Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

So with that Zalman case.

You would want to include the 2 x USB2 and 2 x USB3 ports in your USBPorts.kext, as I assume these are the most easily accessed ports on your case.

That being the case, then the 2 x USB2 ports will be served via one of the Internal USB3 header connectors. Both ports would need to be set with the connector type 'Internal'.

The 2 x USB3 ports would provide 4 ports, 2 x USB2 and 2 x USB3. These would be served from the USB3 header and should all be set with the connector type 'USB3'.

This would mean 6 of the 15 ports available are already accounted for, just from the case front ports.

You don't have a USB card reader, as I have and as shown in the photo below.

View attachment 547649 Front case card reader and additional USB2 port

The photo is from one of my AMD Hack's, but they are all built the same, using DVD RW, Icy Dock Express Cage and Akasa USB2 card readers.

You would then have to limit your selection of the ports on the Rear I/O plate, to a mix of 9 virtual or physical ports. Remember all of the ports on the rear of the motherboard amount for 12 ports; 4 x USB2 and 4 x USB3 (these 4 x USB3 ports also have 4 x USB2 ports).

Might I suggest you enable the following (example):
  1. 4 x USB3 (physical ports) which might show as SS01, SS02 etc. which would be set with connector type USB3
  2. 4 x USB2 ports, which might show as HS07, HS08 etc, which would be set with connector type USB2
  3. 1 x USB2 port, from one of the more accessible USB3 ports (one of the two above the row of USB2 ports), which would be set with connector type USB3
Thanks for your suggestion, I will do a new configuration usb ports. And let you know.

Last edited:
You just need to be aware that there will be a USB port associated with the connector, which you will be disabling as part of your USB configuration.
So it's not going to effect my RX560 because I'm just disabling the USB port associated with the M.2 WIFI slot?.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will do a new configuration usb ports. And let you know.
I made a new configuration usb ports.

Capture d’écran 2022-05-14 à 11.41.06.png

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi. I'm taking the plunge and creating a USB kext for my Cube, I got this far, a map. Fortunately my board only has 6 ports, well within Apples 15 port limit. Not fully understanding the next part, creating the map.

View attachment 547606View attachment 547592

What an absolutely fascinating motherboard you are using! :thumbup:

The Skylake H110 chipset has a maximum of 10x USB ports, of which 4x can be USB3. Port-limit is not an issue; getting the UsbConnector type for each, is.

What is wrong about the Hackintool screengrab here is that you should have no more than 14x entries for USB (you can delete the USR ones).

Like @Edhawk I haven't come across the unusual labelling your ports have - UK** etc - before. You might wish to check the DSDT table to see what's going on.

Other than that, then something is causing this craziness! o_O

As for whether connecting an RX560 to the m.2 port would be affected by USB? That's is so far left-field I have really no idea! Gigabyte specs them only for WiFi or SATA.

@msh your revised/new USB configuration looks good to me.

Anyone has USBport for Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard. Thank you so much !

Hello.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write and share this guide with all of us. That being said, I'm in a USB mapping situation since Nvidia decided to no longer sign drives for High Sierra. I was forced to upgrade my graphics card and update my macOS to Monterrey, and in the process, switch from Clover to OC.

I followed Dortania's guide to install, which went okay, but now I'm struggling with USB port mapping; starting with many instructions I find confusing from Dortania's guide, and then complications I come across following this guide.
One of the most confusing things I came across is this (form Dortania's guide):
At one point, it reads:
We need this kext (USBInjectAll) to make sure any ports not defined in ACPI will still show up in macOS, note that this shouldn't be required on Skylake and newer as the USB ports are defined within ACPI.

But later I came across this in the same page:

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 12.05.20.png

There is no explanation what the entries "Find" and "Replace" refer to. My config.plist had other numbers, so I just replaced them with the ones suggested in the guide not understanding what they mean. Also, I could not find in any guide an explanation I could understand as to what are the values for USB2, USB3, and USB-C I need to change for the correct port type. (i.e. what is the value of USB2 type port?)
Anyway, I tried two things: First, not to use USBInjectAll and see if I could map my ports. The problem I can across was that some of my USB3 ports were not recognizing my USB3 stick. I then tried with USBInjectAll kext, and the problem inverted; 5 (out of 6) of my USB3 ports were not reading at all my USB2 stick and where not showing up on USBmap, Hackingtool, nor IORegistryExplorer. (They did show up and were read by my system when I used a USB3 stick)
In the latter case, I created a USBMap.kext (using USBmap command) and adding it to my config.plist consequently (removing all traces of USBInjectAll before rebooting). The result was the same: 5 of my USB3 ports were not reading USB2 sticks. Any in every case, I was never able to read anything form my two USB-C ports.

At this point I'm pretty lost as to what could be my problem. Even though I've been hackingtoshing for over 5 years, I still consider my self a newbie since most of the times I follow the guides step by step now understanding completely what I'm doing.

Any help or guidance would be very appreciated.

My SMBIOS is iMac17,1

Thanks in advance.

P.S.- Let me know if there are any files I could share that would be helpful to you (and please let me know how to generate them).

Hi I'm trying to get my internal bluetooth working and it doesn't show up on any usb ports, it's an intel av3168.
In Linux it shows up as Bus001 Device003
Come someone please tell me is this enough info to configure usb port in MacOS?
And if so how does it translate?

Hi I'm trying to get my internal bluetooth working and it doesn't show up on any usb ports, it's an intel av3168.
In Linux it shows up as Bus001 Device003
Come someone please tell me is this enough info to configure usb port in MacOS?
And if so how does it translate?

Hi there.

First up, how have you enabled your USB ports? With an SSDT, USBPorts.kext or something else?

If you are using the OpenIntelWireless and Bluetooth drivers, your chipset - AC3168 - *is* supported.

We also need to know which macOS version you are using.

:)

Hi there.

First up, how have you enabled your USB ports? With an SSDT, USBPorts.kext or something else?

If you are using the OpenIntelWireless and Bluetooth drivers, your chipset - AC3168 - *is* supported.

We also need to know which macOS version you are using.

:)
Hi thanks for the reply, Yes I checked it's supported in the intelbluetoothfirmware.kext.
MacOS 12.4
Used Hackintool to enable usb ports so kext and ssdt

Back