Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The most significant change I can find is in the function AppleVTD::initHardware. It is very likely that the culprit lies in this function because if we disable AppleVTD, our Ethernet and WiFi devices start to function properly once again.

@CaseySJ,

Very nice job investigating this new issue with MacOS 13.3.
I can also confirm after my investigations that the issue is very much related to AppleVTD and the DMAR SSDT.

I did not go as far as disassembly of the kexts like you did, but experimented with VTD enabled and disabled and injection of native and modified DMAR.

With VTD disabled my system reboots just after the login screen, most likely because i need to change i225 Ethernet to use the Monterey AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext which i have not tried yet.

I find it odd that Apple would bother to make such major changes to IOPCIFamily this far down the line towards the end of Intel based Mac Support ?

Clearly the issue is very much related to reserved memory regions in the DMAR and the function AppleVTD::initHardware in IOPCIFamily, here's hoping we can generate a patch once (and if) we get the source code for MacOS 13.3.

Cheers
Jay

I find it odd that Apple would bother to make such major changes to IOPCIFamily this far down the line towards the end of Intel based Mac Support ?
Yes it does seem odd that if Apple were intending to discontinue x86 support for macOS in two year's time why would they be making significant changes to Intel VT-d support. One can hope that reports of the imminent demise of x86 support is greatly exaggerated... ;)

Update:
  • Actually, they just refactored the code a little bit.

Last edited:
** macOS 13.3 WiFi / Ethernet Patch Discovered **
Alas it was not necessary to wait for 13.3 source code
Also posted to GitHub

Problem:
On some systems such as Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D, WiFi and Ethernet stopped working with macOS Ventura 13.3. This problem affects all motherboards whose native DMA remap table (DMAR) contains one or more Reserved Memory Regions. Further, this problem occurs only when AppleVTD is enabled and more than 16GB memory is installed.

Solution:
  • You may re-enable AppleVTD if you disabled it
  • Apply the following patch to config.plist -> Kernel -> patch
Patch Details:
  • Identifier: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
  • Base: __ZN11IOPCIBridge20addBridgeMemoryRangeEyyb
  • Comment: CaseySJ - Fix AppleVTD issue in 13.3+
  • Find: 4C89F6E8 9AFF0000
  • Replace: 4C89F690 90909090
  • MinKernel: 22.4.0
  • Count: 1
  • Enabled: True

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.39.08 PM.png

After applying this patch everything is back to normal:

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.27.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.28.51 PM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Thank you so much for your hard work.

I can confirm that this patch works for Ventura 13.4 beta 1

WiFi + Intel I219 ethernet working.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.54.54 PM.png

Again, your work is appreciated by many.

• Comment: CaseySJ - Fix AppleVTD issue in 13.3+
  • Find: 4C89F6E8 9AFF0000
  • Replace: 4C89F690 90909090
Outstanding work! May I ask what these five bytes were doing?

I just updated to 13.3 - I have 32GB RAM but didn't need to apply the patch, ethernet and WiFi working as before...

Does anyone have iCloud private relay working?
Is AppleVTD enabled?

Outstanding work! May I ask what these five bytes were doing?
Ah, do I foresee a Patch Theory post? The solution turned out to be simpler than anticipated, but I’ll provide a description shortly.

Back