Contribute
Register

Surface Laptop stuck on +++ on first boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BeastOnFire
Yea it’s probably partitiondxe—it worked when there was only one partition. Did u use a custom voodooi2c or just the basic ones?

Fixed it with apfs.efi...i was pretty sure i formatted in hfsplus but whatever. maybe catalina requires it for some reason.

@BeastOnFire
Yea it’s probably partitiondxe—it worked when there was only one partition. Did u use a custom voodooi2c or just the basic ones?
I used voodooi2c and voodooi2chid. I’ve been trying to get the keyboard to work, but didn’t solve that (yet). The surface line seems to struggle with the keyboard on linux too, but some made it work on other surface products on macos. Maybe we need to do some research there, as i’ve tried multippe options but im running out of ideas :/

I used voodooi2c and voodooi2chid. I’ve been trying to get the keyboard to work, but didn’t solve that (yet). The surface line seems to struggle with the keyboard on linux too, but some made it work on other surface products on macos. Maybe we need to do some research there, as i’ve tried multippe options but im running out of ideas :/
Do you have hardware acceleration working? Mine isn’t working yet.

Do you have hardware acceleration working? Mine isn’t working yet.
I do, but I have the core m3-7y30 variant so I have Intel graphics 615. You need to look for the graphics number of your igpu, you can find it with the tool “hackintool”.
Furthermore, I gave up atm to get an acceptable working hackintosh. After doing some research, the keyboard, camera and battery are controlled by some ‘sam’ controller or whatever. The surface book 2 and surface pro 5 have something similar (furthermore, their dsdt matches for a great part with the one for the surface laptop). Seems like that controller is difficult to implement in even linux, let alone macos (search surface laptop linux, you’ll see what i mean). As long as no one gets the battery etc fixed (keyboards seems to work on sb2 and sp5 though), I don’t have high hopes to get this to work and will no longer spend time on it. So as Rehabman stated, surface products are terrible hackintoshes.

Last edited:
I do, but I have the core m3-7y30 variant so I have Intel graphics 615. You need to look for the graphics number of your igpu, you can find it with the tool “hackintool”.
Furthermore, I gave up atm to get an acceptable working hackintosh. After doing some research, the keyboard, camera and battery are controlled by some ‘sam’ controller or whatever. The surface book 2 and surface pro 5 have something similar (furthermore, their dsdt matches for a great part with the one for the surface laptop). Seems like that controller is difficult to implement in even linux, let alone macos (search surface laptop linux, you’ll see what i mean). As long as no one gets the battery etc fixed (keyboards seems to work on sb2 and sp5 though), I don’t have high hopes to get this to work and will no longer spend time on it. So as Rehabman stated, surface products are terrible hackintoshes.

I got full hardware acceleration by using basically my OG EFI with the RehabMan kext (not the spoofing one ofc cuz it’s 10.15), but with EmuVariableUefi.efi and no ApitoMemoryFix, which appeared to be the original problem. As for keyboard, I found SAM drivers for Linux—since macOS is very similar in architecture to Linux, being built on Unix, there may be a way to install or modify and install these ACPI patches: https://github.com/linux-surface/surface-aggregator-module

While you can get the trackpad to work quite well, the surface uses a propriatary module called SAM for keyboard and battery. That's why even in windows the keyboard doesn't work on a windows install until windows downloads the driver.

Outside of these two issues Mac runs well on my surface laptop 2. But without a functioning keyboard it's quite useless.

See here for more information: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0u-troubleshooting.280542/page-2#post-2071349

Hey mate, just got a surface laptop 1st gen, I would love to get Hackintosh running on it mid sharing your EFI folder and simple steps how you did it.

Thanks

Hey mate, just got a surface laptop 1st gen, I would love to get Hackintosh running on it mid sharing your EFI folder and simple steps how you did it.

Thanks
EFI is attached
Basically, I used RehabMan's HD615_620... config.plist, patched the graphics with the correct ig-platform-id, etc., added EmuVariableUefi.efi, removed all Apito fixes, added apfs.efi to support APFS booting, and added a couple VoodooI2C kexts to support the touchpad and I think the ambient light sensor. If you want a more detailed log, read the rest of this thread. This is for the Surface Laptop (1st gen) with i5--other models may require modification. If you need help just reply to this post and I'd be happy to help.

Attachments

• EFI drive.zip
    23.3 MB · Views: 231
Thank you mate, now we just need someone to port the SAM drivers from Linux over to mac and we will have a fully functional Hackintosh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back