes I'd like the Thunderbolt ports to work, but happy to come back to that later.
What's most important to me right now is getting bluetooth to work, since my keyboard & mouse are bluetooth.
I have the fenvi FV-T919 inserted in a PCI slot, and the cable is plugged into F_USB1 towards the bottom of my board.
If I can get that activated, I'll be able to work, and then get to some of the other stuff later (like the front panel SS01 - not terribly important right now).
Happy to export something using IORegistryExplorer; just need the steps to take as I don't know what would help right now.

Okay, back at my desk but not exactly sure where to start. Yes I'd like the Thunderbolt ports to work, but happy to come back to that later.
What's most important to me right now is getting bluetooth to work, since my keyboard & mouse are bluetooth.
I have the fenvi FV-T919 inserted in a PCI slot, and the cable is plugged into F_USB1 towards the bottom of my board.
If I can get that activated, I'll be able to work, and then get to some of the other stuff later (like the front panel SS01 - not terribly important right now).
Happy to export something using IORegistryExplorer; just need the steps to take as I don't know what would help right now.

Hi there.

Okay, that F_USB1 header is a good choice. It should be live if you have USBInjectAll.kext installed along with a port-limit removal patch for the version of macOS you are running. Hackintool should show it clearly... However I see from your previous screengrab it doesn't.

My guess is that F_USB1 should be around HS09-HS12.

Run IORegistryExplorer and then scroll down the left panel until you find the XHC@14 part of the tree. Expand or contract that set of branches so you can see all the ports and screengrab that ... :)

Hi there.

Okay, that F_USB1 header is a good choice. It should be live if you have USBInjectAll.kext installed along with a port-limit removal patch for the version of macOS you are running. Hackintool should show it clearly... However I see from your previous screengrab it doesn't.

My guess is that F_USB1 should be around HS09-HS12.

Run IORegistryExplorer and then scroll down the left panel until you find the XHC@14 part of the tree. Expand or contract that set of branches so you can see all the ports and screengrab that ... :)

Okay here come a few screenshots. There was a sea of red text, so I'm sparing you a few screenshots of that red text and sending the start, second part, and the end (leaving out maybe 3-4 shots worth). Hope this makes sense.
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 3.49.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 3.49.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 3.51.03 PM.png

Back