Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Monterey12.1 Z97X-UD3H Haswell i7-4790K HD4600

Yes, the ports are numbered top to bottom, left to right. same for the front ports.
Appreciate the inputs from Edhawk, and Chico. I will try again probably this weekend.

updated to 12.3 on OC 0.7.7.

monterey123 update.png

Guys im using iMac Pro 1,1 with my spec… find it to work very well…
I found that you made asus h87m-plus work well, can you please share your efi files? Thanks!

I was running a Big Sur 11.6.1 on iMac 15,1 SMBIOS
Hi

sriHacPro !!​

Im just making research about upgrading from high sierra to big sur or any... It's time to do it! But, as many of you, I have to change my nvidia card to an AMD.

Now, that the prices start going down, Im able to buy one and I want to ask for your help. I read that you have almost the same mobo that I have, a gigabyte z97x-ud5h-bk, and I wonder if you have any issues with your rx 6600 xt gpu? Should I buy a specific brand?? there are plenty of 6600 xt gpus out there. Could you bring me some advice in the next steps?? Have been so long that i built my hackintosh, that I lost the flow hahaha. Thanks you for any help you can give me.

Hi

sriHacPro !!​

Im just making research about upgrading from high sierra to big sur or any... It's time to do it! But, as many of you, I have to change my nvidia card to an AMD.

Now, that the prices start going down, Im able to buy one and I want to ask for your help. I read that you have almost the same mobo that I have, a gigabyte z97x-ud5h-bk, and I wonder if you have any issues with your rx 6600 xt gpu? Should I buy a specific brand?? there are plenty of 6600 xt gpus out there. Could you bring me some advice in the next steps?? Have been so long that i built my hackintosh, that I lost the flow hahaha. Thanks you for any help you can give me.
It's been a month since I installed RX 6600 XT. It's plug and play, and I haven't faced any issues with it.
It is running cool, and quiet. All ports are working. Ran some bench marks, and checked vitals with iStats menu, and it's all ok.

Generally speaking, Sapphire cards are first choice. Nitro+ and normal one, both cards are fine.
I got Gigabyte Gaming card as it was available in a sale. It is also fine.
Even Asus Dual and Asrock cards should be fine. I didn't find any complaints on internet.

Gigabyte Eagle model cards seem to have coil whine issue. So, better avoid that card.

One thing to consider is Gigabyte cards have 2 HDMI and 2 DisplayPort outputs. Where as other 6600 XT cards have 1 HDMI and 3 display ports.

also check the size of cards and if they fit in your case. Asus Dual is a compact one. Others are a bit large.

@Edhawk I'm just about to try to install ventura on this exact board. I've built Hackintoshes before but it's been a while. Since this guide is about ayear old, could you suggest how to approach this today? I'm planning on using OpenCore. Is there any way you could upload the relevant Kexts, config file etc? I was also hoping to continue to use my Quadro K620, not sure if that's possible.

It is not possible to continue with the Nvidia Quadro K620, not when running macOS Monterey or Ventura. All the Kepler dGPU's lost support with the release of Monterey. While Chris1111's Kepler patcher worked in the early releases of macOS Monterey, they stopped working with the release of Monterey 12.3.

If you plan to use the Quadro K620, then Big Sur is your best option, using iMac15,1 SMBIOS.

If you plan to use the Intel HD4600 IGPU to drive your display, then you can run the latest release of Monterey. Using the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS and the following framebuffer entries in the OC config.plist.

512808-7c249235fe0b6e8e95e566b97b0d3c79.jpg.png

For Ventura you need a compatible AMD GPU, i.e. Polaris, Vega or Navi. None of the older AMD GPU's work in Ventura, as Apple removed the drivers from Ventura for the older AMD GPU's.

Any of the EFI's I have attached in this thread can be adapted to work with your system to run Big Sur or Monterey. You won't gain any great benefit from using the latest version of OpenCore or the essential kexts. They can be updated once you have macOS installed.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think you did attach any EFIs to this thread, but @sriHacPro seems to have done so.

I was actually hoping to run Ventura, since that will give me a longer lifespan than Monterey before I'm forced to upgrade. Is this not a good idea for this board? I see that @sriHacPro claims to have gotten it to work here Haswell Ventura beta Z97X 4790K.

Also, supposing that I don't go with the on board graphics, what would be a cheapt Ventura compatible graphics card that would work. AS you can see I have a K620, so I don't go for top end graphics cards. :)

Thanks for the reply. I don't think you did attach any EFIs to this thread, but @sriHacPro seems to have done so.

I was actually hoping to run Ventura, since that will give me a longer lifespan than Monterey before I'm forced to upgrade. Is this not a good idea for this board? I see that @sriHacPro claims to have gotten it to work here Haswell Ventura beta Z97X 4790K.

Also, supposing that I don't go with the on board graphics, what would be a cheapt Ventura compatible graphics card that would work. AS you can see I have a K620, so I don't go for top end graphics cards. :)
you will still have issues with Ventura due to your CPU, stick with Monterey

Ok, good to know about Ventura not being stable.

So is the general procedure still:
  1. Prepare install media.
  2. install.
  3. Run some post install utility (which? ) or do i just copy/update EFI partition manually.

Back