Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey!

Do you know the reasoning for why this fix should work? I would like to try this but I'd like to understand the fix a bit better before I dive in :)
This may not be a good idea actually. Trim delays will come back after some period of time. It's best to replace the Samsung NVMe with a different brand. WD SN750 is a good choice.

This may not be a good idea actually. Trim delays will come back after some period of time. It's best to replace the Samsung NVMe with a different brand. WD SN750 is a good choice.
Too bad. I was hoping to get away with opening up the case as it's well hidden under a bunch of other equipment :) Thanks for the response. I will wait for a bit to see if the situation gets worse first. So far it's only boot times, but I guess it will get worse with time?

Last edited:

Hi everyone.
I'm planning to upgrade to Monterrey from Mojave soon. Apart from the slower boot times, does anyone know if there are any performance problems with a Samsung NMVe 980 Pro after booting completed, like slower write/read speeds?

Hi everyone.
I'm planning to upgrade to Monterrey from Mojave soon. Apart from the slower boot times, does anyone know if there are any performance problems with a Samsung NMVe 980 Pro after booting completed, like slower write/read speeds?
@edunon

Once Monterey boots up, disk read/write speeds should be normal, but over time speed may degrade. It's more important, however, to read the sections Background and Operation here:

Follow the guide below, but adapt it for OpenCore 0.7.6. Step 11 shows which PlatformInfo credentials need to be copied.
This is just not working for me...I'll get to the graphical boot picker and once I hit my MacOS disk it'll fail with a critical error. I even tried going into the reinstall and it failed to load that page.

One big problem that I can see right now is that I'm booting off a backup EFI because I was stuck before. When I opened my Hackintool it showed me what you usually see before going through GenSMBIOS and getting your S/N. So I took the info from the EFI that's living on my main SSD via propertree (and not OC since its from 2020).

Lmk if you see anything that I did up top but at this point I dont mind just starting from scratch but with Big Sur. Should I start with the OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390 EFI?

This is just not working for me...I'll get to the graphical boot picker and once I hit my MacOS disk it'll fail with a critical error. I even tried going into the reinstall and it failed to load that page.

One big problem that I can see right now is that I'm booting off a backup EFI because I was stuck before. When I opened my Hackintool it showed me what you usually see before going through GenSMBIOS and getting your S/N. So I took the info from the EFI that's living on my main SSD via propertree (and not OC since its from 2020).

Lmk if you see anything that I did up top but at this point I dont mind just starting from scratch but with Big Sur. Should I start with the OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390 EFI?
Yes it might be best to try a fresh Big Sur installation with OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390. It is absolutely essential to configure BIOS according to Post 1 because some settings in config.plist will cause boot failure otherwise.

@CaseySJ

You're referencing to this correct?

How do you check the version of your BIOS?
Yes, we should flash BIOS F9g or F9i, then follow the BIOS configuration in the spoiler labeled BIOS F8 and Newer. The current version of BIOS is shown in BIOS Setup. Just click the Info page.

Yes, we should flash BIOS F9g or F9i, then follow the BIOS configuration in the spoiler labeled BIOS F8 and Newer. The current version of BIOS is shown in BIOS Setup. Just click the Info page.

Just looked and I'm at BIOS 8 but I wanna be able to use by USB-C port (I know you mentioned earlier to someone else about F9 not working with USB-C?).

Just looked and I'm at BIOS 8 but I wanna be able to use by USB-C port (I know you mentioned earlier to someone else about F9 not working with USB-C?).
That's why I mentioned BIOS F9g and F9i because USB-C devices will connect on Thunderbolt ports. With BIOS F9, Thunderbolt works fine, but USB-C device (which are not Thunderbolt) will not work.

Refer to Section 1 of Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 for links to F9g and F9i.

Back