Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CaseySJ, I would like to ask you as I'm thinking to upgrade my systems from 9th gen to 14th gen with 14700k processors and Asus Proart z790 motherboards. From your experience with your Proart z690 what do you think about Sonoma compatibility and any known issues I may encounter on my way there? I'm trying to avoid for a few years Mac Studios as I can get the same performance with much less money. Hopefully if Apple provides 1-2 years more intel support for the next operating systems would be great! Proart z790 is identical as I can see with z690 right? Does that mean that your config.plist will work with z790?

Try this patch included in OpenCore's sample.plist. Make sure Enabled -> Yes
That did fix the wake-up issue! Unfortunately, when I wake up my system (on purpose, with the keyboard) late afternoon, my system clock has moved 7 days into the future. It did it yesterday, and again today. If i enable/disable 'set time and date automatically', it fixes it.

I wonder if my system was waking to sync the time...

That did fix the wake-up issue! Unfortunately, when I wake up my system (on purpose, with the keyboard) late afternoon, my system clock has moved 7 days into the future. It did it yesterday, and again today. If i enable/disable 'set time and date automatically', it fixes it.

I wonder if my system was waking to sync the time...
What about the system time in BIOS? Is it frozen? Does the time move? I'd try clearing the CMOS or maybe replace the battery if needed.

I'm thinking of upgrading from Monterey to Sonoma. For what I can see we need to switch to onboard Intel wifi, is there any guide to do this? On the first page I see links to micro-guides for installing Intel drivers, are these up to date?
Many thanks.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 18.33.44.png

I'm thinking of upgrading from Monterey to Sonoma. For what I can see we need to switch to onboard Intel wifi, is there any guide to do this? On the first page I see links to micro-guides for installing Intel drivers, are these up to date?
Many thanks.

I successfully used Casey's latest Mini-Guide, which was posted in the Asus Z690 thread.

What about the system time in BIOS? Is it frozen? Does the time move? I'd try clearing the CMOS or maybe replace the battery if needed.
I wasn't thinking about the CMOS battery, since I thought in a 'sleep' state it would be drawing from the PSU. However, I read that isn't necessarily the case, and so I replaced the battery. I also switched my NTP server to Cloudflare, because I was seeing 'switching to high port/low port' NTP errors in my system log. Hopefully one, or both will help. Thanks!

Just updated to Ventura 13.6 from Big Sur. Ethernet wasn't working until I changed a few settings. Can't get wifi to work but bluetooth seems to find things. Also, if I hold down ctrl key and scroll on mouse to Zoom in my screens go black, any ideas on that?

Just updated to Ventura 13.6 from Big Sur. Ethernet wasn't working until I changed a few settings. Can't get wifi to work but bluetooth seems to find things. Also, if I hold down ctrl key and scroll on mouse to Zoom in my screens go black, any ideas on that?

Hi there.

Not sure about the mouse scrolling. What type of mouse is it?

As for the WiFi ... Well if you updated to one of the later point upgrades of Ventura they suffer from the same problem Sonoma does in that most Broadcom chipsets have been deprecated and no-longer work - unless they are the solder-in type Apple uses (which we are unable to purchase aftermarket). For this problem there is a new patch included in the latest OpenCore Legacy Patcher apps. Otherwise Intel is the way to go.

:)

Hi there.

Not sure about the mouse scrolling. What type of mouse is it?

As for the WiFi ... Well if you updated to one of the later point upgrades of Ventura they suffer from the same problem Sonoma does in that most Broadcom chipsets have been deprecated and no-longer work - unless they are the solder-in type Apple uses (which we are unable to purchase aftermarket). For this problem there is a new patch included in the latest OpenCore Legacy Patcher apps. Otherwise Intel is the way to go.

:)
What does this motherboard "WiFi" come standard with?

Also, its just a Logitech mouse. The options are under Accessibility area, but this locks up my whole computer when i do this as 2 of my screens go black and the mouse disappears.

I also noticed that upgrading to Ventura I lost 2 of my front USB ports (non-USB3), why would that happen?

Last edited:
What does this motherboard "WiFi" come standard with?

The Gigabyte website says it has built-in Intel wireless, but from here I don't know which model. Most are supported by the OpenIntelWireless kexts.

I also noticed that upgrading to Ventura I lost 2 of my front USB ports (non-USB3), why would that happen?

That would depend on how you have configured your USB ports already.

Back