Contribute
Register

[Success!] Snbd889's Video Editing Build: Core i7-4790k - GA-Z97X-UD5H - 16GB CORSAIR VENGENANCE RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of Geekbench score did you get and have you tired 3 or more monitors by chance ?

Thank you

Thanks so much for your tutorial it is very helpfull. Got a question.

Do you have any freeze ?
The reason I ask is because I do. I have the same mobo (GA-Z97x_UD5H) and processor 4790k and I have random freezes, often when I use usb port with external drive but not only. Sometimes the system freezes during After Effects renderering but there not really a pattern it is very random.
I am now on 10.9.5 + Multibeast but I'm curently installing Clover to see if it can fix the problem.
I think my Ram and GTX 580 and other parts of my hack are ok since I've used them in an other hack (with a Z77 mobo and a i-7 2600k) for 2 years without any trouble (with 10.8.5 and Multibeast), it was really rock stable. So either the problem comme from the Z97x or from the 4790k or 10.9.5 or the Multibeast install or from a mix of that...

So guys (it would be a great help) could tell me if you have any freeze problem with your GA-Z97x_UD5H ?
Thanks.

Freezes with Haswell systems occur, for the most part, because of the "tighter" specifications of the Haswell 8/9-series motherboard chipsets and processors. Make sure your:
- Memory is on the motherboard's support list (see motherboard's webpage, downloads) and
- PSU is rated Haswell "ready" or "certified."​
Finally, if your memory and PSU are compatible with Haswell, try setting the two Generate[P/C]State parameters to "No" in your /Extra/org.charmeleon.Boot.plist file. If setting the two Generate[P/C]State parameters to "No" works, you might explore better power management using an SSDT as discussed in the SSDT forum section: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/ However, the use of an SSDT is optional.

Ok, thanks a lot. These are precious infos.
I'll follow your advices. I'll let you know if there is any change or improvement.

try setting the two Generate[P/C]State parameters to "No" in your /Extra/org.charmeleon.Boot.plist file. If setting the two Generate[P/C]State parameters to "No" works, you might explore better power management using an SSDT as discussed in the SSDT forum section: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/ However, the use of an SSDT is optional.

My RAM is ok, it is in the official list. My PSU is Haswell ok too.
So I did add the strings :
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>No</string>
to org.chameleon.Boot.plist in Extra folder.
Unfortunatly 15 minutes after I did change the P States strings: first freeze. Just before I did a backup on an external USB drive, then I switched it off, everything was ok, I went to get a cup of coffee and boom when I came back the system was frozen.

This is very ennoying, I don't understand these random freezes.

One thing. Despite I set GeneratePStates to "No", DPCIManager tells that my system P States are 8, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
P States should be 40 only, no ?

No, having multiple P-States with the GeneratePStates=No is normal for Haswell running Yosemite. Your freezes might be due to a bad memory component. I recommend you run memtest for 24 hours to see if your memory is at fault. You

Ok, but I've used these RAM for 2 years in an other hack without any trouble.
But I'll do a memtest just to be sure because as you said Haswell mobo seems to need top components.

Thanks so much for your tutorial it is very helpfull. Got a question.

Do you have any freeze ?
The reason I ask is because I do. I have the same mobo (GA-Z97x_UD5H) and processor 4790k and I have random freezes, often when I use usb port with external drive but not only. Sometimes the system freezes during After Effects renderering but there not really a pattern it is very random.
I am now on 10.9.5 + Multibeast but I'm curently installing Clover to see if it can fix the problem.
I think my Ram and GTX 580 and other parts of my hack are ok since I've used them in an other hack (with a Z77 mobo and a i-7 2600k) for 2 years without any trouble (with 10.8.5 and Multibeast), it was really rock stable. So either the problem comme from the Z97x or from the 4790k or 10.9.5 or the Multibeast install or from a mix of that...

So guys (it would be a great help) could tell me if you have any freeze problem with your GA-Z97x_UD5H ?
Thanks.

Did you try clover? I have had no problems since installing clover.

Did you try clover? I have had no problems since installing clover.
Clover won't help him if he's got a bad or incompatible component(s).

Hi,

I've solved my freeze problems. I had two kinds of freezes:

1/ Few freezes when I used After Effects (render). This kind I've solved by changing the ram. I have switched from Corsair XMS3 (4x4 Go) despite the fact it is an officialy supported ram by my mobo and use instead G.Skill F3-1600CD9-16GXM (4x8 Go) and now I have no more freeze in After Effects. So there was an hardware problem. I think Haswell prefers 1.5v ram (XMS3 is 1.65v) but it is my guess.

2/For the USB freezes which were more frequent and more annoying I tried a lot of things, tweaking USBGeneric drivers mostly but nothing solved the problem. So I switch from Mavericks to Yosemite just to see and boom, no more USB freeze. Same thing with Mountain Lion. Under 10.8 and 10.10 my system is stable again. No freeze. So I guess there is something with Mavericks and I advice to people with the same mobo to not use 10.9.5 or even 10.9.x at all.

n.b. I had one freeze in Yosemite related to Cuda drivers. It seems the drivers are buggy in Yosemite and I advice not to use Cuda until it is fixed under 10.8.5 it is ok. I don't presently use Yosemite yet because a known bug in After Effects (Ram preview starts with a delay) with Yosemite that Adobe is currently working on.

Thanks for your help. I hope my experience will help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back