Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Or anyone else

I got this issue where it gives me the screen of "American Megatrend" Telling me Ver: 1AU0K99. This is a message I'm getting before booting, quite recently. I've tried to Google search it, but there was no answer.

In order to get rid of this message, I've tried various things:
Unplug hardware, plug back in.
Reset UEFI FW settings, and added settings back to how it was.
Updated UEFI FW again, same message shows up.

It couldn't possibly be the OpenCore setup, as I've used the same setup of OpenCore and its correlating files for MacOS, when this message didn't show up.

Version 2.20.1271. Copyright (C) 2020 American Megatrends, Inc. BIOS Date: 09/16/2020 15:24:44 Ver: 1AU0K99 Press <DEL> to enter setup.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 12.02.40.png

I found this issue out after I noticed that it took some seconds more than usual to boot into MacOS. The computer still boots into MacOS, so it is not exactly an "issue", but it is an issue, I guess. So when I found out about it, I OCR-ed the picture and I've added the message in spoiler. I've also uploaded the picture of it.

I would appreciate any information in regards to this problem. Is anyone else facing this issue?

Last edited:
Version 2.20.1271. Copyright (C) 2020 American Megatrends, Inc. BIOS Date: 09/16/2020 15:24:44 Ver: 1AU0K99 Press <DEL> to enter setup.

View attachment 501507

I found this issue out after I noticed that it took some seconds more than usual to boot into MacOS. The computer still boots into MacOS, so it is not exactly an "issue", but it is an issue, I guess. So when I found out about it, I OCR-ed the picture and I've added the message in spoiler. I've also uploaded the picture of it.

I would appreciate any information in regards to this problem. Is anyone else facing this issue?

There is a switch in the BIOS for this build that can fix that. In F9i, it looks like this:

Attachments

• Toggle that there switch.jpg
    Toggle that there switch.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 79
hi - apart from the annoying restarts at the start of the day to get the titan ridge running, I've been getting on fine with it for a fair few months. not switched on my main Hackintosh for a few weeks - today I go back to it and I cannot activate the titan ridge - been shutting down and restarting - reseated the card - swapped outputs -reseated the dummy plug too to no avail - nothing has changed inside. no software updates. don't get it......any ideas?

Do any of you running opencore see "preboot" during upgrades still? I have struggled with the update to Big Sur and with the 11.1.1 update on my Aorus Xtreme box. I just got it running again after flailing around. I never did see a preboot option and my store shows updates to be done but they do not run. I have seen goggling that at least a few people had the issue until they booted from the preboot not the main disk and let it "complete" then the preboot disappeared and the store worked again for them... I can post in support if it's not ok to ask here... thanks

Good idea to wait until the full flow has been tested.

This indicates a problem with the flashrom modification. See next paragraph below.

After looking at the extracted firmware once again, I can confirm that the extracted firmware itself is not correct. The changes made to flashrom had the effect of reading the first 1MB from the chip eight times. Hence, the contents of the first 1MB are simply repeated 8 times, which is of course not correct. This also means that the Texas Instruments (TI) power delivery (PD) firmware is missing. (Most Thunderbolt SPI flash ROMs contain both the Intel Thunderbolt firmware and the TI power delivery firmware. Some motherboards employ separate flash ROMs.)

A similar problem exists when writing to the chip.

Bottom line: The changes made to flashrom are not complete or correct in that memory addresses above 1MB are not being accessed correctly.
Hi @CaseySJ,

after some datasheet reading and rereading and flashrom patch code reviewing ! I confirm that the problem root cause is a PICNIC "Problem In Chair Not In Computer" :cry::(:thumbdown:lol:

I had a conversion problem in my patch! confusion between 8-BIT and 8-Byte :confused: ! I confirm that actual memory size is 8M-Bit -> 1M-Byte.

so i downloaded the fimrware again and patched it based on your modifications ... but unfortunately whether it is with patch 1 or 2, Thunderbolt remains inactive.

please find attached the 3 binaries [Orig, with patch 1 (patched offsets : 16437, 16443, 16508, 16513), with patch 2 (patched offsets : 16437, 16443, 16508, 16513 and 16534, 16537)], can you please do your magic again ?

Thank a lot for your help.

Attachments

• about_this_mac_with_mod-1_and_2.png
    about_this_mac_with_mod-1_and_2.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IoRegistryExplorer_with_mod-1_and_2.png
    IoRegistryExplorer_with_mod-1_and_2.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 27
  • INTEL-QUARTZ-CANYON-TB3-ORIG.bin.zip
    215.8 KB · Views: 30
  • INTEL-QUARTZ-CANYON-TB3-BASES-ON-CASEYSJ-MOD-1.bin.zip
    216.1 KB · Views: 39
  • INTEL-QUARTZ-CANYON-TB3-BASES-ON-CASEYSJ-MOD-2.bin.zip
    216 KB · Views: 40
Hi @CaseySJ,

after some datasheet reading and rereading and flashrom patch code reviewing ! I confirm that the problem root cause is a PICNIC "Problem In Chair Not In Computer" :cry::(:thumbdown:lol:

I had a conversion problem in my patch! confusion between 8-BIT and 8-Byte :confused: ! I confirm that actual memory size is 8M-Bit -> 1M-Byte.

so i downloaded the fimrware again and patched it based on your modifications ... but unfortunately whether it is with patch 1 or 2, Thunderbolt remains inactive.

please find attached the 3 binaries [Orig, with patch 1 (patched offsets : 16437, 16443, 16508, 16513), with patch 2 (patched offsets : 16437, 16443, 16508, 16513 and 16534, 16537)], can you please do your magic again ?

Thank a lot for your help.
Glad you figured it out. It makes more sense now -- these chips are typically 1MB. Quick questions:
  1. If you flash the original firmware back, does Thunderbolt work?
  2. When you read from the chip or write to the chip, do you get "Unknown State" errors? Or do you get "VERIFIED" when flashing the chip?

Glad you figured it out. It makes more sense now -- these chips are typically 1MB. Quick questions:
  1. If you flash the original firmware back, does Thunderbolt work?
  2. When you read from the chip or write to the chip, do you get "Unknown State" errors? Or do you get "VERIFIED" when flashing the chip?

thanks @CaseySJ for your quick reply.

1. Yes with the original firmware reflashed everything back to normal ! please see the attached files,
  2. reading and writing end up with "VERIFIED" status.

Attachments

• about_this_mac_with_orig_firmware.png
    about_this_mac_with_orig_firmware.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IoRegistryExplorer_with_orig_firmware.png
    IoRegistryExplorer_with_orig_firmware.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 39
  • bin_flash_status.png
    bin_flash_status.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 44
Here are the files.
I've added the SSDT and instructions in the Alpine Ridge repository located here:

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.44.52 AM.png

The SSDT itself is the last file at the bottom of that post. Please try this procedure, but keep in mind it has not been tested. A reboot is necessary after the changes are made.

I've added the SSDT and instructions in the Alpine Ridge repository located here:

The SSDT itself is the last file at the bottom of that post. Please try this procedure, but keep in mind it has not been tested. A reboot is necessary after the changes are made.
Thanks. I’ll give it a try in an hour and report back. You're the best!

Hi @CaseySJ

I still can't get 40x1 to work: I tried SSDT in #28278 also I tried dolgarrenan's SSDT in the X299X thread but still the same issue. Could you take a look at my EFI and give me some advices? Thanks!
The EFI config looks file. Even the Thunderbolt SSDT is okay. Please disconnect all Thunderbolt devices, reboot, and post a screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt. Then run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... and post the latest IOReg file.

Back