Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone, happy holidays! I haven't done anything to my build since upgrading to Big Sur, and I would now like to go to Monterey and am wondering if there is anything that I should beware of, or if there's a mini-upgrade guide like for previous versions. Sorry if I missed something, and thank you in advance!

Hello everyone, happy holidays! I haven't done anything to my build since upgrading to Big Sur, and I would now like to go to Monterey and am wondering if there is anything that I should beware of, or if there's a mini-upgrade guide like for previous versions. Sorry if I missed something, and thank you in advance!
If you are on OpenCore 0.7.5 or 0.7.6, it's possible to do an in-place upgrade to Monterey. In some cases it may be necessary to set SecureBootModel to Disabled after Monterey installer has been loaded, but before the first reboot. When Monterey is fully installed, we can set SecureBootModel back to Default.

Both the 0.7.5 and 0.7.6 mini-guides can be referenced from the spoiler at the top of Post 1 called Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides, section 1.

@canyondust installed a similar capsule BIOS on his Z490 Vision G with no negative consequences for macOS. It's been several days now, and still running okay.

However, I have not seen anyone do this on Z390 Designare. Because I have two of these systems -- one of which is a test bench -- I am willing to try the capsule BIOS in about 2 weeks.
Fine, just want to know if USB-C support is reintroduced in this one. ´Cause I understand you can’t go back to older version…

Hello all, and happy holidays!

After a long while of solid work on my Hackintosh, I am looking to jump in to getting Thunderbolt working.

I've read through the guides, however I am not clear on what steps I need to take from here. I have not made any attempts at this as yet.

Hello all, and happy holidays!

After a long while of solid work on my Hackintosh, I am looking to jump in to getting Thunderbolt working.

I've read through the guides, however I am not clear on what steps I need to take from here. I have not made any attempts at this as yet.
Hello @Chevron

If you are using one of the OpenCore EFI folders from this thread, then Thunderbolt is already set up and enabled, including hot plug. Have you tried connecting and using a Thunderbolt device?

@canyondust installed a similar capsule BIOS on his Z490 Vision G with no negative consequences for macOS. It's been several days now, and still running okay.

However, I have not seen anyone do this on Z390 Designare. Because I have two of these systems -- one of which is a test bench -- I am willing to try the capsule BIOS in about 2 weeks.
@CaseySJ, you are such a dedicated professor to this mad science! I too am very curious to know if the new capsule bios improves the usb-c over thunderbolt situation on our patched AIC's. I read on a Gigabyte forum that there might be a way to use the motherboard switches to only flash the main bios and preserve the backup. Maybe that's a possibility?

Hello @Chevron

If you are using one of the OpenCore EFI folders from this thread, then Thunderbolt is already set up and enabled, including hot plug. Have you tried connecting and using a Thunderbolt device?

Hey @CaseySJ

Yes I did use an OpenCore EFI folder from this thread. I have "SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml" and "SSDT-Z390-"DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml" in the OpenCore folder, however when I go to the System Report Thunderbolt/USB 4 it says No Drivers Are Loaded

Hey, Guys! Quick Question. I am still on Catalina and thinking of going to Big Sur or Monterey. I use my Hack for music production and plugin compatibility is the main reason I am holding back stil. Are any of you in the same boat? Does anyone have expirience with music plugins (Waves Fabfilter kontakt izotope, etc.) and Big Sur or/and Monterey ?

P.S. Also UAD Apollo x4 and driver compatibility is a concern.
I moved from Mojave to Big Sur a couple of months ago. I also have an UAD2 card and I use stuff from the plugin manufacturers you mention. Big Sur has tightened security that is buggy, kexts will give you trouble. In the end it worked. Not a walk in the park.

I noticed after updating to Monterey that Airdrop doesn't work or it works whenever it chooses to. I tried to send documents from my 2 hackintoshes but Airdrop while it shows up and finds my M1 Macbook Air and iPhone 13, it cannot send them. When I tried the opposite with my mba and iphone I could send w/o issues to my 2 hackintoshes. So in the end they can receive but they can't send files. Anyone with a similar issue?
I hope it's not related to bluetooth because I ordered a few days ago a Logitech G903 and Mx Master 3 for my systems and I hope they work w/o issues. Also to mention that both systems have Fenvi T919s on them and I never had a problem on Big Sur or previews macOS.

Hey, Guys! Quick Question. I am still on Catalina and thinking of going to Big Sur or Monterey. I use my Hack for music production and plugin compatibility is the main reason I am holding back stil. Are any of you in the same boat? Does anyone have expirience with music plugins (Waves Fabfilter kontakt izotope, etc.) and Big Sur or/and Monterey ?

P.S. Also UAD Apollo x4 and driver compatibility is a concern.
I use Waves V13, Komplete Ultimate 13 with no problems on Big Sur 10.6.2 . I did an in place upgrade last March. Interface is a Apogee Symphony MKII thunderbolt on stock Designare (no firmware upgrade). Hope this helps. I would never upgrade to Monterey this soon.

Back