Contribute
Register

[Success!] Snbd889's Video Editing Build: Core i7-4790k - GA-Z97X-UD5H - 16GB CORSAIR VENGENANCE RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey denimdude,
maybe it's a little bit too late and you have already installed Sierra.:p I have installed macOS Sierra 10.12.1 last weekend. My rig is nearly identical to yours and for me there were just minor problems in the beginning. Tried to install Sierra like explained in the guide but it always got stuck. So I just tried it without any special bootflags, just using -v, and it just worked. Now even HDMI-Audio is working after some tinkering, which it didn't do before.:headbang: Now everyting is up and running smoothly. I would say it's safe to install macOS Sierra, but don't forget to backup your data, just in case. ;)

Would you mind sharing your Clover config / installed drivers? I have a build very similar to yours (Fractal Design Hackintosh) that ran Yosemite perfectly for years. Actually used this guide to get it running. However, it started freaking out when I upgraded to Sierra. I've tried dozens of Clover configs, but keep running into the same cycle of issues:

Every time I fix it, it will boot correctly for about a week, and then start dropping into sleep mode shortly after Clover boot and lots of verbose. Can't connect via screensharing (constantly connects), but can connect via SSH.

I've attached my current config.plist and a screenshot of the drivers I'm using.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Drivers.png
    Drivers.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 129
Would you mind sharing your Clover config / installed drivers? I have a build very similar to yours (Fractal Design Hackintosh) that ran Yosemite perfectly for years. Actually used this guide to get it running. However, it started freaking out when I upgraded to Sierra. I've tried dozens of Clover configs, but keep running into the same cycle of issues:

Every time I fix it, it will boot correctly for about a week, and then start dropping into sleep mode shortly after Clover boot and lots of verbose. Can't connect via screensharing (constantly connects), but can connect via SSH.

I've attached my current config.plist and a screenshot of the drivers I'm using.

Hey Callaginn2013,

attached my config.plist (crossed out my Serial-Number an UUID) and a screenshot of my driver-folder.

I never had problems like the one you explained. Also never messed with my drivers (at least I can't remember to have done so). :) The only thing sleep-related I have done is that I installed the fix for audio after waking up from sleep.
You seem to use a lot of Boot-Args, maybe try using less.

Also (I believe) MacPro 5,1 isn't supporting Sierra, so this may be the main thing you need to change. My Build is running great when set to iMac 14,2. :p

Attachments

• Driver.jpeg
    Driver.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 182
  • config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
MacPro5,1 is supported by Sierra. MacPro3,1 is not support. Thus, we changed the default System Definition in MultiBeast for Sierra to iMac14,2 from MacPro3,1 in earlier versions of MultiBeast.

Hey Callaginn2013,

attached my config.plist (crossed out my Serial-Number an UUID) and a screenshot of my driver-folder.

I never had problems like the one you explained. Also never messed with my drivers (at least I can't remember to have done so). :) The only thing sleep-related I have done is that I installed the fix for audio after waking up from sleep.

Also (I believe) MacPro 5,1 isn't supporting Sierra, so this may be the main thing you need to change. My Build is running great when set to iMac 14,2. :p

@mactob: Awesome, thanks! I'll be comparing this to my setup tonight to see what's going on.

A few quick questions, though:
a) Are you using a custom DSDT or SSDT?
b) Are you using the Nvidia Web Drivers? Don't see any mention of them in your config...
c) Which kexts do you have installed? And did you use Clover for this, or place them in S/L/E?

Last edited:
Hey Callaginn2013,

I switched to your config.plist with a few minor tweaks:
  • Added NvidiaWeb
  • Added No Caches
  • Added -v cpus=1 debug=0x100
  • Changed Default Boot Volume to Launch
  • Added boot Timeout
  • Deleted Custom GUI Entries
  • Added Scan/Auto = Yes
  • Disabled AppleHDA patches
  • Generated my own iMac14,2 SMBIOS
Unfortunately, I had fleeting success with this configuration. It booted flawlessly for the first time in weeks and ran stable for several hours. However, when I tried booting it the next day, it got all the way to IOConsoleUsers and then the monitor went to sleep. (No changes were made in between).

