Contribute
Register

[Success!] Snbd889's Video Editing Build: Core i7-4790k - GA-Z97X-UD5H - 16GB CORSAIR VENGENANCE RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as far as I know Chrome is not well optimized on OSX in matter of ram consumption. I personality use Firefox after having tried Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
You should stick to it. And if it runs ok on clover not bother with multibeast. But you mention a high ram consumption with Chrome and therefore a kernel panic so may be it is related to ram more that to Chrome. May be a defective chip. You should test your ram with memtest, it is very easy and this way you will be sure that the problem come from Chrome.

i'm hopeful; this is another morning without a kernel panic so far. my firefox and evernote applications had crashed during the night, but the system is still running.

i ran rember overnight a couple of days ago. it did 5 loops without error. i may try to run it all weekend, too. for some reason, i couldn't get memtest to boot from a key drive. i don't know how much longer to spend trying that, but i'd like to run memtest from the outside just to check the ram.

my bluetooth card should get here today. we'll see if that increases instability.

thanks for the thoughts,

What does the optional SSDT.aml do? I've been having kernal panicks, and an unresponsive finder after waking from sleep (details here). I removed the SSDT.aml away from the patched folder in hopes that it resolves my problems. I'm testing it out now, but I'm still having sleep/hibernate issues, mainly that my computer wont go to sleep when t*****t applications are open, whether "wake for ethernet access" is checked off or on.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the replies. I've updated my profile to show hardware. I'm running 10.10.1.

yesterday's kernel panic showed chrome as the problem, not my ram. so yesterday i migrated everything over to Firefox. and this morning, after sleeping all night, the machine didn't panic on wakeup.

I'm hoping that's a new trend. I'm hesitant to try a fresh install using MultiBeast just because this is my daily work computer and i don't want the downtime. but that's a good idea. if i keep having problems, i'll have to try it.

one advantage using only firefFirefoxox seems to have is lower memory usage. i don't know if anyone has tracked this, but when i ran chrome, my ram usage was crazy. but right now I've got 4 windows open with 22 tabs in all, not all of them have loaded since the last start, but I'm at less than 25% in total ram usage. makes me wonder if i could have skipped the hackintosh and just used Firefox on my Mac Mini. oh well.

I had a problem and it ended up being OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi so I used OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and after I changed it and rebooted, haven't had a problem

I had a problem and it ended up being OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi so I used OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and after I changed it and rebooted, haven't had a problem

Yes, I completely forgot to mention I did that too! I also added the CSMvideoDXE driver for my 2560x1440 display.

kernel panics have continued. i thought that i'd taken care of them by not using chrome, but that theory is gone. here are the logs:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AERbh3gdO5VAQZt4adBj9bSZqw5gt1xy7B4
https://www.evernote.com/l/AES64HId_25JhoEgcYyCC3V_TZzf2SZGuYI
https://www.evernote.com/l/AESUR-3kGXRJ-69Em2IrI_kjbgVQ3MU80ak
https://www.evernote.com/l/AETozkukZkhPm5S7ifXU5Sk-dA_Hjxkb1Tc
https://www.evernote.com/l/AEQ680H-DqlNJrb307u8iS8M8TeLdp_e8fY

if anyone has an idea as to what they mean, i'm all ears.

i took out 2 ram chips to see if that does anything. the first thing i noticed is that the box's fan started spinning. it's never spun before. does that mean anything to anyone?

i've also added bluetooth from osxwifi: http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh

it's working, but, so far, it's been spotty with, especially the track pad, not responding well and jumping all over the place.

i'd love your thoughts,

For freezes, confirm the instructions in post #23.

How do you get the logs after a kernel panic? If you find a solution, please post back here, because I'm having the same problems you are.

For freezes, confirm the instructions in post #23.

Hey Stork, I followed your instructions and I've checked off most things.

Memory should be on the motherboard's support list (memory and motherboard selected from Tonymac's buyers guide. Z97X-UD5H, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tacital). PSU should be Haswell certified (Corsair RM650, recommended in Tonymac's guide). Generate P/C States are set to "No" in clover's config.plist. The only thing I haven't done is make an SSDT. I was using the optional SSDT.aml that was provided in this guide, but I deleted it to see if I'd have better results without it. So far I'm no longer getting a "The application Finder can't be opened" message, but instead getting random resets/panics after waking from sleep.

Is generating an SSDT the next course of action? I looked at the thread you linked, but I didn't see support for Yosemite. Would modifying "Darkwake" possibly resolve this issue? I'm so close to having a fully functional Hack!

whitenoise, when my hack panics, it's a reboot. it usually happens on the first wake of the morning, but recently, more frequently. on the reboot, i get a window saying that something went wrong. following that window to the reporting option gives me a log of what happened. i don't understand most of it, but that's where it is.

today, my firefox seemed to just freeze. it eventually unlocked, but it was weird. so i'm trying my browser mix again. i've got both chrome and firefox opened.

as reported, i took out two ram chips and am only running 16 gigs of ram right now. the first thing i noticed was that one of my fans that hasn't been running started running. i need to try putting the ram in again to see if the fan shuts off just to confirm the causation.

i'm also pushing my memory limit; using 14.2 gbs of the 16. i guess the real test will come tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back