Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The EFI partition is always hidden by default unless you mount it. If you are talking about the boot menu, just change the PickerMode (highlighted) to Builtin from External. Then the OC boot menu doesn't appear unless you press the spacebar at boot up.

View attachment 528285
What I mean, will I be able to boot a real Mac with my Big Sur/OC TB3 drive? That's not a problem?

What I mean, will I be able to boot a real Mac with my Big Sur/OC TB3 drive? That's not a problem?
Using Clover with real Macs can lead to issues but OpenCore was designed to work with Real Macs. Many owners of the old 5,1 Mac Pros use OpenCore as their bootloader and it doesn't create problems AFAIK. Give it a try on your Mac laptop and see if it works.

will I be able to boot a real Mac with my Big Sur/OC TB3 drive?
You might want to change the OpenCore SMBIOS info to match that of your MAC.

will I be able to boot a real Mac with my Big Sur/OC TB3 drive? That's not a problem?
Have a look at this MacRumors guide for using OC on a classic Mac Pro.

Hello @timc3,

Yes please follow the above guide, which lists the preparation steps or prerequisites. When the prep work is done, then...

...follow this guide to install OpenCore 0.7.0 (yes, it's good to start with 0.7.0). When you open that guide, click the link shown below to install OpenCore 0.7.0 using the HackinDROM App.

View attachment 528239

After the OpenCore EFI has been created and installed in the EFI partition, boot your existing Mojave disk (with OpenCore) to make sure it still boots.

If everything is okay, then perform in-place upgrade to Big Sur.

After reviewing these guides, if you have any questions please ask.

First question, HackinDROM - is there a version that will run on Mojave? It seems like it's 10.15 onwards.

I fixed it. Probably pikera is not a good boot argument on Big Sur... Threw all boot arguments out, BAM!, resolution is fixed. Also upgraded to OC0.7.2, but that didn't fix the resolution problem.
(Upgrading a clone of my bootdisk from Mojave to Big sur)
Backblaze totally dislikes a cloned drive. Lots of stuff that doesn't work properly, unfortunately. First time I booted into Big Sur there were about a dozen warnings about blocked extensions etc. Lots of AU plug-ins that don't pass the AU validation, including Apple's own. Messy.
But I could open a couple of Logic projects, and they seemed to play OK. Geekbench scores are more or less the same, single core a bit less compared to Mojave, multicore a bit more.
How do I get rid of the dark status bar(with the Apple on the left) on the top?

If memory serves me right, in your config.plist file try changing

PlatformInfo/UpdateSMBIOSMode from Create to Custom
AND
Kernel/Quirks/CustomSMBIOSGuid = YES (if using OpenCore Configurator tick the box).
Thanks! This works perfectly fine. Now my system-naming is properly in Windows and when running benchmark software.

First question, HackinDROM - is there a version that will run on Mojave? It seems like it's 10.15 onwards.

To answer my own question, I went ahead and followed more manual instructions for switching to OpenCore, but used the Opencore 0.7 EFI zip and the AMD config.plist to start.

Had some problems upgrading to Big Sur, but changed my NVRAM csr-active-config variable to 03000000 - and the Big Sur upgrade was able to take place and I am now typing this from Big Sur on this machine.

So far it seems everything is working - Thunderbolt (now using a 828ES), my WiFi, Bluetooth etc..

Thanks for the help so far.

Using Clover with real Macs can lead to issues but OpenCore was designed to work with Real Macs. Many owners of the old 5,1 Mac Pros use OpenCore as their bootloader and it doesn't create problems AFAIK. Give it a try on your Mac laptop and see if it works.

I use OpenCore on an old MacBook Pro 2012… so it can run Big Sur (Apple capped it to Catalina), and it has also enabled me to inject support for my old Bluetooth module! OpenCore has helped me extend the life and utility of my perfectly fine old Mac.

If memory serves me right, in your config.plist file try changing

PlatformInfo/UpdateSMBIOSMode from Create to Custom
AND
Kernel/Quirks/CustomSMBIOSGuid = YES (if using OpenCore Configurator tick the box).

Thanks! This works perfectly fine. Now my system-naming is properly in Windows and when running benchmark software.
According to OpenCore Configurator's tips window, changing UpdateSMBIOSMode to Custom can "potentially obstruct the operation of Apple-specific tools". Admittedly this is rather vague. Have you encountered any such issues in macOS?

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.34.15 AM.png

Back