Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Have you experienced any issues with those boot arguments? If so, I'll remove them.
Nope, I was just curious and wanna build my new hack after almost 5 years of using old Clover-based build. Getting my mind around OpenCore is tough :lol:

One more question: can I use SSDT files from OpenCore 0.9.2 mini-guide even if I have unmodified BIOS F9j for my Z390 Designare?

One more question: can I use SSDT files from OpenCore 0.9.2 mini-guide even if I have unmodified BIOS F9j for my Z390 Designare?
Yes, no problem.

@CaseySJ Sorry to fragment this discussion, but is there anything else I can check on my config to figure out the kernel panic I'm getting
I just reread your original post in which you said:
The machine currently runs Mojave and is using clover.

This may explain why OpenCore 0.7.8 is unable to boot Mojave, but has no trouble with Monterey. For now it is best to continue using Clover to boot Mojave. There are several reasons for this. In order to use OpenCore, however, we will first have to remove all Hackintosh-related kexts that are installed in /System/Library/Extensions and/or /Library/Extensions, and rebuild the kernel cache. Then we'll need to remove any Clover-related startup scripts from /etc/rc.d. This is doable, but if your intention is to move away from Mojave, it would be best to continue using Clover for Mojave and switch permanently to OpenCore with the upgrade to Monterey.

Some comments:
  • When we disable Thunderbolt in BIOS and disable (not necessarily remove) the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT, it's not necessary nor correct to use USBPorts.kext because the existing USB port map will work
    • The existing USB port map does not touch XHC3; only the Thunderbolt SSDT defines it
  • At this point I recommend the Process of Elimination, which goes like this:
    • We start by disconnecting all USB devices (internal and external) except wired keyboard and wired mouse (although Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse are okay if using Logitech's RF mode instead of Bluetooth)
    • We should also disconnect all Thunderbolt devices
    • Then we boot the system in Verbose mode (press and releaset CMD-V at OpenCore boot picker before selecting the macOS disk)
    • Monitor the boot process with at least 10 reboots -- does it freeze?
      • If it does not freeze then connect one of the USB devices back (only one) and perform the reboot test again
      • If it freezes, state which USB devices were connected at the time
System freezes could also be due to faulty memory. If you have a spare set of DIMMs, it may be a good idea to use the replacement set temporarily.
Just found time to test this yesterday and some today. I used the EFI you linked and first tested USB, just with mouse and keyboard. I tested all ports and they all froze within 10 reboots.

I then moved onto memory, I didn't have a spare set but I do have 4 16gb sticks, so I tested them each on their own. The first stick that I tested I was able to boot 15 times without issue. The 2nd stick that I tested was freezing on boot almost every time so I thought maybe I had found the culprit, but all of them did eventually freeze on boot. And the ones that I initially thought were not an issue did later freeze while I using the OS. For reference, these are what I'm using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9HZCRM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

On a side note, I wanted to test the Focusrite thunderbolt on the Windows side, so I did a fresh Windows 10 install and the same issues I'm getting with Big Sur I am also getting on Win 10. This issue on Windows is post upgrade of the bios to F9, so that is the only correlation I can see.

That said, let me know if you have any additional thoughts or tests that may confirm the issue, thanks

@tekraz

I had a similar problem about a year ago. System would freeze at various times. In my case the root cause was a loose connection of the 24-pin motherboard power cable.

I would strongly recommend unplugging and re-plugging all power cables. Also check that all PCIe cards are fully seated in their slots.

@tekraz

I had a similar problem about a year ago. System would freeze at various times. In my case the root cause was a loose connection of the 24-pin motherboard power cable.

I would strongly recommend unplugging and re-plugging all power cables. Also check that all PCIe cards are fully seated in their slots.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then remove wall plate and make sure wires are correctly connected to 110v outlet

:mrgreen:

.....had that happen years ago when old pc would not power on, no matter what I tried.
The neutral wire had come loose from the wall socket quick connect.....

If you enable iGFX, then you may be using the USB-c/TB out in which case the BIOS will not show at the screen

This also assumes that you have a video card in there where you have DP Out from video card -> DP IN on motherboard

To see the BIOS at all times even with iGFX, use the DP out from video card or HDMI out from motherboard to the monitor, just to be able to debug stuff
hi @madmax559 i solve the "mistery" with lost wifi after upgrade RAM, matched or missmatched, i follow this pos from @CaseySJ https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/post-2368807 and enable "DissableMapperMaping" and voila! wifi it's back

Back