In other words, it seems like I'm still running into the same issue as before. Any ideas? And could it have anything to do with you running a GTX 970 vs my GTX 760? Or maybe there are differences between kexts/dsdt/ssdt?

I'd also note that I'm using no DSDT or SSDT and am loading only three kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/:
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Last edited:
I switched to your config.plist with a few minor tweaks:
  • Added NvidiaWeb
  • Added No Caches
  • Added -v cpus=1 debug=0x100
  • Changed Default Boot Volume to Launch
  • Added boot Timeout
  • Deleted Custom GUI Entries
  • Added Scan/Auto = Yes
  • Disabled AppleHDA patches
  • Generated my own iMac14,2 SMBIOS
Unfortunately, I had fleeting success with this configuration. It booted flawlessly for the first time in weeks and ran stable for several hours. However, when I tried booting it the next day, it got all the way to IOConsoleUsers and then the monitor went to sleep. (No changes were made in between).

In other words, it seems like I'm still running into the same issue as before. Any ideas? And could it have anything to do with you running a GTX 970 vs my GTX 760? Or maybe there are differences between kexts/dsdt/ssdt?

I'd also note that I'm using no DSDT or SSDT and am loading only three kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/:
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
Sorry for the late reply, haven't logged in for quite some time ;)

I can't really remember to have dealt with the DSDT or SSDT. I maybe used Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen because I have a SSDT in my /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ folder.

Regarding the Nvidia Web Driver: In order to get the correct amount of video memory to show in the system info I needed to set the Web Driver part in the config to false even though I am using them. Seems to be a known problem with the 9 series GTX.

I have the following kexts in the clover kexts/10.12 and kexts/other folders: AppleIntelE1000e, FakeSMC amd realtekALC. Make sure you have the current versions of these. In addition I have the kexts for HWMonitor there, but they shouldn't matter.

Of course your problem could be due to the 760 but the SSDT shouldn't affect the GPU because it's meant for power optimization regarding the CPU. Seems like some people are having problems with their 760 since macOS Sierra, I don't know if there is a common fix for that :( Have you tried running with the onboard graphics for troubleshooting purpose? Hoping you can figure it out :thumbup:

Sorry for the late reply, haven't logged in for quite some time ;)

I can't really remember to have dealt with the DSDT or SSDT. I maybe used Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen because I have a SSDT in my /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ folder.

Regarding the Nvidia Web Driver: In order to get the correct amount of video memory to show in the system info I needed to set the Web Driver part in the config to false even though I am using them. Seems to be a known problem with the 9 series GTX.

I have the following kexts in the clover kexts/10.12 and kexts/other folders: AppleIntelE1000e, FakeSMC amd realtekALC. Make sure you have the current versions of these. In addition I have the kexts for HWMonitor there, but they shouldn't matter.

Of course your problem could be due to the 760 but the SSDT shouldn't affect the GPU because it's meant for power optimization regarding the CPU. Seems like some people are having problems with their 760 since macOS Sierra, I don't know if there is a common fix for that :( Have you tried running with the onboard graphics for troubleshooting purpose? Hoping you can figure it out :thumbup:

@mactob

No worries. I sometimes go a few months without logging in too.

I ended up getting help from @adrianstone in another thread. Was able to combine some of his settings with mine to get a mostly stable build. Posted everything on a github repo, to help out other people with similar setups:
https://github.com/reynardfox/z97x-ud5h

I think the key was running on 14,2 and rebuilding the kernel caches with these terminal commands:
Code:
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

