Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I have a dumb question: Given that my AMD RX-580 is a Polaris card, can I/should I omit the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument, but include the shikigva=80 (etc)?
Yes you may remove agdpmod boot argument. If you're running Big Sur or newer, shikigva can be removed as well. We can use unfairgva=4 instead.

Yep, it is.

Alright, thanks for this. All my Sata drives show up though. It's the M2P drive that isn't showing. As far as I understand the chart shows how the Sata ports will be disabled, not the M.2 ports? The M2P drive shows up and works in Windows.
CMOS Reset may be worth trying now.

Was the Samsung NVMe visible and operational in Ventura before the latest upgrade?

Code:
2023-07-03 16:11:27.927738+0200 0x1ff      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3356: disk5 scan took 8.745970 s, trims took 8.059842 s

2023-07-03 16:16:18.938212+0200 0x2831     Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3356: disk9 scan took 2.067133 s, trims took 1.912048 s

Will try the other things too. Thanks!
For the long boot time, have you booted the system in verbose mode to see if and where the system freezes for 4 minutes or so?

To try and be able to see what's going on in Verbose mode, I pulled out my GPU and booted with the iGPU. Without the discrete GPU (RX 6900 XT) the boot sequences freezes after a few seconds and I can't reach the desktop. I've attached a screenshot of the freeze. Never seen anything like that.

Any idea of what might be going on? (except for my hairy legs stealing the show)

At his point I'm itching to just do a clean install. But I also know that three-something days into tinkering with that I will wish I never did it :lol:

freeze.jpeg

I also tried to boot in Safe Mode and got this:

freeze2.jpeg

Last edited:
To try and be able to see what's going on in Verbose mode, I pulled out my GPU and booted with the iGPU. Without the discrete GPU (RX 6900 XT) the boot sequences freezes after a few seconds and I can't reach the desktop. I've attached a screenshot of the freeze. Never seen anything like that.

Any idea of what might be going on? (except for my hairy legs stealing the show)

At his point I'm itching to just do a clean install. But I also know that three-something days into tinkering with that I will wish I never did it :lol:

I also tried to boot in Safe Mode and got this:
It may be a good idea to attempt a fresh installation on a spare APFS volume as follows:
  • Download full Ventura installer from gibMacOS and make a USB install disk by running createinstallmedia
    • This can be done by following STEP 1 and STEP 2 from here:
  • No need to copy your EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk; we can boot system from internal NVMe SSD as long as it's running latest OpenCore version
  • Boot the system and choose Install macOS Ventura
  • When the installer starts, run Disk Utility and create a new APFS volume on an existing NVMe SSD
  • Install Ventura into the new APFS volume
  • Then see if the new system boots up
I would recommend using the AMD RX 6900 XT for this. Check that all kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen, etc.) are the latest versions (right-click on kext in Finder and select Get Info to show version number).

It may be a good idea to attempt a fresh installation on a spare APFS volume as follows:
  • Download full Ventura installer from gibMacOS and make a USB install disk by running createinstallmedia
    • This can be done by following STEP 1 and STEP 2 from here:
  • No need to copy your EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk; we can boot system from internal NVMe SSD as long as it's running latest OpenCore version
  • Boot the system and choose Install macOS Ventura
  • When the installer starts, run Disk Utility and create a new APFS volume on an existing NVMe SSD
  • Install Ventura into the new APFS volume
  • Then see if the new system boots up
I would recommend using the AMD RX 6900 XT for this. Check that all kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen, etc.) are the latest versions (right-click on kext in Finder and select Get Info to show version number).

Alright, thanks! I already started a fresh install with a downloaded version of Ventura from the App Store. Is there any difference to using the gibMacOS?

Alright, thanks! I already started a fresh install with a downloaded version of Ventura from the App Store. Is there any difference to using the gibMacOS?
No problem - that also works.

Ok, this is extremely frustrating. I did a clean install and then used Migration Assistant to get my old system back. Everything worked flawlessly. Wifi/Bluetooth back to normal, boot time around 10sec and both NVME drives were showing.

And then, something happened. I was stupid and dismissed the message too fast, so I actually don't really know what exactly happened but I'll try to explain it as good as I can.

About two hours into using the computer, macOS gives me a message that some "add-ons" have been updated and that I need to restart to use them. I'm writing "add-ons" because I use the OS in Swedish and I think the direct translation would be "extensions", but I'm pretty sure the message did not refer to kexts. Then a window opens with a long list of items that almost all had a name with "- unidentified" at the end of it. The list very much resembled one of the lists under Privacy and Security in System Preferences, with tick/slide boxes to the right of each item. I now CANNOT find where this list is now though, it's nowhere in System Preferences as far as I can tell.

I didn't think much of it and clicked restart, and boom - all the problems I've been talking about previously in the thread was back. Second NVME drive not showing, boot taking 4 min and bluetooth/wifi not working properly. The bluetooth problem literally started while I was typing, killing the keyboard connection.

This is beyond frustrating and I'm sorry for my stupidity to just click away the message before actually checking what was going on. Ofc, I can just do a fresh install again, and once that message and list shows up again I'll take screen shots. But maybe @CaseySJ or someone else might be able to figure out what I'm talking about and correct whatever happened, to spare me another 3-4 hours of work. :banghead:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back