Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Can confirm... it’s surprising, but true.
My first Mac mini I bought in 2005 had DVI output only. Apple did include a DVI to VGA adapter in the box. Even way back then, they were planning on dropping analog video support. VGA went the way of the floppy disk and CD-Rom drives in Macs.

I was testing a batch of RAM DIMMs on two 9020’s with only one monitor
How many of these OptiMacs have you got working now ? Who are all the lucky folks who will be the recipients ?

Kinda embarrassing. It's twelve. :eek: I'll get some pics up this week (or it didn't happen!)

Three 9020 MT's, three 9020 MT mobo's transplanted into standard ATX cases, two 9020 SFFs, one 9010 MT, and three 7010 MT's transplanted into my buddy's kid's Socket775-era cases. A couple are staying in my house, but the majority are going to friends who I've helped with their builds over the years. Like, talented-but-starving musician types.
I said, "Heyo... I won't continue to support anything that's older than Haswell!". And, turns out, everyone was ready for a refresh. <cue three busy weekends>

Whew. This build rocks. Too much fun.

Last edited:
I said, "Heyo... I won't continue to support anything that's older than Haswell!". And, turns out, everyone was ready for a refresh. <cue three busy weekends>
I guarantee they will keep you very busy. Hackinoshes are like boomerangs, when you give them to friends and family they have a habit of coming back to you.
This build rocks. Too much fun.
In case it really does get out of control let me know. I can book you into a hackintosh addiction rehab center. I suppose I should put a warning at the beginning of post #1.

In case it really does get out of control let me know. I can book you into a hackintosh addiction rehab center. I suppose I should put a warning at the beginning of post #1.

Too true! At six units, I said to my buddy with the teens, "Somebody stop me!". And in his best Gene Wilder deadpan, he looked at me and said:

"stop"

Wasn't very effective.

So obviously that was what was holding me back, made it into macOS but got stuck on step four. No such EFI partition on my desktop. I may or may not have ejected it earlier because I forgot i still needed it :banghead:

Should I just admit I'm an idiot and restart or is it fixable? lol i really appreciate everything you're doing, thank you so much, preemptively.

Should I just admit I'm an idiot and restart or is it fixable?
When you run MultiBeast, it mounts the EFI partition. If it got unmounted for some reason, use this app:

Yes it should work but is better to use ram in dual channel mode. That requires a 2 x 4GB kit instead of a single 8GB DIMM.
Thanks, I wanted to buy 2 x 8GB.

three 7010 MT's transplanted into my buddy's kid's Socket775-era cases.
Would be great to have a brief pictorial on how you rewire the power switch for non-Dell cases. There are probably many readers that haven't done much MacGyvering such as this. The 7010s are nice in that they have 24 pin power connectors onboard and don't need expensive adapters to upgrade the PSU. Saves money. Ivy Bridge and HD4000 still works with Catalina which helps keep costs lower too.

Back