Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Thanks trs96, yes I watched the video very carefully more than once, I was getting confused about the 'snapshot' feature. It made more sense when I watched the boot manager GUI video, but I failed at that too. It bricked and said open canopy wasn't compatible!, but I made sure I had the same revision as open core, 6.5. Also I couldn't get ProperTree to load and then I got lost trying to make Python 3.9 default. So I will attempt the edits using Plist tomorrow, instead of ProperTree.
There's really no need to apply OpenCanopy until after the install is successful. That's why I leave it out of the guide and show just a basic barebones install that will boot. The video by Chris Titus on the OC snapshot is probably not the best way to show how to do that as most are not familiar with Linux. What I'll do is make a short video guide about OC-GenX and how to take the OC snapshot in macOS after the EFI folder is prepared to do that.

The two keys to success are setting up the EFI folder and then getting the config.plist edited properly so that the USB installer will work. After that, everything is very easy to finish up.

So, thanks for all the feedback on this. It will help me make the guide a lot better for people starting out with OpenCore and Big Sur. Some people learn better by seeing it done rather than reading what to do so I'll combine some of both teaching methods to cover all the bases.

Last edited:
Worked on the new video guide (in post #2) for a few hours and it's done. Completely revised the written part too. Have a look and try it out. It's using OC 0.6.6.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.57.25 AM.png

OC 0.6.6 Big sur worked for me and updated to 11.2 but I recreated DDST as yours causing black screen after sleep

but I recreated DDST as yours causing black screen after sleep
What changes did you make to fix black screen ? Was it a config.plist edit ?

Last edited:
@trs96

thanks for great writeup!!!

followed guidance macOS Big Sur 11.2 up and running on OC 0.6.6.

Below is Optimac Geekbench Scores!
1612537225549.png

Screen Shot 12021-02-05 at 5.28.37 PM.jpg

followed guidance macOS Big Sur 11.2 up and running on OC 0.6.6.
Nice work. Did you use the OC-Gen-X app or follow the Dortania guide ?

Nice work. Did you use the OC-Gen-X app or follow the Dortania guide ?
Downloaded a fresh copy of Opencore 0.6.6 pkg,

1. Copied your ACPI files, Kext's and required Drivers to OC.
2. OC Snapshot and Clean Snapshot with ProperTree app.
3. added all the required patches as described in main article to config.plist

opencore not see the nvme big sur installation. How can i fix it?

opencore not see the nvme big sur installation. How can i fix it?
Which Dell Optiplex ? I only see in your profile a 7010 DT.

Back