• Boot the USB install disk and follow the installation Wizard
Windows 11:
  • Boot macOS first and format the Windows SSD in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: ExFAT
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Create USB install disk for Windows 11 using Windows "Media Creation Tool"
  • Boot the USB install disk and follow the installation Wizard
    • When you reach the screen that asks which disk to install Windows onto, be sure to select the ExFAT disk
    • To be 100% safe, you can also shutdown the computer and physically disconnect all macOS disks (optional in Windows 11, but necessary in Windows 10)
When Windows is installed, reconnect macOS disks and go to BIOS Setup -> Boot section. Then change Boot Priority #1 to the OpenCore disk.
I'll probably do Windows 11- Do I need a windows computer to run and create this USB install disk? Or does the install work while im on my MacOS?

I'll probably do Windows 11- Do I need a windows computer to run and create this USB install disk? Or does the install work while im on my MacOS?
Windows Media Creation Tool requires Windows. It might work if you install Windows in a VM like VMWare Fusion.

Once it's made how do I get it to install on the new SSD (for windows)? Do i just plug in and let it run through the BIOS?
Windows Media Creation Tool requires Windows. It might work if you install Windows in a VM like VMWare Fusion.

Once it's made how do I get it to install on the new SSD (for windows)? Do i just plug in and let it run through the BIOS?
Just try it. The Windows installation wizard will guide you. You can also Google for any questions.

Unfortunately I don’t like Windows! :) Detailed Windows discussion is a bit off-topic for this thread.

Just try it. The Windows installation wizard will guide you. You can also Google for any questions.

Unfortunately I don’t like Windows! :) Detailed Windows discussion is a bit off-topic for this thread.
Haha fair!

Side question- if I upgrade my GPU on my hackintosh, do I need to go into BIOS for anything or should be a seamless integration?

Annoying bug since a couple of days (but I think it happened before too):

- KP related to IONVMeController only at shutdown or reboot!

I bought a WD Black SN770 1 TB around March 1st (and also a second one, 500 GB for my second hack, flawless).

I've simply cloned back the NVMe from my Sata (Samsung) SSD, Mojave 10.14.6.
Firmware of the WD is the latest.

With or without NVMeFix BTW, OC 0.8.8.

My plan is:

- to disable everything ASPM related in the BIOS;
- Switch PCH to CPU for the x4 lane (is the M2 bottom slot sharing resources from PCIe x4 slot?);
- revert back to official F9i (I am on the latest Elias F9i BIOS);
- reinstall Mojave and Security patches on top;
- swap the drive from bottom slot to top slot;
- revert back to working Clover 5151 (I switched to OC in January or February).

I won't necessarily do all of this but those are the possible options.

I know that it could be that the NVMe blade is bad but I would expect the computer to crash randomly instead of only at shutdwon/reboot. Your thoughts? Any solution I didn't thought about?

**I've also noticed that when presented with the login screen, it takes 1 or 2 seconds before I can input my password with the keyboard. Prior to that, keyboard strokes aren't registering... It wasn't like that when I had the SATA SSD as boot drive.

Thanks,

Patrice

Last edited:
Some follow-ups:
  • Please make a backup of your current config.plist (required!) then try the attached version. There are no serial numbers in this version, so it will be necessary to copy them into PlatformInfo -> DataHub before use
  • Also ensure that a full bootable backup of Monterey has been made -- this is extremely important in light of the upgrade issues this system is facing
  • Then boot into Monterey and start the in-place upgrade again from System Preferences -> Software Update
  • Each time the system reboots, if there is a boot option called "Install macOS..." please select that option
  • The "Install macOS..." option should disappear after 1 or 2 reboots, after which we just need to boot the disk that is being upgraded

Thanks Casey. Unfortunately, I'm not able to boot into Monterey using the config you sent (so haven't even tried the update again yet). Added my serial numbers but boot hangs at the Apple logo - verbose output attached. I've put my old config.plist back for now and all is fine - good job I had the back up!
Sorry to butt in here but just thought I'd follow up on this.

I managed to successfully install Ventura (13.2.1) by adding SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml to my config.

I have an RX550-2GB in slot 2, which is patched in device properties using device ID FF67 so that it is recognised (it's identified as AMD Polaris 2GB). I don't have any other GPU installed. However, for some reason I couldn't update to Ventura (but could update monterey version) without adding the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml

Can anyone explain this to me? Is there something wrong with the way I'm patching the RX550 in OC? What does the SSDT do that is making things work? I'm clueless and would appreciate any explanation so I'm not in the dark!

Either way 13.2.1 is running smoothly now at least :)

** Update on WiFi and Ethernet Issues in macOS 13.3 **
Glimmer of Hope

Further investigation shows conclusively that a change made in IOPCIFamily.kext is responsible for the WiFi and Ethernet problems we're experiencing in macOS 13.3.

The change was introduced in one of the late beta builds. In other words, macOS 13.3 beta builds 1, 2 and 3 work properly. I haven't checked all of the subsequent beta builds.

We expect Apple to post the source code for IOPCIFamily to their open source website soon. Then it should be possible to isolate the problem and create a patch.

I have manually inserted IOPCIFamily from an early 13.3 beta build into a late 13.3 beta build, and everything is working normally again.

Do you have a copy of this beta IOPCIFamily.kext ?

@CaseySJ

I'm using BIOS F9i, i9-9900K, VT-d is enabled. I cleared CMOS and reset the BIOS based on Post 1 instructions to be sure I hadn't changed anything there. I did a full re-install of Ventura 13.3 since I had done the delta update.

I booted from a thumb drive using the CaseySJ EFI folder less the Aquantia-related SSDT and Kernel checkbox. Still no WiFi or Ethernet, which is illogical -- but that's hackintoshing!

I will just use the other workaround that works for me to get WiFi and Ethernet:

Kernel --> Quirks --> DisableIoMapper --> Check ON
ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Check OFF
ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Check OFF
BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> this can be left ENABLED at all times
Good to know!

Thinking of doing this since I've lost the ability to boot into Windows from the boot picker with VT-d off.

Are there any downsides of applying these changes to the system?

Back