Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Which Dell Optiplex ? I only see in your profile a 7010 DT.
Sorry. Dell 9020 mt with i7 4770 and another similar with i5 and rx 560. I was clone the sata ssd to pcie nvme ssd with filezilla. On the boot opencore have only one big sur selection.

Last edited:
Sorry. Dell 9020 mt with i7 4770 and another similar with i5 and rx 560. I was clone the sata ssd to pcie nvme ssd with filezilla. On the boot opencore have only one big sur selection.
Do you have the NVMefix kext in your kexts folder ?

Getting Started with Big Sur

1. Download macOS 11

These are the Mac models that will let you download Big Sur and create your USB installer. Whether you use a hackintosh or a Mac your SMBIOS needs to meet these minimum specs to be eligible.

If your Mac is older than these make sure to use gibMacOS to download Big Sur directly from Apple's servers.

2. Create the USB Installer

As with Catalina, you'll need a minimum of a 16GB USB flash drive if you're going to use macOS to make your Big Sur installer. 32GB USBs also work. Anything larger, make a small partition of at least 16GB but less than 32 for building the installer. Big Sur should be in Applications.

You'll need to use createinstallmedia method after you've formatted the USB as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID partition table via Disk Utility. You can name the drive simply USB. Now open up Terminal and then copy/paste the following there and press return. Enter your password and return again.

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --nointeraction

3. Create your Custom OpenCore EFI Folder

Once you've installed Big Sur to the USB, the next task is to create the custom OpenCore EFI folder and then copy/paste that to the EFI partition of the USB after completing all edits. This is where you'll need to use a sample config.plist and modify it specifically for your hardware.

OpenCore Bootloader and the Dortania Guide

1. Download the standalone OpenCore Bootloader package installer from the official downloads section.
2. Apply necessary kexts, SSDTs and make the required edits (Haswell specific) to the config.plist using ProperTree.

Start here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/opencore-efi.html

Alternative Method
For those that want a Multibeast Like GUI to create their EFI folder, there is a handy app called OC Gen-X created by Pavo that you can use. https://github.com/Pavo-IM/OC-Gen-X/releases

1. Open OC Gen-X and select System Type -> Intel Consumer -> Haswell

2. Select the Kext tab and leave the two default choices as they are

3. Under VirtualSMC Plugins select the SMCProcessor kext

4. Under Graphics select the Whatevergreen kext

5. Select AppleALC for Audio

6. For your Ethernet kext select IntelMausi

7. Firmware Drivers - leave the defaults checked

8. SMBIOS - iMac15,1 (Serials and SMUUID will be entered later)

9. BootArgs - Enter -v to boot verbose keepsyms=1 and debug=0x100

10. Generate your EFI folder

Your brand new OC EFI folder will appear on your desktop. Leave it there for now.

11. Copy and paste the ACPI files (attached below) into the newly created ACPI folder in the OC folder.

Here's how your ACPI folder should look with all five SSDTs:
View attachment 507867

12. Copy and paste the 2 extra kexts into the kexts folder. Also attached below.

13. If you have a MT 7020/9020 you can use the kext attached below which enables the internal USB 2.0 port HS13. It's called Dell MT.USBPorts.kext. I have HS13 set to internal for those that will connect a Wifi/BT card. I've attached a pic below of the MT board so you can see where the internal USB 2.0 header resides.

SFF and USFF owners should use the USBports kext in the "2 extra kexts" folder below. Those have no HS13.

14. Add modGRUBShell.efi to the tools folder

4. Adding patches and setting Quirks in the newly created Config.plist

Next is the config.plist editing. Use the PlistEditPro app and the free trial or you can use ProperTree if you prefer but I find it much easier to do this by using PlistEditPro app.

Add the three specialized ACPI patches for the HPET, RTC and TIMR to the ACPI -> Patch section. They are included in the example config.plist so you can transfer those into your config.plist you've created. The example config.plist is attached below. See the video above for instructions of how to copy them to the new config.plist.

Refer to the above OC EFI video to see all the changes to make in the .plist.

Once everything is set then it's time for the OC snapshot. Demonstrated in the video also.

1. Now open up your new config.plist with ProperTree (attached below)
(right click on ProperTree.command and open it up with terminal)

2. Click on the File menu in the menu bar then OC Snapshot (Cmd +R).

View attachment 498178

3. You locate your OC folder on your desktop and select it. Click Choose.
View attachment 507871

That is the first snapshot. After that, click on OC Clean Snapshot.

After the snapshot is properly taken, the check the config.plist to make sure all the kext and ACPI entries are there.

