Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Still the same 20x2; the only remaining issue is that mini recorder hot-plug doesn't work;
my Thunderbolt bridge to my MacBook Pro works well with hot -plug.
I guess I'll leave as is. Thank you for all the help!
Yes, link speed did not change. Attached is V3 of the SSDT that uses an Apple Thunderbolt DROM. Let's give this a try (be sure to disable the previous Thunderbolt SSDT). If link speed is still the same, then it may be okay to leave it as is. If you have a Thunderbolt SSD, you could check its read/write speed using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test to see what actual speed you are getting. Some folks say that the link speed we see in System Information --> Thunderbolt is cosmetic only.

Hello team! I am coming to you because I tried to update Catalina, and I cannot do it. I had an error message which keeps it safe, and it gets stuck on this page. I'm going from Clover to OpenCore. I will need help please because I try and it doesn't work. I bind you my Clover EFI, and my open kernel EFI. Thank you.

Hello I am running Catalina on a Designare Z390 build and for the most part it has been working very well. However I have quite a few software license that i can't use in Catalina due non compatibility or they have moved on to a pricey update which does indeed have compatibility. I have decided to just fresh install Mojave to remedy this until this changes. I am at a more current BIOS than when this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-ongoing-status-of-designare-z390-with-i7-9700k.266065/ written. So before I do the fresh downgrade, is there anything I need to consider being on the newest bios?

Thanks,

@CaseySJ
So this has got to be the weirdest thing. After multiple kernel panics using several drives (and breaking for dinner), I came back to check my BIOS settings. Somehow the GPIO got switched off, which I corrected and also finally was able to disable CSM for the first time. The computer started up, but nothing had changed. After switching around some PCIe cards and putting the original Thunderbolt .aml back in Clover/ACPI/patched folder, I plugged up a drive and voila! Thunderbolt Bus!
Thunderbolt Bus Screenshot.png

Weird thing is, the drive isn't visible. I'll do some more testing and report back.
Thanks for getting me this far.

Hello I am running Catalina on a Designare Z390 build and for the most part it has been working very well. However I have quite a few software license that i can't use in Catalina due non compatibility or they have moved on to a pricey update which does indeed have compatibility. I have decided to just fresh install Mojave to remedy this until this changes. I am at a more current bios than when this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-ongoing-status-of-designare-z390-with-i7-9700k.266065/ written. So before I do the fresh downgrade, is there anything I need to consider being on the newest bios?

Thanks
I’m on the latest F9i with Mojave and Clover 5099, you should have no problem. Don’t forget the CFG lock setting (on or off by default on F9i, I don’t remember but I know you have to change the status??).

I decided to overclock my system and to make it as stable as possible with minimum setting changes. I feel I still have margin left to push it, but this is good enough for me. Let me just share my settings and results, perhaps you want to use it yourself. Fyi; the settings in my screenshots deviate from the standard BIOS settings, due to the hackintosh setting-requirements in combination with Windows 10.

Basic system info:
- Z390 Designare + i7-9700K
- Cooler Master ML360R for cooling CPU
- Overclocked from 3.6Ghz to 5.0Ghz
- Using the latest BIOS update (F9i)
- Stable on both MacOS Big Sur and Windows 10 (dual boot system). Tested for days in a row with extensive usage (Gaming, Cinebenching, Photoshop, Extracting many and large files).
- Stable temperatures

Some basic settings, but you can still look at the attached BIOS screenshots for further details:
- CPU Base Clock: 100Mhz
- Extreme Memory Profile (XMP): Profile 1
- CPU Vcore: 1.370V (instead of standard 1.200V)
- Active Turbo Ratios: Enabled, and set every core on 50 (50 times 100Mhz CPU Base Clock = 5000Mhz).
- C-States Control: Enable (disable all options there)

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 09.59.10.png

Attachments

• Z390 Designare i7-9700k Overclock.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 56
I haven't run Cinebench 23 in a while. I ran this test with F9i, same basic settings as above; flipped on the XMP but kept the RAM speed to its native 2666 MHz, changed the vcore to auto, set the Load-Line Calibration to Medium, set the base to 4.0 GHz, AVX=Off, and set my Turbo (all cores synced) to 4.8 GHz. Cool stuff!

Attachments

• HW Monitor semi-idle.png
    HW Monitor semi-idle.png
    394.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Cinebench 23.png
    Cinebench 23.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 49
@CaseySJ
So this has got to be the weirdest thing. After multiple kernel panics using several drives (and breaking for dinner), I came back to check my BIOS settings. Somehow the GPIO got switched off, which I corrected and also finally was able to disable CSM for the first time. The computer started up, but nothing had changed. After switching around some PCIe cards and putting the original Thunderbolt .aml back in Clover/ACPI/patched folder, I plugged up a drive and voila! Thunderbolt Bus!
View attachment 501615
Weird thing is, the drive isn't visible. I'll do some more testing and report back.
Thanks for getting me this far.
The device ID in IOReg is 0x15ea. That is Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge. If we look at the 3rd character we can see that:
  • “e” is Titan Ridge
  • “d” is Alpine Ridge
  • “6” is Falcon Ridge
The SSDT is only compatible with Alpine Ridge.

The device ID in IOReg is 0x15ea. That is Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge. If we look at the 3rd character we can see that:
  • “e” is Titan Ridge
  • “d” is Alpine Ridge
  • “6” is Falcon Ridge
The SSDT is only compatible with Alpine Ridge.
OK, when I get home, I’ll switch the current SSDT with the Titan Ridge one. I did get working USB-C with that one.

OK, when I get home, I’ll switch the current SSDT with the Titan Ridge one. I did get working USB-C with that one.
To enable Thunderbolt Bus on Titan Ridge, we would need to flash the firmware, which is obviously a decision not to be made lightly.

Back