Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I loaded Windows 10 on a SSD while all other drives, including m.2 drives were taken out. Put everything back together, bootloader shows both windows and Monterey 12.6.7. Monterey loads but freezes only after a cold boot at the log in. A forced restart and everything runs smoothly. This is consistently repeatable.

I disconnected the windows 10 SSD, no freezing. I connected a blank harddrive just in case there was an issue with the SATA port or connector, no freezing. Thoughts?
Couple of things come to mind:
  • What is the make and model of the Windows SSD?
  • Are Intel Optane drivers installed in Windows?

Couple of things come to mind:
  • What is the make and model of the Windows SSD?
  • Are Intel Optane drivers installed in Windows?
Hi @CaseySJ SSD for windows 10 is a Kingston SA400S37 240G. I downloaded all drivers required for Intel, don't know if those were installed.

HERE'S WHAT I DISCOVERED

1. Computer would not freeze at log in if the Windows SSD was disconnected
2. After 2 more days of work, computer began to freeze at login and then during some work even with the SSD disconnected. I also noticed some mouse stutters every once in a while.
3. After 5 years of constant use with this Hackintosh, I know what these stutters and freezes mean: RAM. So in BIOS, I took my 64 GB DDR4 down to 2133 from 3166. Half a year before that, I had it past 4000. A few years back I also had to disable XMP.

SOLUTION
Taking the RAM down to 2133 solved all freezing and now the computer boots fine even with the Windows 10 SSD connected, even from a cold boot. I also run cinebench r23 on loop while opening every app on the computer at once and then render something in Davinci - all at the same time. That's my test for stability. It blasts through it. In fact, the OS is now snappier with slower RAM :):lol:

Do we know if 13.1.4(c) breaks anything in this build?
My Z390 [OC 093] is working fine. The (non-sleep) idle power usage on my system seems to hover around 70W, 11W lower than what it was on 13.1.0. I still have no news or help for my Z370, which is marooned on OC 060 and Mojave.

Ok Thanks , so the way to reduce memory frequency would be to de-activate profile xmp and set the system memory multiplier to 2133, no other tweaks ?

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
Hi @CaseySJ SSD for windows 10 is a Kingston SA400S37 240G. I downloaded all drivers required for Intel, don't know if those were installed.

HERE'S WHAT I DISCOVERED
1. Computer would not freeze at log in if the Windows SSD was disconnected
2. After 2 more days of work, computer began to freeze at login and then during some work even with the SSD disconnected. I also noticed some mouse stutters every once in a while.
3. After 5 years of constant use with this Hackintosh, I know what these stutters and freezes mean: RAM. So in BIOS, I took my 64 GB DDR4 down to 2133 from 3166. Half a year before that, I had it past 4000. A few years back I also had to disable XMP.

SOLUTION
Taking the RAM down to 2133 solved all freezing and now the computer boots fine even with the Windows 10 SSD connected, even from a cold boot. I also run cinebench r23 on loop while opening every app on the computer at once and then render something in Davinci - all at the same time. That's my test for stability. It blasts through it. In fact, the OS is now snappier with slower RAM :):lol:
thanks mattbatt for this, i need to try it, to de-activate profile xmp and set the system memory multiplier to 2133, no other tweaks ?

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 24
thanks mattbatt for this, i need to try it, to de-activate profile xmp and set the system memory multiplier to 2133, no other tweaks ?
Correct — no other tweaks.

@CaseySJ I know this has been said and follow already, But I just want to confirm I am getting the right files. I am in the process of Flashing my Z390 Designer Onboard Thunderbolt chip,
what is the recommended or the proper modified file. Which one is it, can you point me out please, and thanks in advance.

PS: I want to see if by flashing it my hackintosh can recognize my Silver Face Apollo Firewire with Thunderbolt option card. I have built 2 Z390 Designer and both won't recognize it. However, it does recognize the Apollo Twin.

PS: I want to see if by flashing it my hackintosh can recognize my Silver Face Apollo Firewire with Thunderbolt option card. I have built 2 Z390 Designer and both won't recognize it. However, it does recognize the Apollo Twin.
Which UAD Thunderbolt card? Are you trying this using that exact same Thunderbolt cable? Are you using any Thunderbolt adapters?

Back