Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Try BIOS > Load optimised defaults
Cold Boot
F12 and check if you see your Linux drive and can boot into

Then check the guide and use one of the methods
Thanks. It seems that I made a mistake with moving the EFI folder of Ubuntu (should be in EFI folder, instead of the root of the EFI partition). So I fixed that. I will now try the guide.

@Inqnuam I'm one step further, I can boot into Ubuntu using the OC menu. I used Misc -> BlessOverride and added:
\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

I do, however, see it displayed as NO NAME. I guess I can live with that but preferable I want it to be named Ubuntu :)

I loaded the efi with OCConfigurator and named it Ubuntu, but that doesn't work.
Hello!
Have you checked this OC multi boot with Linux guide ?
None of these 3 methods is enabled in your config.plist

Alright! That worked. After that it was labeled as NO NAME in the OpenCore boot menu, but I renamed it Ubuntu. Still no fancy Icon is being displayed, I'll see if I can fix that.

One problem here. if CaseySJ updates his OpenCore, I need to do all these steps again myself. :) That's a bit of a pity.

One problem here. if CaseySJ updates his OpenCore, I need to do all these steps again myself. That's a bit of a pity.
I bet if you use HackinDROM your changes will be remained :headbang:

I do, however, see it displayed as NO NAME. I guess I can live with that but preferable I want it to be named Ubuntu :)

Also please check this post by @NCMacGuy
Something I just discovered that may be general knowledge, but was new to me. This may save others the same frustrations I experienced in picking the proper boot drive in the OpenCore Picker if I didn't want to use the default boot drive.

(There is a method using Terminal commands to modify these displayed names, but it was time consuming for me, so I rarely used it.)

I typically use a second drive in my builds to store bootable backups created with Carbon Copy Cloner. I find that these drives wind up with the same drive names in the OpenCore Picker window. Like this:

Ahhh, really, I didn't know that. I will try next time. :) Thanks!
You can try right now by replacing your OpenCore.efi with an older version, then the app will allow you to update

@Inqnuam I'm one step further, I can boot into Ubuntu using the OC menu. I used Misc -> BlessOverride and added:
\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

I loaded the efi with OCConfigurator and named it Ubuntu, but that doesn't work.

Alright! That worked. After that it was labeled as NO NAME in the OpenCore boot menu, but I renamed it Ubuntu. Still no fancy Icon is being displayed, Ill see if I can fix that.

1 problem here, if CaseySJ updates his OpenCore, I need to do all these steps again myself :) That's a bit of a pitty.
Have you tried this instead:
  • Add OpenLinuxBoot.efi to UEFI --> Drivers
  • Add ext4_x64.efi to UEFI --> Drivers
  • Remove BlessOverride entry
  • In the EFI partition of the Linux disk, rename the EFI\BOOT folder to EFI\NO-BOOT (any name other than BOOT) to avoid seeing two entries for Linux
    • P.S. This will prevent Linux from being booted by BIOS. Will update this post if a "Scan Policy" change can fix this problem properly.
This allows OpenCore to boot Linux directly, bypassing the grub loader.

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.20.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.20.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.19.20 AM.png
OpenCanopy Screen.png

To quote The Mandalorian, "This is the way..." :)
  1. First make a note of the MAC addresses of both Ethernet ports
  2. We need an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer like the one we use to flash Thunderbolt firmware
  3. We use the CH341a to directly read BIOS chip on motherboard
  4. We save the file to disk (we will need it below)
  5. We open the Gigabyte BIOS file that we want to flash (F9i in your case) using HexEdit
  6. We open the file we saved in Step 4 also using HexEdit
  7. From this file (from Step 4) we copy all bytes in the range 0x1000 to 0x2FFF to clip board
  8. Then we paste these bytes into the same region of the Gigabyte BIOS file (from Step 5)
  9. We save the modified Gigabyte BIOS file (F9i - modified)
  10. We use the same CH341a to flash the modified F9i back to the BIOS chip on motherboard
  11. Finally, we reboot the system, perform Reset NVRAM, go to BIOS Setup, confirm that the MAC Addresses for both Ethernet ports match those from Step 1, then configure BIOS parameters
Not for the faint of heart...
Hi everyone
As I mentioned some days ago, I had some problems with usb on TB3 port since I flashed F9 firmware.
After some nonsense responses from Gigabyte support, I decided to try the method above to go back to F9i firmware.
I’m now back to F9i with no problem and USB work fine again on TB3
My LG27MD5K has Audio, camera and USB Hub back.
The flash was done with windows PC with ASprogrammer software and HexEdit

@CaseySJ - Hey, A while back I commented that my WiFi speeds was extremely slow on this computer only (6-15 Mbs) -- I just checked my network and this computer has been on 2.4 GHz band instead of my 5 GHz band.

I have no idea why or how it is choosing this band as everything else on my Unifi network is properly assigned to the 5 GHz band... Is there a setting I am missing in OpenCore or the internet Kext?

The weird thing is if I hold option while clicking on WiFi icon, I show that I am connected to the 5 Ghz band, but in my actual Unifi Network I show 2.4 GHz.

Update: Actually, it looks like it may have been caused by my AdGuard connection. Once I disconnected, it showed in Unifi as 5 GHz connection and speeds are now 100 MBs

Last edited:
Hi everyone
As I mentioned some days ago, I had some problems with usb on TB3 port since I flashed F9 firmware.
After some nonsense responses from Gigabyte support, I decided to try the method above to go back to F9i firmware.
I’m now back to F9i with no problem and USB work fine again on TB3
My LG27MD5K has Audio, camera and USB Hub back.
The flash was done with windows PC with ASprogrammer software and HexEdit
Good job!!

Back