Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm trying to get a OWC 10GbE network card to work. It shows compatibility with Monterey 12.2+ but I've tried two different PCI slots and it's not showing up. Any ideas? It's the Aquenta 108 chipset

I'm trying to get a OWC 10GbE network card to work. It shows compatibility with Monterey 12.2+ but I've tried two different PCI slots and it's not showing up. Any ideas? It's the Aquenta 108 chipset
I'm not familiar with Aquantia 108. Are you referring to either AQC-107 or AQC-113? Do you have a link to the product page?

Also, have you enabled ForceAquantiaEthernet kernel quirk? If the card is advertised as Monterey-compatible, it may not be necessary to enable this quirk, but we should try it anyway.

Which version of macOS are you running?

I'm not familiar with Aquantia 108. Are you referring to either AQC-107 or AQC-113? Do you have a link to the product page?

Also, have you enabled ForceAquantiaEthernet kernel quirk? If the card is advertised as Monterey-compatible, it may not be necessary to enable this quirk, but we should try it anyway.

Which version of macOS are you running?
That did it! ForceAquantiaEthernet FTW

Last edited:
@pandasupermedia,

Some questions and comments:
  • Can you open the Synology web interface when connecting through 10GbE (and disconnect cable from 1GbE)?
  • Do you have Windows and/or Linux installed on this system? If so, can they mount file systems on Synology via SMB through 10GbE?
  • Do you have any other computer with 10GbE? If so, can it mount SMB shares on Synology?
  • Which UniFi console are you using? (Which “Dream Machine”?) Are there any VLANs or TCP port restrictions that might be preventing SMB protocol on the UniFi Switch Flex XG?
Hi @CaseySJ, thank you for your assistance,
  • I cant open the Synology Interface when connected through 10GbE. (Just the 10GbE card connected at the time, other cards disconnected.)
  • I have just only Monterey 12.6.1. So hard to say if the ASUS card is going to work with Synology via SMB.
  • I have a MBP M1 which I connect through OWC 10Gbe to Thunderbolt adapter and the connect to SMB:// works just fine. I checked the speed using iperf3, and it is not fully saturated but acceptable something around 6.5 Gbps
  • I have just the managed switch from Ubiquiti (UniFi Switch Flex XG 4-Port 10G Managed Network Switch) - I Provide the link. : Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Switch Flex XG 4-Port 10G Managed Network Switch on B&H
My Setup In the UniFi Network application is very basic, I just turned on Jumbo frames on the Ethernet ports going to Synology, MacBook, and hackintosh.
It Is Interesting that when I revert the steps of Adding DMAR in ACPI and deleting it in delete tab i can connect through SMB but I loose WIFI which become not responsive when try to turn it on. I don't know if it tells you anything but i hope it might be helpful.
Network scheme.jpg

In the scheme attached I tried to make my office setup visual. The 1GbE going to the hack will not be used when I'll figure out the ASUS XG C100C to work in hack.

Thank You In Advance for your help.
Artur

Thank you so much for such a prompt response, took me so by surprise given the 6 days that i normally wait for my ISP to get back to me when my internet goes down :lol:

Unfortunately, both of these MinDate and MinVer were already set to -1 so this isn't the issue!

What can i check next?
@CaseySJ Sorry to fragment this discussion, but is there anything else I can check on my config to figure out the kernel panic I'm getting

@CaseySJ hello there! First, so grateful for a herculean effort on this topic. Second, I have maybe a stupid question: why agdpmod=pikera and shikigva=80 even for Intel iGPU config? Dortania's GPU-Buyers-Guide suggests these options are required only for external GPUs. Or am I missing something?

@CaseySJ hello there! First, so grateful for a herculean effort on this topic. Second, I have maybe a stupid question: why agdpmod=pikera and shikigva=80 even for Intel iGPU config? Dortania's GPU-Buyers-Guide suggests these options are required only for external GPUs. Or am I missing something?
correct, not needed for Intel IGPU systems

Hello @f4llens,

You're right that neither of those boot arguments is necessary when iGPU is the only GPU in the system. Because many of our users started with just iGPU (during Ethereum mining craze when discrete GPU prices were astronomically high and availability was rare) with the expectation of switching to discrete GPU shortly thereafter, we left those boot arguments in place.

Have you experienced any issues with those boot arguments? If so, I'll remove them.

Hi @CaseySJ, thank you for your assistance,
  • I cant open the Synology Interface when connected through 10GbE. (Just the 10GbE card connected at the time, other cards disconnected.)
  • I have just only Monterey 12.6.1. So hard to say if the ASUS card is going to work with Synology via SMB.
  • I have a MBP M1 which I connect through OWC 10Gbe to Thunderbolt adapter and the connect to SMB:// works just fine. I checked the speed using iperf3, and it is not fully saturated but acceptable something around 6.5 Gbps
  • I have just the managed switch from Ubiquiti (UniFi Switch Flex XG 4-Port 10G Managed Network Switch) - I Provide the link. : Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Switch Flex XG 4-Port 10G Managed Network Switch on B&H
My Setup In the UniFi Network application is very basic, I just turned on Jumbo frames on the Ethernet ports going to Synology, MacBook, and hackintosh.
It Is Interesting that when I revert the steps of Adding DMAR in ACPI and deleting it in delete tab i can connect through SMB but I loose WIFI which become not responsive when try to turn it on. I don't know if it tells you anything but i hope it might be helpful.
View attachment 568441

In the scheme attached I tried to make my office setup visual. The 1GbE going to the hack will not be used when I'll figure out the ASUS XG C100C to work in hack.

Thank You In Advance for your help.
Artur
Hello Artur,

Because you are using Jumbo Frames, have you configured Jumbo Frames on the Asus 10GbE port on the Hackintosh? We need to set MTU to the jumbo frame size.
Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 8.47.33 AM.png

I am surprised that using the standard DMAR table allows 10GbE Ethernet/SMB to work. Do you have 16GB or less memory?

Back