Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Monterey12.1 Z97X-UD3H Haswell i7-4790K HD4600

All right. So I've made much progress. I upgraded from OC 0.77 to 0.88. I received a Fenvi T919 card and got that working as well. I mapped all my USB ports using USBMap.

Till now I've been running on the internal graphics, but I just received my RX-560 GPU.

Edited below to answer my own questions. I got the eGPU to work by making the changes below (see ✅ & ❌ below).

What do I have to change in OpenCore to get the new GPU to work?

• Do I have to remove✅/change the PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) section in DeviceProperties, or do I keep it?
  • Do I keep✅ WhateverGreen or remove it? The OpenCore GPU guide suggests I should keep it.
  • Any other KExts to add remove?❌
  • Any other OpenCore changes required? (I only had to remove --wegnoegpu)✅

Also what BIOS settings should I change (changed BIOS graphics from IGFX to PCI), can I keep both the internal and external GPUs enabled at the same time❌ or should I set the BIOS to external only✅?

Any suggestions @Edhawk (since you are so knowledgeable :) )?

Last edited:
You should set your system as described in this post for a similar Monterey/Haswell/dGPU system. It uses a different AMD dGPU but that is not important as both AMD cards work out of the box in Monterey.

#3 iMac17,1 Haswell IGPU/GPU settings
  1. You need to set your Bios Graphics options so the dGPU is the first/priority option, not your IGPU.
  2. You need to connect your display to your dGPU not your IGPU.
  3. There are no kexts to add or remove, so you should retain WhateverGreen.kext in your setup.
  4. Only config.plist changes are new SMBIOS iMac17,1 and setting iGPU with headless framebuffer.

You should set your system as described in this post for a similar Monterey/Haswell/dGPU system. It uses a different AMD dGPU but that is not important as both AMD cards work out of the box in Monterey.

#3 iMac17,1 Haswell IGPU/GPU settings

Can't for the life of me get Monterey Installer to boot. It gets to a certain point, then the screen corrupts and I get the no-go symbol.

Trying to get this to work on a spare board I'd like to use as a backup file server mostly so ultimately it won't have a display.

I just want to get Monterey to install on the HD4600

Board is GA-7Z9X-UD7-TH + 4590K

Code:
11:418 00:181 AAPL: #[EB|SB:MKRN]
11:472 00:053 AAPL: #[EB.LD.LKFS|-?] Ok(0)
11:507 00:035 AAPL: #[EB.LD.LKC|-?] Ok(0)
11:546 00:038 AAPL: #[EB|BST:REV1]
11:589 00:043 AAPL: #[EB|CSR:OUT] 0x00000067
11:625 00:036 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|+]
11:661 00:035 AAPL: #[EB|GIP:PHS.1] loginwindow Boot
11:697 00:036 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|ADSZ] 0
11:733 00:035 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|KSSZ] 0
11:768 00:035 AAPL: #[EB|SB:SBGMFNS] x86legacyap.im4m
11:804 00:035 AAPL: #[EB|RH:PF] usr\standalone\OS.dmg.root_hash
11:839 00:035 AAPL: #[EB|RH:MF] <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash.x86legacyap.im4m">
11:874 00:034 AAPL: #[EB.LD.LF|IN] 0 1 <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash"> <"0">
11:917 00:043 AAPL: #[EB.LD.OFS|OPEN!] Err(0xE) <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash">
11:953 00:035 AAPL: #[EB.RH.LRH|P!] Err(0xE) <- EB.LD.LF
11:988 00:035 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|!] Err(0xE) <- EB.RH.LRH
12:024 00:035 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:DT] 2023-07-25T06:17:52
12:056 00:031 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] 2023-07-25T06:17:52

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 53
@TijuanaKez try the sanitised EFI attached below. See if that helps.

I assume you have removed the Nvidia card while you are installing macOS Monterey and are using the IGPU for all graphics processing.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 61
Moreover, go iMac20,1 and you can experiment with Sonoma ( HD 4600 ).
Thanks for that info. Just not sure why the Macmini7,1 in the EFI I posted doesn't work.

I assume you have removed the Nvidia card while you are installing macOS Monterey and are using the IGPU for all graphics processing.

No Nvidia card in this machine, I only need iGPU just so the OS will install. It will run totally headless with no display once it's installed. (Actually a bit of a Frankenstein project I'm building into an XRAID case)
updated my sig incase that was confusing.

I'll give that EFI a try, though OCC's validation check say's theirs no on mine issues.
I created mine from the very latest sample via Dortania, then incorporated most of your info after that.

Hmmm, still doesnt seem to work. Still just getting this.

tempImage4APBx4.jpg

What are BIOS settings these days for this board?

I'm loading Optimised Results then.

Display to iGPU
Disabling the Serial Port
Disabling Thunderbolt (for installation at least)
Disabling VT-d (tried both ways)

Or would anyone care to post an EFI for Z97X board on Monterey with just the HD4000?

The error in the screenshot you provided above is a standard one were the USB port you are using fails to transfer over from the bios to the OS. The garbled text says ‘Still waiting for root device’.

It means you need to use a different USB port when booting the macOS installer. Or move the USB pen drive to another port before the garbled text appears.

The error in the screenshot you provided above is a standard one were the USB port you are using fails to transfer over from the bios to the OS. The garbled text says ‘Still waiting for root device’.

It means you need to use a different USB port when booting the macOS installer. Or move the USB pen drive to another port before the garbled text appears.
Right you are!
From what I can gather, as of Monterey and newer, Z79 boards will require the USB ports mapped *prior* to installation.
So for me this meant installing Windows first temporarily and using USBToolbox to map the ports.
USBInjectAll.kext may have also worked temporarily to allow to installer to boot.

No, you don’t have to map the USB ports prior to installation. You can map the USB ports in macOS.

The XhciPortLimit quirk has been fixed, it works in the newer macOS releases if you are using OpenCore 0.9.2+, so no need to map the ports in Windows.

Also I would strongly recommend you use the SSDT-EHCx-OFF.aml table from my EFI folder. This will shunt all the EHC1/EH01 & EHC2/EH02 ports to the XHC controller, which makes the USB port discovery easier.

Back