View attachment 507868

Under Kernel -> Add you should see 8 kext entries or more if you have added other kexts that you require.

View attachment 507869

Once all your config.plist edits are done copy the finished OpenCore Custom EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB installer you just created with Big Sur. You'll have to mount the hidden EFI partition of the USB first. I use EFI Agent app by the creator of Hackintool. https://github.com/headkaze/EFI-Agent/releases

OpenCore Basics

ACPI

• SSDT-EC.aml - Fix for EC (Embedded Controller) on Catalina and above
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml - Allows for native CPU power management​
  • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml - Allows AppleSMBusPCI/Family/Controller​
  • SSDT-USBX.aml - USB power config​
Drivers
  • AudioDxe.efi - Boot chime
  • HFSPlus.efi - Reading HFS partitions
  • OpenCanopy.efi - GUI, boot picker
  • OpenRuntime.efi - NVRAM, memory management, etc.
Kexts
  • AppleALC.kext - Onboard Audio
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext - NIC (Intel based)
  • Lilu - Various fixes and system enhancements
  • USBPorts.kext - USB Mapping (you can edit these details in USB section)
  • VirtuaSMC.kext - Apple SMC emulator
  • WhateverGreen.kext - Various fixes for graphics and system devices
  • SMCDellSensors.kext - Optional - Lets you see fan speeds in Fan Control apps.
@trs96 Thanks for your efforts! Your YouTube guided me following you fresh install my Big Sur on a new ssd driver.
However, I would like you to address few things/issues:
1) when I boot into OS, how can I enter directly into apple progress bar instead of the OC menu following the entries scanning? I really don't like the entries scanning that I don't understand each line of them.
2) Few softwares I installed on Catalina worked great but not on this Big Sur, e.g.: Ring (from App Store, when I clicked a camera, it is just green ), amcrest surveillance pro (open a camera just blink), and Minecraft can't be opened....I searched online tried to figure out if these softwares have similar issues on Big Sur, but couldn't find any related, so I think I missed something when installed it. Thank you !

Last edited:
when I boot into OS, how can I enter directly into apple progress bar instead of the OC menu following the entries scanning? I really don't like the entries scanning that I don't understand each line of them.
Edit the config.plist and remove -v which shows the verbose info at boot up. I mentioned it in the guide. You can delete all of the boot-args if you'd like.
Screen_Shot_3.png

Few softwares I installed on Catalina worked great but not on this Big Sur, e.g.: Ring (from App Store, when I clicked a camera, it is just green ), amcrest surveillance pro (open a camera just blink)
In post #1 of the guide I did say that it's a little too early to fully migrate to Big Sur. Some things like specific apps will not work properly. You can go back to Catalina and keep using OC if you want to.

Edit the config.plist and remove -v which shows the verbose info at boot up. I mentioned it in the guide. You can delete all of the boot-args if you'd like.
View attachment 508066

In post #1 of the guide I did say that it's a little too early to fully migrate to Big Sur. Some things like specific apps will not work properly. You can go back to Catalina and keep using OC if you want to.
Thanks quick reply!
1) removed -v and skipped the verbose scanning, works great!
2) I am so unlucky that few app are not working on Big Sur. How can I return Catalina? Just simply copy my OC's EFI to Clover's EFI or need anything else?

How can I return Catalina? Just simply copy my OC's EFI to Clover's EFI or need anything else?
If you installed Big Sur to a new SSD you could just replace it with the older Catalina SSD, clear NVRAM before booting and then boot into Catalina.

Do you have the NVMefix kext in your kexts folder ?

There is not nvmefix.kext file in this link. I found in another site the nvmefix.kext file but not working. The opencore menu shows only one big sur installation.

There is not nvmefix.kext file in this link. I found in another site the nvmefix.kext file but not working. The opencore menu shows only one big sur installation.

Do you have the NvmExpressDxe.efi driver in your drivers folder ? It must also be enabled in the config.plist. Try taking another OC snapshot with ProperTree.

Attachments

• NvmExpressDxe.efi.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 45
If you installed Big Sur to a new SSD you could just replace it with the older Catalina SSD, clear NVRAM before booting and then boot into Catalina.
I tried something that might indicate the software compatibility issues occur on Big Sur with OC boot:
As I couldn't use Minecraft and Ring (from Apple Store) on Big Sur, I return to Catalina with OC instead of Clover I used before, I found I still couldn't use them on Catalina/OC, but they are normally displayed on Catalina/Clover. That addressed there are something missed in my OC setting. Please advise and see attached pics! Thank you!

Attachments

• Ring With OC.png
    Ring With OC.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Minecraft with OC.png
    Minecraft with OC.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 45
Back