My machine is pretty stable, but there are a few known issues:
  • iPhoto's facial recognition feature bootloops my machine. However, I was able to break out of that bootloop by removing the launch agent. I went into more detail about that in the same thread. Lightroom, on the other hand, doesn't have any pesky issues like that.
  • About once or twice a day, my screen will flash. I figure either the graphics card is going out or I need to upgrade macOS Sierra? Still running on 10.12.3 with the Nvidia Web Drivers.
  • Upgrading to Sierra borked my search. I tried all the usual terminal commands for a few days, but finally gave up on fixing it. However, about two weeks ago...I tried out Alfred and noticed a setting called "Rebuild macOS Metadata" in it. Clicking that ended up fixing all my issues. Although I could have sworn I tried that a couple of times in Terminal months ago.
  • About once a month, my machine will restart for seemingly no reason. Haven't looked into that yet.
  • I don't think my sound ports work, but I've bypassed that issue by using USB speakers.
I've got a few questions for you, though, that might help me work through a few things:
  1. Does your build have any known issues?
  2. What version of macOS X are you currently running on and are you using the nVidia drivers?
  3. Would you mind zipping up a copy of your Clover config? I'm always curious about how other people's setups compare to mine. Especially interested in more details about your SSDT, since we've got the same motherboard and processor. Don't forget to comment out the serial numbers, of course : P

@mactob

No worries. I sometimes go a few months without logging in too.

I ended up getting help from @adrianstone in another thread. Was able to combine some of his settings with mine to get a mostly stable build. Posted everything on a github repo, to help out other people with similar setups:
https://github.com/reynardfox/z97x-ud5h

I think the key was running on 14,2 and rebuilding the kernel caches with these terminal commands:
Code:
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

My machine is pretty stable, but there are a few known issues:
  • iPhoto's facial recognition feature bootloops my machine. However, I was able to break out of that bootloop by removing the launch agent. I went into more detail about that in the same thread. Lightroom, on the other hand, doesn't have any pesky issues like that.
  • About once or twice a day, my screen will flash. I figure either the graphics card is going out or I need to upgrade macOS Sierra? Still running on 10.12.3 with the Nvidia Web Drivers.
  • Upgrading to Sierra borked my search. I tried all the usual terminal commands for a few days, but finally gave up on fixing it. However, about two weeks ago...I tried out Alfred and noticed a setting called "Rebuild macOS Metadata" in it. Clicking that ended up fixing all my issues. Although I could have sworn I tried that a couple of times in Terminal months ago.
  • About once a month, my machine will restart for seemingly no reason. Haven't looked into that yet.
  • I don't think my sound ports work, but I've bypassed that issue by using USB speakers.
I've got a few questions for you, though, that might help me work through a few things:
  2. What version of macOS X are you currently running on and are you using the nVidia drivers?
  3. Would you mind zipping up a copy of your Clover config? I'm always curious about how other people's setups compare to mine. Especially interested in more details about your SSDT, since we've got the same motherboard and processor. Don't forget to comment out the serial numbers, of course : P
@ReynardFox

Getting back to you sooner this time ;) I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

I'm not aware of any at this point and time except sporadic kernel panics when booting (starts right up the next try). Had issues with iMessage, onboard Audio, HDMI Audio and no sound after sleep. I managed to fix all of those with the following guides (special thanks to @toleda and @P1LGRIM :thumbup:).
    1. iMessage with this guide (also created unique serial numer).
    2. ALC1150 onboard Audio with this guide.
    3. HDMI Audio witch this guide.
    4. No sound after sleep with this guide.
    1. macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) with Clover 4200
    2. Yes, I'm running the NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.25f01
  3. Would you mind zipping up a copy of your Clover config?
    Nope, I don't mind :p I didn't zip it up 1:1 like it is on my EFI partition, I don't want to redistribute the kexts for example. Made a screenshot of those folders (and a few files) instead (also in the zip) :) Expect some chaos and redundance on my EFI partition and files, updated/patched the system several times.
    Regarding the SSDT and DSDT: I'm not really sure if I generated and/or use them. Doesn't bother me now because the system is running great the way it is.
I want to do a clean install of macOS High Sierra in the future after I kinda know what I'm doing now (sometimes :rolleyes:). But that project will have to wait until there is more information on installation and everything is compatible :angel:.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    176.1 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back