Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I grabbed Lilu, WhateverGreen, and VirtualSMC from the downloads section of the site. Sadly, no change.
Try formatting your SSD (the one you want to install to) on your HP 6300. Make it MacOS Extended Journaled instead of APFS. It will get auto converted to APFS later when you do the install to your Dell.

may need sata-unsupported.kext
I snagged 'sata-unsupported.kext' from a RehabMab archive and tried once again; no joy.
Is there another 'sata-unsupported.kext' I should be trying to use?

I snagged 'sata-unsupported.kext' from a RehabMab archive and tried once again; no joy.
Is there another 'sata-unsupported.kext' I should be trying to use?
No one has ever needed that on these Dell PCs configured as a hackintosh. I don't think that's the issue.

Try formatting your SSD (the one you want to install to) on your HP 6300. Make it MacOS Extended Journaled instead of APFS. It will get auto converted to APFS later when you do the install to your Dell.
I gave this a go. I had to remove the two 'spinning rust' drives I had setup and named RAID as my SSD wasn't recognized on the SATA port that was hosting the optical drive on the 6300. With the RAID setup removed and utilizing one of these other SATA ports, I was able to format the Intel SSD to MacOS Extended Journaled (I had previously erased the disk within Ubuntu Live, leaving it with no partitions) but once again, no change over on the OptiMac.

no change over on the OptiMac.
Try connecting to the other SATA ports on your Dell. Try a different SATA cable to rule out any possible hardware causes.

The one other thing that comes to mind, did you apply this part of the guide ?

There is one critical step to remember when formatting your USB or other drives in Disk Utility. Always click View and then Show All Devices instead of leaving it at "Show Only Volumes" when using High Sierra or Mojave to make the installer. After you select the Parent name, click on the Erase tab and format the USB as directed in the tonymacx86 guide.

The one other thing that comes to mind, did you apply this part of the guide ?
Yes, I've been using the 'show all devices' while working through this.

Try connecting to the other SATA ports on your Dell. Try a different SATA cable to rule out any possible hardware causes.
I swapped the SATA cable that was connecting the Intel SSD to SATA port 0, and also attached a WD drive to SATA. Booting into the installer then saw both drives. Success, or so I thought.
Having thought that the SATA cables that arrived with the box were flakey at best (remember that Ubuntu was able to see the drives each time without issue), I went and swapped the SATA 0 cable as the first one I pulled out of my collection to use was much too long for the application.
Upon reboot, I was sad to see that the Intel SSD was once again not recognized, yet the drive on SATA 2 was.
I went and pointed the installer to this drive (a 250GB WD Scorpio Black traditional drive) and the install went as expected.
I then moved this WD drive to SATA 0 post installation, everything booted as expected.
Of all of the numerous reboots into the installer, the WD drive is thee only drive that is recognized. I tried numerous others that I have on-hand with no joy.
Even with Catalina installed on the WD drive, connecting the Intel SSD to any of the remaining SATA ports with various different SATA cables does not show the drive in Disk Utility.
For now, I'll forge ahead with this WD Scorpio.

Hi all,

I've just installed Catalina on an Optiplex 3020 with an i5 4590 3.3Ghz.
At idle, the frequency never drops below 2.0Ghz

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 10.38.52.png

Is this something to be concerned about?

Even with just the Chrome browser & teamviewer running, here are the readings.

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 10.48.49.png

Back