Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I was running a Big Sur 11.6.1 on iMac 15,1 SMBIOS

I wanted to upgrade to Monterey, mainly because of support for AMD RX 6600 XT graphics card, which is the only “reasonably” priced available graphics card for hackintosh. Otherwise I am quite happy with Big Sur.

First I updated open core to 0.7.6 , and smbios to iMac 17,1 on Big Sur. No issues. Monterey download showed up. Downloaded Monterey 12.0.1 / open core 7.6 debug, and tried fresh install to another ssd. Stopped with USBHost error.

I was using USBInstall kext on Big Sur, and it was fine, But not this time. Using hackintool, I mapped the USB ports, and generated USBPorts kext. But then it would stop at IOG Flags 0x3 (0x51) / Graphics state error. Even with 12.1, and tinkering with config file didn’t help. Generally, initial OS versions always gave me trouble. Only .2 or .3 os works well.

Anyway, today I saw open core 0.7.7 beta available. Took the 12.1 usb installer and updated to opencore 0.7.7 debug. Double checked the config file, tried fresh install.

And it worked !

USB ports : working

ethernet : working

video : working. No graphics glitches.

Audio : partial. Headphone out is working. HDMI audio is not working.

Wifi : card is TP 4800. people say it won’t work. So, didn’t even tried.

Display : Benq 1440p monitor is showing with max 1080p resolution only.
I think it is a Monterey bug

Happy that a 2014 computer is still relevant, because of tonymacx86, clover, and open core. Thanks to trs96, Edhawk and many others for helping this community.

Monterey success.png

Last edited:
Hi, I have exactly the same configuration, can you please share your OC backup? I'm trying to do Monterey upgrade but a critical error aways come out and I can't solve it.
Thank you so much

Hi, I have exactly the same configuration, can you please share your OC backup? I'm trying to do Monterey upgrade but a critical error aways come out and I can't solve it.
Thank you so much
Sure. you seem to have dGPU, so check device properties accordingly. And new smbios too.

Attachments

• imac171_config.plist
    27.7 KB · Views: 587
  • EFI_Monterey_oc77_imac171_ref.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 1,235
Let's save some time, post a copy of your EFI so I can see what you are using. As at least one of the statements you provided above doesn't match the USB details you provided in post #7. By that I mean if you were using the SSDT-EHCx_Off.aml table the two EHCx hubs wouldn't be visible in Hackintool.

Remember to remove the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID from your OpenCore config.plist before you post a copy here.

Hello,

I also succeed to update today, same cpu 4790K, Asus H-87M-plus board , RX580.
everything Working flawlessly same as in catalina, I didn’t play with my hackintosh for long time, I didn’t able to upgrade to Big Sur Couple of months ago.
today I upgrade my clover to 5142 than installed quirk support.
After that automatic upgrade to Monterey 12.2, worked like a charm.

very happy with my revived hackintosh, the 4790K still working great.

OK, that was always an option, as is MacPro6,1 or MacPro7,1.

But what you need to remember is to make sure your USBPorts.kext matches the SMBIOS you select. Using a USBPorts.kext with the SMBIOS model for a different Mac system will cause issues.

Back