Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Thank you for this awesome guide!

I just ordered a 9020 SFF (not USFF) from Amazon with 16GB/500GB for $199 prime shipped. I thought that was pretty good.

I currently have an HP ProDesk 600 G1 that I dropped a 4690k in and NVS 510 and I can not for the life of me get it to be stable. I've looked high and low for a few weeks for various posts and sites from all over without much success. So I decided I will try it with the Dell and sell the HP if it works.

Thanks again for the crazy thorough guide!

Good choice @triplec76

I had an HP 800 G1 SFF for a short time about a year ago. I really disliked it. HP started using cheaper fans and other lower quality components, and it just looked like a step backwards from the excellent 6300s and 8300s that I've owned. Put Windows on it and moved it on. After that, I looked into these Optiplex models, and they are a lot nicer to work with.

@craighazan has used the 4690K in one of these Haswell based Optiplex machines so we know for certain they work. Should have no problems getting Mojave or Catalina running.

Last edited:
Hi trs96,

Kudos on the exceptionally comprehensive guide! Super work :clap:

I've been experimenting on a couple of 9020 MT builds (replacing my households older Socket-775 Q9400 builds) and everything is going very well with the 9020's (boots/sleeps/wakes/shutdown/Handoff/AirDrop/Continuity/audio). Using IGP on two 4690's & a 4790 MT at the moment, about to install a RX580 on the i7 box (with PSU u/g).

Two wireless adapter questions, though.

1) If I use the Fenvi FV-T919 adapter, which of the usual-ish AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext should I use? Everything is working with none of those kexts, but the Profiler says RoW for locale, currently.

2) I need another BT/WiFi adapter. Which is the most-compatible (as I do use Handoff/AirDrop/Continuity, quite often). The FV-HB1200, or the FV-T919, or something else? I have a spare BCM94331CD in a PCI-E adapter, but I seem to have some issues with it and toleda's usual/current "Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth [Guide]". And I can't find a guide/solution that get's me consistently-working sleep with that card, surprisingly.

Unrelated to WiFI, on my 9020 MTs with 4690 or 4790 (both are Haswell CPUs, IIRC), the CPU is stuck at full-speed. Is there an easy fix for that? I already put the OptiMac SSDT files in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. And followed your guide's BIOS settings (no changes made to SpeedStep, etc).

I have a couple of suggestions to further improve your already-great instructions. Should I PM you with them, or add them to this thread?

Thanks again! This has been the best, easiest, and most-fun build ever for me... literally!

Last edited:
Good choice @triplec76
@craighazan has used the 4690k in one of these Haswell based Optiplex machines so we know for certain they work. Should have no problems getting Mojave or Catalina running.
No problem at all getting Mojave or Catalina working with the 4690k.

If I use the Fenvi FV-T919 adapter, which of the usual-ish AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext should I use?
Those usually aren't needed. If everything works don't install them.
I need another BT/WiFi adapter. Which is the most-compatible (as I do use Handoff/AirDrop/Continuity, quite often). The FV-HB1200, or the FV-T919, or something else?
Go with the HB1200. It's available at Newegg. Build quality is good. It's just as well supported as the T919.
Unrelated to WiFI, on my 9020 MTs with 4690 or 4790 (both are Haswell CPUs, IIRC), the CPU is stuck at full-speed. Is there an easy fix for that? I already put the OptiMac SSDT files in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
This is "normal" for these Haswell CPUs. It's probably some glitch in the ACPI. We haven't figured it out yet. Once I've got a solution it will be posted for everyone's benefit.

I have a couple of suggestions to further improve your already-great instructions. Should I PM you with them, or add them to this thread?
Just post them right here in the thread. I'll always listen to constructive feedback about the guide and consider changes if they are needed to make the guide better.
Thanks again! This has been the best, easiest, and most-fun build ever for me... literally!
Great to hear ! Hackintoshing should be enjoyable. It's a feeling of satisfaction you get from the DIY part that you just don't get with a perfectly packaged, brushed Aluminum Mac that you spend a few grand on, plug in and use. Then you regret having to pay off the large credit card bill, with interest. Don't forget to add on the 3 years Apple care either.

Last edited:
Great!
I'll do a bit of word-smithing on my notes in the AM. In the meantime...

On my 9020's, when using the OptiMac Guide's included SSDT-wxyz files, I find in IORegistryExplorer that HS13@14b00000 has a "UsbConnector" value of 0x3. But that USB port is the motherboard's internal USB header (commonly used for the Broadcom WiFi/BT cards). So, shouldn't that port have a value of 0xff (or dec 255) for UsbConnector, at least according to RehabMans SSDT guide? It's a super-easy local fix, but if I'm not wrong then the OptiMac-SSDT-pack might need a quick update. May well be the case that my info is dated.

Thx!

No problem at all getting Mojave or Catalina working with the 4690k.
Does it require any additional changes to make Catalina work from what this guide shows? New/different kexts? Clover version? Thanks!

Last edited:
Does it require any additional changes to make Catalina work from what this guide shows? New/different kexts? Clover version? Thanks!
Nope. I can swap out my Mojave NVMe for a Catalina NVMe and everything works, no additional/different kexts or clover needed.

Back