Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Okay just let me know if there is anything else you want me to test.

Concerning the freezing, yes this was a fresh installe of Big Sur. I installed a bigger drive for a new install. May have not pointed it out before, but its 11.6.1, this is due to some outdated plugins that I intend to use, I haven't installed those yet.

Freezing is somewhat random, does seem to be related to USB ports or the focusrite sometimes, but that's not always the case. I've had it freeze a few times when hot-plugging the focusrite. I'm pointing out the XHC3 errors because I get them on every boot, regardless of whether using the EFI you linked, or the original one I was using.

[ 115.504464]: 000115.504464 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::setPowerStateGated: going to state 1 returned 0xe00002e9
[ 115.504483]: 000115.504483 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::hardwareExceptionThreadCallGated: attempting recovery, forcing power state to on
[ 117.612153]: 000117.612151 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::setPowerStateGated: going to state 2 failed with 0xe00002d8
[ 117.612161]: 000117.612160 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBXHCI::interruptOccurred: interrupt while controller is unavailable _pendingInterrupts 0x00000000
[ 117.612188]: 000117.612187 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::hardwareExceptionThreadCallGated: 0x00000040

Most times it will move past the errors, but sometimes when booting up it will get stuck on this and freeze before fully booting. I don't recall it freezing on boot using the EFI you linked, it may have once. But regardless of EFI used, it will freeze within an hour usually.
A couple more things to note: Right after this I booted using the EFI you linked and it froze on boot up on the XHC3 errors. So that confirms regardless of which EFI I'm using, it's freezing on boot from time to time.

Then as a test I decided to disable thunderbolt in the bios and remove the TB3 SSDT, and then create a simple USBports.kext. While I no longer was getting the XHC3 errors, I then started getting XHC errors and it froze on that. At the very least I can say it seems to be generally related to USB, whereas previously I thought it was the SSP1 / SSP2 ports that were causing the errors / freezing.

Here's the simple port mapping I used

port_map.png

A couple more things to note: Right after this I booted using the EFI you linked and it froze on boot up on the XHC3 errors. So that confirms regardless of which EFI I'm using, it's freezing on boot from time to time.

Then as a test I decided to disable thunderbolt in the bios and remove the TB3 SSDT, and then create a simple USBports.kext. While I no longer was getting the XHC3 errors, I then started getting XHC errors and it froze on that. At the very least I can say it seems to be generally related to USB, whereas previously I thought it was the SSP1 / SSP2 ports that were causing the errors / freezing.

Here's the simple port mapping I used
Some comments:
  • When we disable Thunderbolt in BIOS and disable (not necessarily remove) the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT, it's not necessary nor correct to use USBPorts.kext because the existing USB port map will work
    • The existing USB port map does not touch XHC3; only the Thunderbolt SSDT defines it
  • At this point I recommend the Process of Elimination, which goes like this:
    • We start by disconnecting all USB devices (internal and external) except wired keyboard and wired mouse (although Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse are okay if using Logitech's RF mode instead of Bluetooth)
    • We should also disconnect all Thunderbolt devices
    • Then we boot the system in Verbose mode (press and releaset CMD-V at OpenCore boot picker before selecting the macOS disk)
    • Monitor the boot process with at least 10 reboots -- does it freeze?
      • If it does not freeze then connect one of the USB devices back (only one) and perform the reboot test again
      • If it freezes, state which USB devices were connected at the time
System freezes could also be due to faulty memory. If you have a spare set of DIMMs, it may be a good idea to use the replacement set temporarily.

Hello @JaimeLopes,

You have described the problem very well and provided plenty of background information.

First thing to check in the new EFI 0.7.8 config.plist:
  • In UEFI -> APFS, are MinDate and MinVer both set to -1? To accommodate Mojave we should change both of them to -1.
Thank you so much for such a prompt response, took me so by surprise given the 6 days that i normally wait for my ISP to get back to me when my internet goes down :lol:

Unfortunately, both of these MinDate and MinVer were already set to -1 so this isn't the issue!

What can i check next?

