Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

2) I've noticed that if one uses the latest development version of OCC to edit an 0.8.3 config.plist (in my case to simply change around the Platform info from one identical machine to another), it generates context flags verified by OCvalidate. Specifically it was NVRAM LegacySchema. I got around it by entering the SMBIOS info using ProperTree. Hopefully this resolves itself when a release version of OC 0.8.3 comes out (assuming this is expected behavior).
@SmackAttack

The release version of OpenCore 0.8.3 is out and has removed NVRAM->LegacyEnable. The OpenCore Configurator app I use has not been updated yet, as of yesterday, to handle this removal so the config.plist file it generates throws up the error on booting, but continues to boot fine. I have to use the PlistEdit Pro app to manually remove that entry in the 0.8.3 config.plist file.

Until OpenCore Configurator is updated, every time it save a revised plist.config file it will continue to add the unneeded LegacyEnable entry which throws up the error message.

@SmackAttack

The release version of OpenCore 0.8.3 is out and has removed NVRAM->LegacyEnable. The OpenCore Configurator app I use has not been updated yet, as of yesterday, to handle this removal so the config.plist file it generates throws up the error on booting, but continues to boot fine. I have to use the PlistEdit Pro app to manually remove that entry in the 0.8.3 config.plist file.

Until OpenCore Configurator is updated, every time it save a revised plist.config file it will continue to add the unneeded LegacyEnable entry which throws up the error message.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/opencore-configurator-by-mackie100projects.321618/

:)

@SmackAttack

Use OCAuxiliary tool instead; its the best.

Hi, @CaseySJ. I'm planning on flashing my Thunderbolt bus on my Z390 via a RBPi4 for improved thunderbolt performance from your instructions here. I just want to be sure I have the process clear beforehand. Should I be using the supplemental procedure with the Pi or no? Specifically just looking for clarification with the pin routing from the main guide on step 3 and if I should be doing the power up procedure from the supplemental guide. Thanks!

@CaseySJ
Hey, two things:
1) I edited the Blackmagic mini-guide post today, to add some further help (steps 10&11):
Black Magic Design (BMD) Drivers in Big Sur, Monterey, and newer
Thanks for the update. I’ll add a reference to it soon in Post 1.

Update: Done

Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 7.16.35 PM.png

2) I've noticed that if one uses the latest development version of OCC to edit an 0.8.3 config.plist (in my case to simply change around the Platform info from one identical machine to another), it generates context flags verified by OCvalidate. Specifically it was NVRAM LegacySchema. I got around it by entering the SMBIOS info using ProperTree. Hopefully this resolves itself when a release version of OC 0.8.3 comes out (assuming this is expected behavior).
No worries about these OCS Schema warnings. OpenCore itself is in such a flux that its config.plist changes with nearly every release. This is why we typically wait for the updated version of OpenCore Configurator. Nevertheless, these schema warnings can be ignored as you found out yourself.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ. I'm planning on flashing my thunderbolt bus on my Z390 via a RBPi4 for improved thunderbolt performance from your instructions here. I just want to be sure I have the process clear beforehand. Should I be using the supplemental procedure with the Pi or no? Specifically just looking for clarification with the pin routing from the main guide on step 3 and if I should be doing the power up procedure from the supplemental guide. Thanks!
Oh, you’ve touched upon my favorite topic. :) Flashing the Winbond chip on Z390 Designare can be very very tricky. The supplemental procedure with a resistor/capacitor is *not* necessary. However, it may best to remove the motherboard from the chassis and remove all PCIe cards and NVMe SSDs. If this is too inconvenient, it’s still possible to read/write the Winbond chip but only if you gently wiggle the 8-pin SOIC clip on the chip. You will see a line of LEDs on the motherboard light up. If they light up in bright yellow, you will likely not be able to read the chip. If they light up in a pale red color, you should be able to read the chip. Gently wiggling the clip can make the LEDs change from bright yellow to pale red.

How’s that for voodoo science? :)

Hi. I installed from Mojave to Monterey 12.5 with OpenCore 0.8.3 using the update from HackinDROM on my Z390 Designare. I am having a lot of issues from my Ethernet ports. When I used migration assistant, it ported over the Mieze driver. I only have one Ethernet port working. When I deactivate SmallTree and Mieze kexts, the computer crashes with the Monterey driver after 30secs.
Is there a way I can get these two ports working on Monterey ? I actually need both, one for my Dante network, one for Internet.

I literally did this exact thing an hour or so before you posted! This is the solution. My steps were similar: I uninstalled Desktop Video 12.2, booted into recovery, disabled SIP (csrutil disable), and then deleted the Decklink_Driver.kext in Terminal (while still in Recovery mode). Then I restarted and installed 12.1 and it worked. Though I didn't intentionally keep SIP off. I was planning on turning it back on, but now I won't. :) Thank you. This would have saved me had I not gotten lucky.

Super interesting. I was reading that people were having issues with the new M1 chips and BMD too. Good to know that we can go back to an earlier version of Desktop Video but I agree, would be awesome if the hackintosh powers that be had a solve for this. Hopefully 12.1 will continue working for a long while.

Thank you all! Made my day.

I am using an experimental user space driver for my Metric Halo ULN-8. Works fine in Big Sur.

Oh, you’ve touched upon my favorite topic. :) Flashing the Winbond chip on Z390 Designare can be very very tricky. The supplemental procedure with a resistor/capacitor is *not* necessary. However, it may best to remove the motherboard from the chassis and remove all PCIe cards and NVMe SSDs. If this is too inconvenient, it’s still possible to read/write the Winbond chip but only if you gently wiggle the 8-pin SOIC clip on the chip. You will see a line of LEDs on the motherboard light up. If they light up in bright yellow, you will likely not be able to read the chip. If they light up in a pale red color, you should be able to read the chip. Gently wiggling the clip can make the LEDs change from bright yellow to pale red.

How’s that for voodoo science? :)
Does the mobo still need to be powered on or no? Should I be splitting the cable from pin 17 to a Y or not?

Back