Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I do not have a USB-C port in the front. I did notice thunderbolt connector there and I could install something, but the problem I see is that the system is freezing if I just map the regular USB2 and 3 ports. I have not tried yet, but I'm thinking I could disable thunderbolt in the bios and just map USB2/3 ports and it would not freeze / crash. But then obviously I wouldn't have anything to plug my audio interface into.

Concerning the cable used, I'm using an apple TB 3 to 2 adapter as recommended by Focusrite. I've been using this for the past few years without any issue. Just to make sure I tested it yesterday on a macbook and it still works fine.
The Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter is actually incorrect for Hackintosh. We should use a simple USB-C to USB-C cable that supports USB 3.x. Or we can use a Thunderbolt 3 cable (which would be overkill and more expensive).

Here’s a suitable cable on Amazon:

The Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter is actually incorrect for Hackintosh. We should use a simple USB-C to USB-C cable that supports USB 3.x. Or we can use a Thunderbolt 3 cable (which would be overkill and more expensive).

Here’s a suitable cable on Amazon:
Unfortunately I'm unable to use USB-C to USB-C due to the clarett requiring an adapter from TB-1 (https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...of-Thunderbolt-do-the-Clarett-Interfaces-Use-).

So I ended up using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ26QIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 which has been working on my Hackintosh for the last few years.

A question on the ports outside of the adapter, I should be seeing XHC3 - SSP1 / SSP2 in hackintool regardless of whether I connect anything or not right? I'm assuming I also should not be seeing the XHC3 errors when booting up?

I can certainly try some other devices with USB-C to USB-C, but if I can't see the ports then I'm probably in trouble regardless. Would that be safe to assume?

Unfortunately I'm unable to use USB-C to USB-C due to the clarett requiring an adapter from TB-1 (https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...of-Thunderbolt-do-the-Clarett-Interfaces-Use-).
Oh, you have the older Clarett 8Pre instead of the newer Clarett+ 8Pre. The older model uses Thunderbolt 1, so now this makes sense. The newer uses USB-C.

This means your device is a Thunderbolt device, not a USB device. The Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter preserves the Thunderbolt protocol. When we connect that adapter to a Thunderbolt port on Hackintosh, it will connect to either DSB1 or DSB3 depending on which of the two Thunderbolt ports we connect it to.

XHC3 is not used!

For the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter to work in recent versions of macOS, we need to enable AppleVTD. This means:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • Use the OpenCore 0.9.2 EFI folder from this thread
    • This folder enables AppleVTD

Last edited:
Oh, you have the older Clarett 8Pre instead of the newer Clarett+ 8Pre. The older model uses Thunderbolt 1, so now this makes sense. The newer uses USB-C.

This means your device is a Thunderbolt device, not a USB device. The Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter preserves the Thunderbolt protocol. When we connect that adapter to a Thunderbolt port on Hackintosh, it will connect to either DSB1 or DSB3 depending on which of the two Thunderbolt ports we connect it to.

XHC3 is not used!

For the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter to work in recent versions of macOS, we need to enable AppleVTD. This means:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • Use the OpenCore 0.9.2 EFI folder from this thread
    • This folder enables AppleVTD
Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. Just got a chance to try this and unfortunately am getting the same results as previously.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to see DSB1 or DSB3 in hackintool, but if I was it was only showing the USB2 and USB3 ports.

a side note, I opened up a support ticket with gigabyte to address the same issue on windows and am not getting anything useful out of that.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. Just got a chance to try this and unfortunately am getting the same results as previously.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to see DSB1 or DSB3 in hackintool, but if I was it was only showing the USB2 and USB3 ports.

a side note, I opened up a support ticket with gigabyte to address the same issue on windows and am not getting anything useful out of that.
DSB1 and DSB3 will not appear in Hackintool. We have to use IORegistryExporer (link was provided in an earlier reply).

Would be good to post the IOReg file because it provides a lot of diagnostic information.

Last edited:
DSB1 and DSB3 will not appear in Hackintool. We have to use IORegistryExporer (link was provided in an earlier reply).

Would be good to post the IOReg file because it provides a lot of diagnostic information.
attached

Attachments

• IORegEx.ioreg
    7.7 MB · Views: 36
Here we can see the Focusrite is attached to DSB4 (in previous replies I mistakenly said 'DSB3', which applies to Maple Ridge controller instead of Titan Ridge). DSB4 is the second Thunderbolt port (DSB1 is the first).

IOReg also shows AppleVTD is enabled, so that's good.

