Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks, feel a lot more confident in doing the upgrade now.
And Monterey is coming soon so welcome to the new versions of Macintosh OS.

Question about PC naming, I think this has to do with SMBIOS information, but I'm uncertain how to change it:

When I'm in Windows it seems that the naming of the About information is taken over from MacOS. Can I change this somehow so that my (original) hardware information is shown in Windows instead of the Mac-hardware?

If memory serves me right, in your config.plist file try changing

PlatformInfo/UpdateSMBIOSMode from Create to Custom
AND
Kernel/Quirks/CustomSMBIOSGuid = YES (if using OpenCore Configurator tick the box).

Right after doing Step 1 on your guide @CaseySJ I get this on the Terminal, is it supposed to be okay?
PS: I'm sorry, I'm a newbie working hard on this Hackintosh to be done.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 23.06.51.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 23.06.51.png
    695.8 KB · Views: 55
Before I can't easily get to the latest version of Big Sur(I will need this to run the upcoming Logic Pro update) I want to do the following:
Clone my current Mojave boot disk + OC EFI to an external TB3 drive(OWC Envoy Express with Samsung 980)
Upgrade this external drive to Big Sur and test the waters. If all is OK, I will remove the NVME SSD from my external enclosure and put it in NVME slot 1 on the mobo, the current NVME SSD goes to the external enclosure as a bootable backup. If I hit a snag in Big Sur, I can easily reboot in Mojave and use that.

Come to think of it, an external boot drive with all my stuff is quite handy when I have to work in another studio. Boot from this, and everything I need/use will just be there.

If they have a real mac, what will happen if it sees the tampered/OC EFI? No problem? Can I somehow hide this partition?

Your comments, please.

OK, this sorta worked.(upgrading a Mojave boot klone to Big Sur) But: the resolution of my LG 4K display is stuck at some really low value after booting, and I need to replug the Displayport connector. Then I can go into the Monitors control panel and set it to 4k.

Since switching to OC, I had weird big icons in Mojave only during the login phase, MacOS would show the correct resolution after logging in.

Also, booting is real slow. Takes minutes. Booting Mojave takes 10-15 seconds.

I would like to hear some suggestions how to fix this.

If they have a real mac, what will happen if it sees the tampered/OC EFI? No problem? Can I somehow hide this partition?
The EFI partition is always hidden by default unless you mount it. If you are talking about the boot menu, just change the PickerMode (highlighted) to Builtin from External. Then the OC boot menu doesn't appear unless you press the spacebar at boot up.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

** Experiment Update #3 **
AppleVTD Side-Effects and Mitigation Strategies

Current Situation:
To extend Thunderbolt compatibility to Antelope Audio, Apple TB-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and some other devices, we have found that enabling VT-d is the key.

This can be done on any Intel-based Hackintosh and does not require any special or modified BIOS. To enable VT-d, we need to do the following:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • In OpenCore config.plist, uncheck DisableIoMapper (in the Kernel Quirks section)
  • In OpenCore config.plist, remove "dart=0" from Boot-Args if present (in the NVRAM section)
  • After rebooting, run IORegistryExplorer to see whether a new device named AppleVTD appears near the top of the list. This confirms that VT-d is enabled.

Side-Effects:
Unfortunately there are side-effects. Different motherboards exhibit different side-effects. Here is what we know so far:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
    • With two 8GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, there are no side-effects. Everything works.
    • With two 8GB DIMMs and one 4GB DIMM, there are also no side-effects (@Inqnuam).
    • With two 16GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • If all 4 DIMM slots are occupied with 8GB or larger DIMMs, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • According to @jiffyslot, use of Corsair LPX 2666MHz memory (16GB x 4 for total of 64GB) has no side-effects (in macOS Mojave).
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
    • The system does not boot when only memory slots A1 and B1 are occupied (based on using two 16GB DIMMs).
    • Later I will see what happens with two 8GB DIMMs in either A1/B1 or A2/B2.
      • Update: Everything works with two 8GB DIMMs in A2/B2 (I used G.Skill 3200MHz modules). Four of these DIMMs, however, cause WiFi/Ethernet failure.
    • With one 16GB DIMM in A2 there are no side-effects!
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II (Intel HEDT)
    • This is an Intel HEDT (high-end desktop) platform with 8 DIMM slots.
    • When 4 slots are occupied with 8GB DIMMs each (total 32GB), there are no side-effects.
@gandem
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
    • With one DIMM installed, there are no side-effects
@qthegaijin
  • Gigabyte X299 Designare EX (Intel HEDT)
    • 128GB memory (all 8 slots occupied with 16GB DIMMs)
    • There are no side-effects (running Mojave with Mojave version of IntelSmallTree82576 kext, and ReleaseUSBOwnership checked on).
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
    • USB ports stopped working, but the solution is to enable ReleaseUSBOwnership in UEFI section of OpenCore config.plist.
    • 64GB RAM using four 16GB DIMMs.
    • After making that change, there are no side-effects.
@djlild7hina
  • ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G (Intel HEDT)
    • 64GB memory using 16GB modules in 4 of 8 slots
    • There are no side-effects
@NorthAmTransAm
  • Asus Z370-A Prime II
    • Two 8GB DIMMs and no side-effects
@maschinenwart
  • ASUS Prime X299-DELUXE-3105 (Intel HEDT)
    • Four 16GB DIMMs and no side-effects
    • Corsair - CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 (memory clock manually set to 2666 MHz)
    • 4 of 8 banks occupied
Hello, CaseySJ
When I enable VT-D in my Gigabyte X99 Designare EX (Intel HEDT), the onboard sound card will not work.
Memory 4 slots are occupied with 8GB DIMMs each (total 32GB)
I found that Broadcom's Gigabit Ethernet would not work properly without VT-D enabled in Big Sur

OK, this sorta worked.(upgrading a Mojave boot klone to Big Sur) But: the resolution of my LG 4K display is stuck at some really low value after booting, and I need to replug the Displayport connector. Then I can go into the Monitors control panel and set it to 4k.

Since switching to OC, I had weird big icons in Mojave only during the login phase, MacOS would show the correct resolution after logging in.

Also, booting is real slow. Takes minutes. Booting Mojave takes 10-15 seconds.

I would like to hear some suggestions how to fix this.
I fixed it. Probably pikera is not a good boot argument on Big Sur... Threw all boot arguments out, BAM!, resolution is fixed. Also upgraded to OC0.7.2, but that didn't fix the resolution problem.

Back