Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

About two hours into using the computer, macOS gives me a message that some "add-ons" have been updated and that I need to restart to use them. I'm writing "add-ons" because I use the OS in Swedish and I think the direct translation would be "extensions", but I'm pretty sure the message did not refer to kexts. Then a window opens with a long list of items that almost all had a name with "- unidentified" at the end of it. The list very much resembled one of the lists under Privacy and Security in System Preferences, with tick/slide boxes to the right of each item. I now CANNOT find where this list is now though, it's nowhere in System Preferences as far as I can tell.
How old is the system you migrated? In other words, did that system start out with Mojave or Catalina or Big Sur or ...?

New drivers can be installed in the following directories:
  1. /Library/StagedExtensions
  2. /Library/Extensions
  3. /Library/StagedDriverExtensions

Depending on how old the original system is, it might be worth doing the following:
  1. Install fresh copy of Ventura again, but do not use Migration Assistant
  2. Instead, install your applications one by one (and re-enter the license information for apps that require it)

Ok, this is extremely frustrating. I did a clean install and then used Migration Assistant to get my old system back. Everything worked flawlessly. Wifi/Bluetooth back to normal, boot time around 10sec and both NVME drives were showing.

And then, something happened. I was stupid and dismissed the message too fast, so I actually don't really know what exactly happened but I'll try to explain it as good as I can.

About two hours into using the computer, macOS gives me a message that some "add-ons" have been updated and that I need to restart to use them. I'm writing "add-ons" because I use the OS in Swedish and I think the direct translation would be "extensions", but I'm pretty sure the message did not refer to kexts. Then a window opens with a long list of items that almost all had a name with "- unidentified" at the end of it. The list very much resembled one of the lists under Privacy and Security in System Preferences, with tick/slide boxes to the right of each item. I now CANNOT find where this list is now though, it's nowhere in System Preferences as far as I can tell.

I didn't think much of it and clicked restart, and boom - all the problems I've been talking about previously in the thread was back. Second NVME drive not showing, boot taking 4 min and bluetooth/wifi not working properly. The bluetooth problem literally started while I was typing, killing the keyboard connection.

This is beyond frustrating and I'm sorry for my stupidity to just click away the message before actually checking what was going on. Ofc, I can just do a fresh install again, and once that message and list shows up again I'll take screen shots. But maybe @CaseySJ or someone else might be able to figure out what I'm talking about and correct whatever happened, to spare me another 3-4 hours of work. :banghead:

Thanks!
And for sure, your system has only one EFI?
Also, are you connecting your monitor with DisplayPort or HDMI?

And for sure, your system has only one EFI?
Also, are you connecting your monitor with DisplayPort or HDMI?

Yep, I only have one drive in the system when doing these tests, with one EFI folder.

I’ve tried with both the HDMI and DP output.

How old is the system you migrated? In other words, did that system start out with Mojave or Catalina or Big Sur or ...?

New drivers can be installed in the following directories:
  1. /Library/StagedExtensions
  2. /Library/Extensions
  3. /Library/StagedDriverExtensions

Depending on how old the original system is, it might be worth doing the following:
  1. Install fresh copy of Ventura again, but do not use Migration Assistant
  2. Instead, install your applications one by one (and re-enter the license information for apps that require it)

I sorted it! My extensions folder was just full of old crap files. Deleted them, and now everything works fine. Sorry for all the hassle. Should have figured this one out earlier. And thanks for the help!

Last question: After all the back and forths I now have my Samsung Evo 980 as the boot drive. Is this fine nowadays regarding TRIM, etc? My System Information says TRIM-support: Yes, and my boot time is like 10sec.

Last edited:
Hi all, CaseSJ,

Until yesterday, I've been running this build for years now, no complaints at all. Many thanks!

Last night, I ordered and installed the new VST piano from synthogy (Ivory 3 - German D)

It works, but crackles. I tried using my (Thunderbolt) Presonus Quantum 2 interface, but it was invisible.

Now, I guess the Ivory 3 install somehow messed with the TB/Presonus connection, because the indiciator light stays red (meaning disconnected) instead of blue.
It does blink an alternating red-blue at first, indicating it is trying to connect, but it turns red in the end.

The Quantum audio interface is also invisible in Logic, and in the AudioMidi setup.
In the Presonus app (UniversalControl) it shows up, but is further uncontrollable.

What steps can I do to see where the fault lies and what I can do to remedy this?
System report? Some other app's report/log?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Best,
You have a backup? CCC or TM? It saved my butt a lot of times…

Hello Artur,

Because you are using Jumbo Frames, have you configured Jumbo Frames on the Asus 10GbE port on the Hackintosh? We need to set MTU to the jumbo frame size.
View attachment 568469
I am surprised that using the standard DMAR table allows 10GbE Ethernet/SMB to work. Do you have 16GB or less memory?
Big Find! Your suggestion led me to the reverse thinking and :
  • I simply turned OFF Jumbo frames in my hackintosh (ASUS 10GbE port), SWITCH ports (UniFi App) and on Synology. Everything is working now.
  • I've tested speeds using iperf3, and I got beautiful 10GbE speed between my hack and Synology now.
I'm happy it works. I just don't have the benefit of jumbo frames but I can live without it.
My concern is why the MTU size (Jumbo fames =9000) doesn't let it communicate via SMB, but ill elaborate it in future.

Thank You @CaseySJ for your tips.

I've got an i9 and 6800xt as my main machine and all is good. Just built a second smaller one with i5 and 580 8GB. Same EFI for both. The 580 isn't being recognised in System Information. Thanks.
Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 12.46.30 pm.png

I've got an i9 and 6800xt as my main machine and all is good. Just built a second smaller one with i5 and 580 8GB. Same EFI for both. The 580 isn't being recognised in System Information. Thanks.View attachment 568810

Hello @rufus1970,
  • What is the make and model of the RX 580?
  • Can you post the IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer -> File -> Save As...

Seems like it. I think I will just bin it and get another. Thanks guys.

Back