Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

A whole bunch of questions:
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
  • If using OpenCore, which version of OpenCore?
  • Antelope devices require us to enable AppleVTD. The procedure for this is provided in Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides spoiler at the top of Post 1. Did you try that first?
  • What changes did you make during "post installation"?
    • Did you make changes to boot loader EFI Folder?
    • Did you make changes to macOS? If so, what changes to macOS?
  • Do you have a bootable backup?
I started off with MultiBeast (Spoiler: Post-Installation with MultiBeast 11.2.0) aplied everything for 10.14.6 MAC OSX system.
and then "Spoiler: Final Steps in Post-Installation" so I ran Clover Configurator there.

Then I did the copy paste thing from the post install files.zip ... the "biggest" change there was: "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml"

My PC was running the "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml" perfectly actually while I changed my video card to slot 2 a year ago when I bought a different WiFi card. (Everything worked perfectly there before.)

I did the same thing in the BIOS after no success in the startup...

So to answer your questions:
  • What changes did you make during "post installation"? I followed the steps from the guide... don't know anymore what setting they were before...
    • Did you make changes to boot loader EFI Folder? no
    • Did you make changes to macOS? If so, what changes to macOS? Do you mean in the SMBIOS in clover? Yes... i followed the steps...
I have no bootable backup...

@CaseySJ my Titan Ridge 2.0 comes in tomorrow and I'm prepping for it now. Is NVM50 your advised patched firmware?

@CaseySJ my Titan Ridge 2.0 comes in tomorrow and I'm prepping for it now. Is NVM50 your advised patched firmware?

I still recommend NVM33 first.

Is this the one? I was confused about it being the chip on your board versus the card.

I used a DP cable to connect with a Dell U4021QW 5K2K monitor but can't get the retina display worked. I was able to see 5120x2160 in Scaled but if I went with Default for display resolution 2560x1080, contents are blurry on the screen.

Any way to get 5K2K monitors retina display worked?

- Video card: Sapphire RX580
- Motherboard: Z390 DESIGNARE
- OpenCore 0.7.8

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 11.58.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 11.58.43 AM.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
@CaseySJ & @DeBilbao

One this new BIOS firmware based on F9i version, I have included last CPU Microcodes version 0xEC (04/24/2021) and last Intel ME version 12.0.81.1753 for Security Vulnerabilities.

Microcodes has been found on last Apple iMac19,1 firmware included on macOS 12.2 update.
Intel ME has been found on last Z390 Designare F9 firmware.

I have successfully tested this update on my custom firmware but not using Q-Flash. @CaseySJ, if you have some time, you can verify it and publicly post it :)

Thanks a lot, @Elias64Fr :clap:

I've updated my system using Q-Flash with your latest BIOS mod including the 0xEC microcode and the latest Intel ME security patches, and everything is working flawlessly.

Anyone that wants to do it, please follow the mini-guide published by @CaseySJ in this post.

It's very easy, but you must know that it's mandatory to install de modded BIOS version over the official F9i version, and if you have the latest F9 version (without letter) you must stand in it as it cannot be downgraded.

If you have the previous modded BIOS version as I had, you must install again the official F9i before, and it's a good idea to save your settings in a file stored in the same external USB memory that contains the BIOS files.

This is the first step: flashing the official F9i version using Q-Flash

220224182420.jpeg

You can see that hecksum of the official F9i version is 5736

220224182451.jpeg

After restart, you apply the @Elias64Fr modded BIOS using Q-Flash again, by selecting the file from the USB memory.

220224182611.jpeg

The moddded BIOS shares the same version number and date, but checksum differs and now it's 3C66.

220224182643.jpeg

After a new restart, I enter again into the BIOS settings and import the saved profile to have everything exactly as we left it before the update.

220224182844.jpeg

After the update, I review the boot option priorities, as I have three different NVMe SSD drives: a 500GB WD SN750 for macOS Monterey, a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus for Windows 11 Pro, and a third 1TB Samsung EVO Plus for Manjaro Linux, along with some other Linux distros for testing. Manjaro Linux is a delight to use, fast, absolutely reliable and with a great app store with Pacman and AUR repositories.

220224183022.jpeg

After a BIOS update, OpenCore looses the default boot drive, and I like resetting the NVRAM for a fresh start.

24183217.png

And macOS also looses the boot drive, so it's time to select it in the system preferences.
Captura de pantalla 2022-02-24 a las 19.44.49.png

Thanks again @Elias64Fr and @CaseySJ for your support, as I want to have my system as much protected as possible. Intel processors have had a lot of vulnerabilities and there's so much malware in the wild...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:
I have a message for all Ukrainians and Russians
Make OpenCore, not war

Dumb Question of the Day.... If you mess up your EFI but know what to do to fix it... Is there a way to make a USB bootable disk that will get you through a bootloader then boot into "normal" boot drive on the Designare. I was messing around with my USBKext for OC and removed it from the OC Kext folder and now I get to booting after it finds the drive then freeses at the missing kext. Feel free to call me dumb. I deserve it. IM downloading Monterey now but if I can avoid making an entire bootable install disk would love it.

Back