Some thoughts... Have you tried any of the following?
  • Removing any pre-existing drivers for Focusrite and installing Big Sur-compatible drivers?
  • Updating the firmware on Focusrite itself?
  • Performing a reset on Focusrite itself (if the device has a reset switch or reset sequence)?
  • Setting BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> Boot Once
Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 9.12.32 AM.png

Here we can see the Focusrite is attached to DSB4 (in previous replies I mistakenly said 'DSB3', which applies to Maple Ridge controller instead of Titan Ridge). DSB4 is the second Thunderbolt port (DSB1 is the first).

IOReg also shows AppleVTD is enabled, so that's good.

Some thoughts... Have you tried any of the following?
  • Removing any pre-existing drivers for Focusrite and installing Big Sur-compatible drivers?
  • Updating the firmware on Focusrite itself?
  • Performing a reset on Focusrite itself (if the device has a reset switch or reset sequence)?
  • Setting BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> Boot Once
View attachment 568112
- Focusrite drivers are up-to-date https://downloads.focusrite.com/focusrite/clarett/clarett-8pre-0
- Firmware is up-to-date on the device
- There is an option to restore factory default settings, but that would just change input and output routing which I would need to change back to how I have it currently configured. And it still is working fine on a macbook
- I tried changing to Boot Once in the bios, no luck there either

I'm open to picking up a Thunderbolt adapter and trying that if there is something you recommend that plays nice with Hackintosh? My only worry there is that the system keeps freezing, and sometimes not booting when it gets stuck on the XHC3 errors. If there is a way of disabling the onboard thunderbolt that still allows me to use an adapter in the front, then maybe I can get around that.

I'm open to picking up a thunderbolt adapter and trying that if there is something you recommend that plays nice with Hackintosh?
One option is to use a GC-Titan Ridge PCIe add-in-card, preferably with flashed firmware that enables Thunderbolt Bus. But even the on-board controller should work so it's worth investigating that a bit longer.

My only worry there is that the system keeps freezing,
Can you describe these freezes that occur after macOS has booted? I think you said this is a fresh installation of Big Sur rather than an upgrade from High Sierra or Mojave. Is that right?

and sometimes not booting when it gets stuck on the XHC3 errors.
Can you describe these freezes that occur during boot? Do these freezes occur with the OC 0.9.2 EFI folder provided in this thread?

If there is a way of disabling the onboard thunderbolt that still allows me to use an adapter in the front, then maybe I can get around that.
Yes we can disable on-board Thunderbolt controller in BIOS. We can set GPIO3 Force Power to Disabled. But it's not clear at this time where the problem lies; a new controller may exhibit the very same issues.

One option is to use a GC-Titan Ridge PCIe add-in-card, preferably with flashed firmware that enables Thunderbolt Bus. But even the on-board controller should work so it's worth investigating that a bit longer.

Can you describe these freezes that occur after macOS has booted? I think you said this is a fresh installation of Big Sur rather than an upgrade from High Sierra or Mojave. Is that right?

Can you describe these freezes that occur during boot? Do these freezes occur with the OC 0.9.2 EFI folder provided in this thread?

Yes we can disable on-board Thunderbolt controller in BIOS. We can set GPIO3 Force Power to Disabled. But it's not clear at this time where the problem lies; a new controller may exhibit the very same issues.
Okay just let me know if there is anything else you want me to test.

Concerning the freezing, yes this was a fresh installe of Big Sur. I installed a bigger drive for a new install. May have not pointed it out before, but its 11.6.1, this is due to some outdated plugins that I intend to use, I haven't installed those yet.

Freezing is somewhat random, does seem to be related to USB ports or the focusrite sometimes, but that's not always the case. I've had it freeze a few times when hot-plugging the focusrite. I'm pointing out the XHC3 errors because I get them on every boot, regardless of whether using the EFI you linked, or the original one I was using.

[ 115.504464]: 000115.504464 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::setPowerStateGated: going to state 1 returned 0xe00002e9
[ 115.504483]: 000115.504483 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::hardwareExceptionThreadCallGated: attempting recovery, forcing power state to on
[ 117.612153]: 000117.612151 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::setPowerStateGated: going to state 2 failed with 0xe00002d8
[ 117.612161]: 000117.612160 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBXHCI::interruptOccurred: interrupt while controller is unavailable _pendingInterrupts 0x00000000
[ 117.612188]: 000117.612187 XHC3@00000000: AppleUSBHostController::hardwareExceptionThreadCallGated: 0x00000040

Most times it will move past the errors, but sometimes when booting up it will get stuck on this and freeze before fully booting. I don't recall it freezing on boot using the EFI you linked, it may have once. But regardless of EFI used, it will freeze within an hour usually.

Back