Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

According to OpenCore Configurator's tips window, changing UpdateSMBIOSMode to Custom can "potentially obstruct the operation of Apple-specific tools". Admittedly this is rather vague. Have you encountered any such issues in macOS?

View attachment 528368

I can't say I have come across any problems, everything seems to be working as I would expect.

(Upgrading a clone of my bootdisk from Mojave to Big sur)
Still having trouble with backblaze, clones of your bootdrive are a definite nono. I can fix this when I move over to Big Sur.

But: a bigger problem is my Universal Audio UAD2 card. Try as I might, I can't get this working in 11.5.2.
After removing everything UAD related, and doing a clean install, it may work once but after a very slow reboot, I get No Device. Yes, I read the FAQ/How To.
Tried reinstalling/clean up several times, but the card will work maybe once, then stop after a reboot.

My hack also crashes hard after waking from sleep, als because of the UAD software/card/driver.

Has anyone seen this? Solutions?

According to OpenCore Configurator's tips window, changing UpdateSMBIOSMode to Custom can "potentially obstruct the operation of Apple-specific tools". Admittedly this is rather vague. Have you encountered any such issues in macOS?

View attachment 528368
I use this in 6 Hackintosh's, and, until now, all is the same like before.

updated

Last edited:
OpenCore 0.7.3 just released. Will update EFI folders tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.56.28 PM.png

Using Clover with real Macs can lead to issues but OpenCore was designed to work with Real Macs. Many owners of the old 5,1 Mac Pros use OpenCore as their bootloader and it doesn't create problems AFAIK. Give it a try on your Mac laptop and see if it works.
Well. It doesn't. Even after allowing booting from an external disk via the recovery partition.
I hit option while booting so I can choose another boot disk, then choose EFI, then Big Sur in OC. My MacBook Pro reboots after a couple of seconds.
If I choose Big Sur directly after booting with option(so not via EFI), it continues booting slowly and then says stuff needs to be updated and if I would like to do that now. Uh. No. I need this for my hack, and I am afraid I will make the TB3 disk unbootable.

I am probably missing something.

My MacBook Pro reboots after a couple of seconds.
As was mentioned previously the hackintosh drive you are attempting to boot will need a modification of the SMBIOS and other parameters to work with the real Mac it's booting on. If you are trying to boot a Z390 Designare drive with iMac 1,1 SMBIOS on a MBP it's certainly not going to work. That's where you'd need to take the time to work that out before booting an external drive. It would be a temporary use OC EFI folder for that specific purpose. It would work better trying it on a Mac desktop with the same or similar chipset.

Always keep a backup of the original EFI of course and have at least a current TimeMachine backup of your MBP when trying something like this.

Last edited:
As was mentioned previously the hackintosh drive you are attempting to boot will need a modification of the SMBIOS and other parameters to work with the real Mac it's booting on. If you are trying to boot a Z390 Designare drive with iMac 1,1 SMBIOS on a MBP it's certainly not going to work. That's where you'd need to take the time to work that out before booting an external drive. It would be a temporary use OC EFI folder for that specific purpose. It would work better trying it on a Mac desktop with the same or similar chipset.

Always keep a backup of the original EFI of course and have at least a current TimeMachine backup of your MBP when trying something like this.
OK. Never had to make different boot disks for different Macs before. One size fits all, very convenient.
Not sure if I've ever tried to boot a Mac Pro tower with a MBP boot disk though.
Maybe it will fix itself if I allow it to update, but then it will probably not work with my Z390 any longer.

I don't actually need it that hard, it would be convenient, that's all.

OK. Never had to make different boot disks for different Macs before. One size fits all, very convenient.
Not sure if I've ever tried to boot a Mac Pro tower with a MBP boot disk though.
Maybe it will fix itself if I allow it to update, but then it will probably not work with my Z390 any longer.

I don't actually need it that hard, it would be convenient, that's all.
I just googled a bit, a Big Sur external bootable disk should boot all Macs able to run Big Sur... All the drivers etc are there.

Back