Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

@trs96 could you make one of your awesome video tutorials explaining how to update OC?. I attempted it but failed miserably and bricked my machine, then there was no USB which made things very interesting.
Didn't you use the latest OC-Gen-X (0.6.6) to make your Custom EFI folder ?

There's no need to update OC if you use that. Make a new USB installer on another hack, run OC-Gen-X and then follow the video again.

Ah, now it's making even more sense. No I used OC-Gen-X (0.6.5) to build my first EFI, I updated OC-Gen last night and also explains why when launching I got, 'There's an issue'. The 9020 is fine I got back to desktop I can build my new installer again.

The 9020 is fine I got back to desktop I can build my new installer again.
Just a note to everyone. There was a change made in OC-Gen-X for the most recent edition. It now auto fills in the SMBIOS and Serials of the machine you are using to make your custom EFI folder. I amended the video to show this. It's fine in a sense that you don't have to recopy all the custom serials as long as you make the EFI on the same Dell OptiMac you are going to use. The info in Platforminfo -> Generic section of the config.plist is what I'm referring to.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

If making the new OC EFI on a different Mac or Hack make sure you either copy your old Serials/SMUUID over or just generate new ones with GenSMBIOS app. The ROM (ethernet MAC address) will have to be copied over manually as the OC-Gen-X app doesn't do that for you. Find that in System Prefs -> Network -> Advanced -> Hardware
copy that to your config.plist and then remove all the colons ::::: there should be five of them.

Here's the SMBIOS section of the video where I mention this new feature of OC-Gen-X

Last edited:
If I am using iMac 15,1 it gives black screen after wake up from sleep and no side car
but if I am using iMac 19,2 no problem and side car working
should I keep imac 19,2 or there is any solution for iMac 15,1

If I am using iMac 15,1 it gives black screen after wake up from sleep and no side car
but if I am using iMac 19,2 no problem and side car working
should I keep imac 19,2 or there is any solution for iMac 15,1
Try adding this to Devices/Properties before you switch. Reboot then test.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 4.21.38 AM.png

Not working
Legacy Option ROMs enabled ? If not, enable and try again.

Advanced Boot Options -> check box- Enable Legacy Option ROMs

Try adding this to Devices/Properties before you switch. Reboot then test.

View attachment 508499

Legacy Option ROMs enabled ? If not, enable and try again.

Advanced Boot Options -> check box- Enable Legacy Option ROMs
also not working take into your consideration my monitor is connected dp (computer) to vga (monitor) and my moniter is very old acer al 2017

also not working take into your consideration my monitor is connected dp (computer) to vga (monitor) and my moniter is very old acer al 2017
vga? that is an issue with macOS

Back