Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hi, thanks! I could find another sata drive and install Catalina 10.15.7 on it. However, the output on Hackintool seems the same, even with USBinjectAll both on /kexts and the config.plist, and the xchiportlimitpatch set to true. Am I missing something?

View attachment 552759

Hi there.

You have some other USB configuration file in place somewhere, because the above screengrab shows a mix of HS** and SS** ports. This would not be the case with USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit enabled.

Check what is in your ACPI folder too, as well as the kexts folder.

Hi there.

You have some other USB configuration file in place somewhere, because the above screengrab shows a mix of HS** and SS** ports. This would not be the case with USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit enabled.

Check what is in your ACPI folder too, as well as the kexts folder.

Oh thanks, in my ACPI folder there are 3 files, SSDT-AWAC, SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP and SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA. I've followed dortania's Open Core guide. Maybe the "EC-USBX-DESKTOP" is the one causing trouble? Do I need to map USB ports if I already have that .aml file?

Oh thanks, in my ACPI folder there are 3 files, SSDT-AWAC, SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP and SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA. I've followed dortania's Open Core guide. Maybe the "EC-USBX-DESKTOP" is the one causing trouble? Do I need to map USB ports if I already have that .aml file?

No, those three SSDTs are fine. The EC-USBX SSDT just adds a dummy embedded controller and boosts USB power. Must be something elsewhere. :thumbup:

How do I test the USB type-c and 3.1 ports on my motherboard?

Something's wrong here. I posted for assistance with my GAZ590 about setting it up with USBInjectAll.kext and how to patch kernel kexts to discover all USB ports.

@trs96 responded. We had a back'n'forth for something like 5-6 messages since early PM yesterday, Aug 10.

Now everything's gone.

Something's wrong here. I posted for assistance with my GAZ590 about setting it up with USBInjectAll.kext and how to patch kernel kexts to discover all USB ports.

@trs96 responded. We had a back'n'forth for something like 5-6 messages since early PM yesterday, Aug 10.

Now everything's gone.

Hackintool's USB ports-selection process eventually spits out both a "USBPorts.kext" file and also a "SSDT-UIAC.aml" file. I have found that both work, although I have only tested the "SSDT-UIAC.aml" file on my Skylake computer ("Mini-ITX 2") below.
Question: Which is better to use, and why?
Thanks!

Hackintool's USB ports-selection process eventually spits out both a "USBPorts.kext" file and also a "SSDT-UIAC.aml" file. I have found that both work, although I have only tested the "SSDT-UIAC.aml" file on my Skylake computer ("Mini-ITX 2") below.
Question: Which is better to use, and why?
Thanks!
SSDT-UIAC.aml and USBInjectAll.kext

or USBPorts.kext just on it's own

I just use USBPorts.kext and have had no issues

SSDT-UIAC.aml and USBInjectAll.kext

or USBPorts.kext just on it's own

I just use USBPorts.kext and have had no issues
Given Hackintool's output of either file, I have never needed USBInjectAll.kext at all. I once did, many moons ago, but that was to activate all ports to find which ones were wanted and which were not. SSDT-UIAC.aml works fine for me all by itself. And so does UBPorts.kext. I thought there might be some magical "techie" reason why one would be better than the other.

Back