Some comments:
  • When we disable Thunderbolt in BIOS and disable (not necessarily remove) the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT, it's not necessary nor correct to use USBPorts.kext because the existing USB port map will work
    • The existing USB port map does not touch XHC3; only the Thunderbolt SSDT defines it
  • At this point I recommend the Process of Elimination, which goes like this:
    • We start by disconnecting all USB devices (internal and external) except wired keyboard and wired mouse (although Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse are okay if using Logitech's RF mode instead of Bluetooth)
    • We should also disconnect all Thunderbolt devices
    • Then we boot the system in Verbose mode (press and releaset CMD-V at OpenCore boot picker before selecting the macOS disk)
    • Monitor the boot process with at least 10 reboots -- does it freeze?
      • If it does not freeze then connect one of the USB devices back (only one) and perform the reboot test again
      • If it freezes, state which USB devices were connected at the time
System freezes could also be due to faulty memory. If you have a spare set of DIMMs, it may be a good idea to use the replacement set temporarily.
sorry should have clarified, I created the USBports.kext with my original EFI. I wanted to test with a simple mapping, but fully noted on the port map in the EFI you shared and the thunderbolt SSDT, I could have just used the one you shared.

It was interesting though, testing with thunderbolt disabled it went 6 hours before freezing. That is by far the longest it has gone before freezing, it usually freezes within an hour. It ultimately did freeze however, so may have just been coincidence.

I did do some testing previously before my original post, with the original EFI and only plugging in keyboard and mouse and was also getting freezing. But that was the original EFI and not as precise a method as you are mentioning here. I'll try this out and let you know what I get, thanks for the help!

sorry should have clarified, I created the USBports.kext with my original EFI. I wanted to test with a simple mapping, but fully noted on the port map in the EFI you shared and the thunderbolt SSDT, I could have just used the one you shared.

It was interesting though, testing with thunderbolt disabled it went 6 hours before freezing. That is by far the longest it has gone before freezing, it usually freezes within an hour. It ultimately did freeze however, so may have just been coincidence.

I did do some testing previously before my original post, with the original EFI and only plugging in keyboard and mouse and was also getting freezing. But that was the original EFI and not as precise a method as you are mentioning here. I'll try this out and let you know what I get, thanks for the help!
I’d have to agree with @CaseySJ here: test your RAM before wasting anymore time. If you don’t have spares, download and run MemTest.
J

Is there any problem in updating the BIOS to the F9 version? I currently use the "BIOS F9i modified by Elias64Fr" version. I know I won't be able to downgrade the bios afterwards.

Is there any problem in updating the BIOS to the F9 version? I currently use the "BIOS F9i modified by Elias64Fr" version. I know I won't be able to downgrade the bios afterwards.
You will loose USB support through the two Thunderbolt ports. If you don’t use them for USB, no loss!

Myself, I’ll stay with the modded f9i from @Elias64Fr

@CaseySJ Hi Casey, I've been following your build guide since 2019, and it has been working beautifully. Thank you so much!

I've been wanting to upgrade my GPU to a better one from my RADEON VII to play diablo 4 but I have not been keeping up with the compatibility of the latest GPU. I did a little research and found the best card I can get is 6900 XT without spoofing and avoid XFX, Powercolor and MSI brand. Is there anything I should watch out for, and are there any other compatibility issues with 6900xt running Ventura? I was having trouble with watching apple tv on my Hackintosh when I was upgrading to 5700 2 years ago so I just want to be sure.

Thank you again!

@CaseySJ Hi Casey, I've been following your build guide since 2019, and it has been working beautifully. Thank you so much!

I've been wanting to upgrade my GPU to a better one from my RADEON VII to play diablo 4 but I have not been keeping up with the compatibility of the latest GPU. I did a little research and found the best card I can get is 6900 XT without spoofing and avoid XFX, Powercolor and MSI brand. Is there anything I should watch out for, and are there any other compatibility issues with 6900xt running Ventura? I was having trouble with watching apple tv on my Hackintosh when I was upgrading to 5700 2 years ago so I just want to be sure.

Thank you again!
Hello @hyperx136,

Seems you've done your homework! A 6900 XT is an excellent choice. Prices have come down considerably. PowerColor and MSI models are generally okay. Even many XFX models are okay these days.

For AppleTV, try adding this to boot-args: unfairgva=4.

Back