Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Can I use this in 9020 SSF?

Crucial 8 GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800U DDR3 1600MHz 240PIN DIMM RAM
Yes it should work but is better to use ram in dual channel mode. That requires a 2 x 4GB kit instead of a single 8GB DIMM.

I've been using all of the documents and been following all of the instructions in the original post. Install keeps getting stuck on the line

"IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, nov 0, sm 0x0"

Optiplex 7020, 4790, no GPU. Any help or link to a solution would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Connected to a DP output ? Or a VGA 15 pin output ? What kind of monitor, how are you connecting to that ?
Good questions, thank you for the fast reply. VGA output, XL2420TE monitor (it's 1080p) connected directly via VGA

Good questions, thank you for the fast reply. VGA output, XL2420TE monitor (it's 1080p) connected directly via VGA

You can buy DP to HDMI cables if your monitor doesn't have DP input. Check on Amazon.com.
1571701776275.png

Last edited:
Let me see if i understand correctly. The reason my install isn't working is because I'm using a VGA cable? Not for another reason?
100 % correct. macOS does not support VGA since about 2008 or 9. Windows 7, 8.1, 10 still support it because large corporations buy cheap VGA only monitors that it must work with. Cuts down on their costs.

From the Dell OptiMac Golden Build, post #1
The best way to connect a 4K monitor is direct DisplayPort out to DisplayPort in on the monitor. Apple has always preferred to use DP in Macs vs. HDMI. They stopped supporting analog VGA connections over ten years ago. If using onboard graphics this works with the suggested LG 4K monitor which has a full size DisplayPort 1.4 input.

Link to a quality DP cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HVDMW2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Let me see if i understand correctly. The reason my install isn't working is because I'm using a VGA cable? Not for another reason?
Can confirm... it’s surprising, but true.
I was testing a batch of RAM DIMMs on two 9020’s with only one monitor, by using a DP->DVI cable on one 9020, and the monitor’s VGA port for the other 9020. That way they could both be running MemTest86 at the same time (takes a couple of hours).

Then I updated/configured BIOS, and started OptiMac installs... wait what? One worked, but VGA system failed to start, similar to your description. It was fine, actually. Just had to switch to DisplayPort.

Back