Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ugh, I think I royally f’d up my system. I tried to manually update but now I can’t even get to the OC picker screen on boot and get an Invalid Loadoptions error right after the BIOS bootup screen. I can’t even boot from my backup drive because I can’t get to the picker. I do have a dual boot system and can still get into Windows. Any advice on how to load an older EFI when I can’t access anything? :(

Ugh, I think I royally f’d up my system. I tried to manually update but now I can’t even get to the OC picker screen on boot and get an Invalid Loadoptions error right after the BIOS bootup screen. I can’t even boot from my backup drive because I can’t get to the picker. I do have a dual boot system and can still get into Windows. Any advice on how to load an older EFI when I can’t access anything? :(
Please try this:
  • Boot the computer.
  • At the Gigabyte Splash Screen, press F12 to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore)
  • Do you see your backup drive listed there?
  • If so, select it. Does OpenCore Picker appear?
    • If so, select the internal macOS disk (not the backup) and boot the internal macOS
Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Have you installed HackinDROM version 2.0.4?
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 2.06.55 PM.png

Please try this:
  • Boot the computer.
  • At the Gigabyte Splash Screen, press F12 to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore)
  • Do you see your backup drive listed there?
  • If so, select it. Does OpenCore Picker appear?
    • If so, select the internal macOS disk (not the backup) and boot the internal macOS
Some questions:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Have you installed HackinDROM version 2.0.4?
View attachment 531658
Whew, well I fixed the last issue and was able to reboot into the system by replacing a file by accessing the MacOS EFI through Windows.

Now, back to the HackinDROM issue, I did update to 2.0.4 but it still says "OC Beta?" for the version and I can't update (currently on OC 0.7.3). Currently on Big Sur 11.6

Last edited:
Whew, well I fixed the last issue and was able to reboot into the system by replacing a file by accessing the MacOS EFI through Windows.

Now, back to the HackinDROM issue, I did update to 2.0.4 but it still says "OC Beta?" for the version and I can't update (currently on OC 0.7.3). Currently on Big Sur 11.6
Try entering this line in Terminal (HackinDROM should not be running):
Bash:
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Inqnuam.HackinDROM
Unmount all EFI partitions. Then launch HackinDROM and mount the macOS EFI partition using HackinDROM. Do you still see "OC Beta"?

Try entering this line in Terminal (HackinDROM should not be running):
Bash:
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Inqnuam.HackinDROM
Unmount all EFI partitions. Then launch HackinDROM and mount the macOS EFI partition using HackinDROM. Do you still see "OC Beta"?
Just tried that and it's still showing "OC Beta?"

Just tried that and it's still showing "OC Beta?"
Yes I'm seeing the same thing. Try the manual approach again, but make all changes to EFI partition of a USB flash disk and boot from the flash disk (press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen).

When OpenCore Picker appears, look at the bottom right corner. Does it say REL-074-xxxx? If so, that's OpenCore 0.7.4. Then boot macOS to confirm.

If everything is okay, copy the EFI folder from USB flash disk to EFI partition of internal macOS SSD.

Yes I'm seeing the same thing. Try the manual approach again, but make all changes to EFI partition of a USB flash disk and boot from the flash disk (press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen).

When OpenCore Picker appears, look at the bottom right corner. Does it say REL-074-xxxx? If so, that's OpenCore 0.7.4. Then boot macOS to confirm.

If everything is okay, copy the EFI folder from USB flash disk to EFI partition of internal macOS SSD.
Ok, I did the manual update and OC Picker does say 074 so it's up-to-date despite HackinDROM showing "OC Beta?" still. I assume it's a bug that'll get worked out? Anyway, thanks for your help, CaseySJ! Looking forward to the official release of Monterey!

Ok, I did the manual update and OC Picker does say 074 so it's up-to-date despite HackinDROM showing "OC Beta?" still. I assume it's a bug that'll get worked out? Anyway, thanks for your help, CaseySJ! Looking forward to the official release of Monterey!
With OpenCore 0.7.4, you’re ready for Monterey!

I forgot to delete an empty row! Please do the following in the order shown, then save the file and reboot.
View attachment 531634
Once you have updated the EFI for GA-Z170X-UD5, feel free to compress and post if you'd like to have it checked.
I got the second one done with some hiccups. It took forever to get OpenCanopy to work again for some reason and I could not download any KEXTs for down rev kexts from the configurator. All working on both machines. Thanks so much!

I'm sorry but I have a problem to upgrade to Big Sur. I can't select my MacOS disk ... It is an APFS disk and the EFI is in FAT32. Did i miss a setting in config.plist ? I have read page 1 ...
I have search in the forum but I have not found a similar problem. (My error message is in French, and, when I translate it, it return nothing related.)
EDIT: Solved, firmware was not correct in SMBIOS on config.plist

Attachments

• Capture Big Sur.jpg
    Capture Big Sur.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back