Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

To enable Thunderbolt Bus on Titan Ridge, we would need to flash the firmware, which is obviously a decision not to be made lightly.
Given the difficulty with this motherboard, I’d never do that. At best I’d brick the unit. At worst, I would end up getting sucked into it Tron style.

The Titan Ridge SSDT I have for the X299 gave me more functionality over the Alpine. I’ll attempt it this afternoon And report back.

I just ordered a Alpine Ridge AIC to try with my Z390 M Gaming MB which I should have on Monday. I already have a Titan Ridge that is flashed and functional with my Apple TBD. There are a few lingering issues with TR that makes me want to try an Alpine Ridge card. I also read a post on ****** that said the Apple TBD will actually turn on at post instead of halfway through the MacOs boot process, which would be very nice.

I found this post with a repository of the SSDTs.

What steps do I need to follow to get a working SSDT and config plist modifications(I am using OC 0.6.4)? I can flash if needed, but sounds like that may not be required with Alpine Ridge?

That heroic effort deserves commendation! Attached ZIP contains two modified versions of the Intel Quartz Canyon NUC Thunderbolt firmware. Please try MOD-1 first. If there are issues with device connection on cold boot or warm boot or wake-from-sleep, then try MOD-2.

After flashing, please post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...) so I can create the Thunderbolt DROM SSDT.

UPDATE:
  • Because your Thunderbolt controller is on RP05, please try the attached Thunderbolt SSDT (both files needed).
  • Are you going to submit those Flashrom changes to the developers?

thanks @CaseySJ for your quick reply.

1. Yes with the original firmware reflashed everything back to normal ! please see the attached files,
  2. reading and writing end up with "VERIFIED" status.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I cooked a new patched firmware this morning based on a Titan ridge mod firmware ! but I still haven't been able to find the right combination to make :banghead:

Thunderbolt Controller disappears from IORegistryExplorer and nothing shown on about this Mac thunderbolt section.

Thanks CasseySJ for your support.

Attachments

• INTEL-QUARTZ-CANYON-TB3-MOD_BASED_ON_TITAN_RIDGE.bin.zip
    216.1 KB · Views: 32
  • INTEL-QUARTZ-CANYON-TB3-ORIG.bin.zip
    215.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi @CaseySJ,

I cooked a new patched firmware this morning based on a Titan ridge mod firmware ! but I still haven't been able to find the right combination to make :banghead:

Thunderbolt Controller disappears from IORegistryExplorer and nothing shown on about this Mac thunderbolt section.

Will look into this shortly. Just got back from the gym — they’ve moved the equipment outdoors and erected a tent over it. So nice to get the blood flowing!

Hi @CaseySJ - thanks again for your help with BIOS problem :thumbup:

Big Sur installation went pretty well and everything seems to be working, BUT... (I knew I'd be back!) when I restart or shut down the system hangs for about 20-30s before shutting down. It restarts and/or boots fine (and quickly!) but there's definitely something a bit funky happening during shut down. I'm sure this wasn't happening with Catalina/previous OC version, but I can't be 100%.

Full disclosure - I used a combination of your guide and one over on another site when I last updated to Catalina about 6 months ago (I was having BT/USB issues) so my EFI will not be 100% the same as yours.

From a bit of googling it seems like it could be something to do with USB mapping BUT I'm reluctant to mess with anything too drastically as Bluetooth/USB/TB3 all seem to be working as they should be at the moment.

Sorry if this is a basic question but how do I create and/or access some sort of log to identify what is happening during shutdown?

Here's my EFI just in case anything obvious pops out.
Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 16.54.37.png

As ever, thanks for the help!

Hi @CaseySJ,

Please try the attached MOD-1.

Attachments

• INTEL-QUARTZ-CANYON-TB3-CASEYSJ-MOD-1.bin.zip
    215.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi @CaseySJ - thanks again for your help with BIOS problem :thumbup:

Big Sur installation went pretty well and everything seems to be working, BUT... (I knew I'd be back!) when I restart or shut down the system hangs for about 20-30s before shutting down. It restarts and/or boots fine (and quickly!) but there's definitely something a bit funky happening during shut down. I'm sure this wasn't happening with Catalina/previous OC version, but I can't be 100%.

Full disclosure - I used a combination of your guide and one over on another site when I last updated to Catalina about 6 months ago (I was having BT/USB issues) so my EFI will not be 100% the same as yours.

From a bit of googling it seems like it could be something to do with USB mapping BUT I'm reluctant to mess with anything too drastically as Bluetooth/USB/TB3 all seem to be working as they should be at the moment.

Sorry if this is a basic question but how do I create and/or access some sort of log to identify what is happening during shutdown?

Here's my EFI just in case anything obvious pops out.

As ever, thanks for the help!
Hello @achillespilot,

It is possible to look at the system log. In fact there's a very simple command line we can use:
  • First, hit Restart and write down the time.
  • When system is booted up again, run this command:
Bash:
log show --start "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" > ~/Documents/syslog.txt
  • Where YYYY-MM-DD is the current date such as 2020-12-19
  • HH:MM:SS is the time you recorded earlier (don't worry about SS; just set it to 00). If you wrote down 10:33 for example, then use: 10:33:00
  • For this example, then, the full command would be:
Bash:
log show --start "2020-12-19 10:33:00" > ~/Documents/syslog.txt
  • This will generate a file in the Documents folder called syslog.txt. You may compress and upload that file.

I just ordered a Alpine Ridge AIC to try with my Z390 M Gaming MB which I should have on Monday. I already have a Titan Ridge that is flashed and functional with my Apple TBD. There are a few lingering issues with TR that makes me want to try an Alpine Ridge card. I also read a post on ****** that said the Apple TBD will actually turn on at post instead of halfway through the MacOs boot process, which would be very nice.

I found this post with a repository of the SSDTs.

What steps do I need to follow to get a working SSDT and config plist modifications(I am using OC 0.6.4)? I can flash if needed, but sounds like that may not be required with Alpine Ridge?
The first step is always to check if Apple TBD will work the GC-Alpine Ridge as-is, without being flashed. A custom SSDT is not even necessary for that, but it is necessary to enable hot plug. In that case we will need to know which Root Port the GC-Alpine Ridge is connected to. We can determine this by looking at the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...). If you post that file, it should be easy to download a custom SSDT from HackinDROM and apply the Root Port rename directly in HackinDROM.

Hello @achillespilot,

It is possible to look at the system log. In fact there's a very simple command line we can use:
  • First, hit Restart and write down the time.
  • When system is booted up again, run this command:
Bash:
log show --start "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" > ~/Documents/syslog.txt
  • Where YYYY-MM-DD is the current date such as 2020-12-19
  • HH:MM:SS is the time you recorded earlier (don't worry about SS; just set it to 00). If you wrote down 10:33 for example, then use: 10:33:00
  • For this example, then, the full command would be:
Bash:
log show --start "2020-12-19 10:33:00" > ~/Documents/syslog.txt
  • This will generate a file in the Documents folder called syslog.txt. You may compress and upload that file.
Great, thanks for the easy instructions. Syslog attached... sure hope you don't have to go through it line by line! :crazy:

Attachments

• syslog.txt.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
Great, thanks for the easy instructions. Syslog attached... sure hope you don't have to go through it line by line! :crazy:
Please try the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup (or update the existing bootable backup)
  • Log out of iCloud as follows:
    • System Preferences --> Apple ID (on the top right) --> Overview (on the left side under your name) --> Sign Out...
  • Reboot
    • Does it still take 40-50 seconds?

Back