Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

HI @CaseySJ I just received the Fenvi card.

WiFi and Bluetooth are working, was just plug and play.

Wanted to give a quick update as I wasn't able to get the Broadcom module to work in any way after trying almost everything.

Ventura 13.3.1 Everything works fine, iMac Pro 1,1

Hi @CaseySJ Been humming along w/ Monterey for a a good 9 months now and considering upgrading to Ventura. Using my Hack mainly for audio projects w/ Apollo Twin interface, Logic and other audio plug-ins.
Current Setup:
Monterey 12.6.5
OC 0.9.1
Did a fresh Monterey install on WD SN750 NVMe's...

Should I do the same for Ventura? Any advise or posts to follow? Thanks!

Hi @CaseySJ Been humming along w/ Monterey for a a good 9 months now and considering upgrading to Ventura. Using my Hack mainly for audio projects w/ Apollo Twin interface, Logic and other audio plug-ins.
Current Setup:
Monterey 12.6.5
OC 0.9.1
Did a fresh Monterey install on WD SN750 NVMe's...

Should I do the same for Ventura? Any advise or posts to follow? Thanks!
Because you’re on Monterey, we can (and should) make a full bootable backup first and then attempt an in-place upgrade to Ventura.

Hi @CaseySJ I hope everything is good with you.

Quick question: is the below EFI including the latest changes done with OpenCoreConfigurator, including FixAppleVTD, disableIOmappermapping, etc.?

Hi @CaseySJ I hope everything is good with you.

Quick question: is the below EFI including the latest changes done with OpenCoreConfigurator, including FixAppleVTD, disableIOmappermapping, etc.?

Hello @joostiphone,

That EFI folder contains the AppleVTD kernel patch, which is now replaced by the kernel quirk DisableIoMapperMapping. The kernel patch works just as well as the quirk, but once OpenCore 0.9.2 is released we should delete the kernel patch and instead use the kernel quirk.

While migrating from Z390 to Z690, my Z390 stopped booting MacOS. I removed 2 broken RAM modules, reset the BIOS, reflashed firmware F9i and now at least Windows boots and works fine.

But try as I might I can't get MacOS to work again. My NVME boot disk stalls, none of my backups will boot any longer etc.

So I've made a brand new Monterey Installer on a spare SSD, with the Z390 OC 0.9.1 EFI with adapted credentials from page 1 of this thread.

The idea is to install a fresh Monterey on another spare SSD. I removed all other drives.

MacOS install starts but stalls with the progress bar @ 30%.

It stops somewhere in setting up FindMyMac, and complains about Flushed 463 logs, limit: 20.

CFG lock is off. I think my BIOS settings are OK. What BIOS setting will stop a MacOS install?

Any ideas welcome.

Can I anyone check if he/she can install Monterey with EFI 0.9.1 from this thread?

I am still curious why I can't use my older bootmedia or even do a completely new install with OC 0.9.1 and the latest Monterey installer.

I checked my BIOS F9i settings, changed a couple of things but nothing seems to work/help.

As MacOS will not work or even install, and Windows works fine, it looks like some BIOS setting is off.

What settings are crucial?

My Z390 was running Monterey without issues before, with BIOS F9i. Then I made an external Ventura install disk, after that it was totally broken for some reason.

Hi @CaseySJ , I just installed Ventura 13.3.1 with new experimental OpenCore 091, and Intel Bluetooth doesn't work...:( Is there any way to do it? thx

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.9.2 Mini-Guide **
Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link or excerpt instead.

Warning: These EFI folders have not been tested so please use them from a USB flash disk first

macOS version supported:
  • Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura

Manual Installation Procedure:
  • Use OpenCore Configurator 2.69.0.1 and change its preferences/settings to 0.9.2 Development Version
    • When next version of OpenCore Configurator is available, set it to 0.9.2 Release Version
  • Caution: When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted
  • Download the appropriate ZIP file attached below and make these changes to config.plist:
Inside the EFI/OC folder please choose one of these files and rename or copy it to config.plist:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist
    • Choose this is you have an AMD GPU in the system
  • config-Intel-iGPU.plist
    • Choose this if you'd like to enable video output from the rear IO ports (Thunderbolt Ports 1 and 2, and HDMI port)
    • Even if you have AMD GPU, this file can be used
    • However, it's generally better to disable video output from iGPU if an AMD GPU is present, so config-AMD-GPU.plist would be preferred
  • After choosing one of these files and renaming or copying it to config.plist, edit the config.plist as shown:
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 1.44.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 1.46.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 1.47.27 PM.png

Warning:
  • If using Radeon VII or Vega GPUs, remove boot argument "agdpmod=pikera"
  • SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext are disabled by default to prevent Bluetooth fault on wake from sleep

Attachments

• OC-092-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    44.2 MB · Views: 427
i again @CaseySJ i tested this opencore 0.9.2 and intel bluetooth work great ¡¡ but now i dont have ethernet connection...
Is it necessary to modify some configuration in opencore?thx again

i again @CaseySJ i tested this opencore 0.9.2 and intel bluetooth work great ¡¡ but now i dont have ethernet connection...
Is it necessary to modify some configuration in opencore?thx again
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?
  • Which Ethernet port does not connect?
  • Is DisableIoMapperMapping checked on?
  • Please post screenshots of:
    • OpenCore Configurator -> Kernel
    • OpenCore Configurator -> ACPI

Back