Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Let me clarify as follows:
  • Log out of iCloud.
  • Go to iCloud settings from a web browser (www.icloud.com) and de-register the computer.
  • Perform in-place upgrade to Catalina, but BIOS F9g or newer must be installed and BIOS Setup --> Boot --> CFG-Lock must be set to Disabled.
  • When Catalina is installed, make a full backup.
  • Now change the system name to iMac19,1 and reboot.
  • Then login to iCloud (which will also re-register the computer).
  • Test the system for a couple of days. If no issues, you can update the backup disk (i.e. backup the modified system).

Thanks @CaseySJ, makes perfect sense! By deregistering you mean the actual device removal from the account correct?

You won't like this answer, but alas there's nothing else I can suggest. I have been discouraging the use of Thunderbolt monitors for a few weeks now due to these and similar intractable problems.
O.K., partially good news. I bought the Moshi bi-direction DisplayPort <-> USB C cable, and with it I am able to connect directly from my RX 5700 XT to the Pro Display XDR, and using SwitchResX, I can access the full resolution @ 60Hz. Note: Display brightness controls and other ports on the Pro Display XDR are not working--it's "just" a display. This is with Catalina 10.15.7 + OC 0.6.3.
Here is resolution output from /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose :
HW Dst Viewport 6016x3384 @ {0,0}

This cable, however, does not work with the LG Ultrafine 5K display.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S9DZGK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I can boot with it, but still 20x2...
The root port in the SSDT might not be correct. Have you already checked it? If not, please post the IOReg file.

I think it's RP05, should be correct.

The root port in the SSDT might not be correct. Have you already checked it? If not, please post the IOReg file.

Attachments

• TB3_issue.ioreg
    8.8 MB · Views: 48
Are the patches like SSDT-PMC, SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP that are listed at

...are these patches merged into the one of these files in the @CaseySJ folder distribution?

SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml or SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml

@CaseySJ Need help with Bluetooth and WiFi. If that can be fixed as can't find Bluetooth in Settings and WiFi is not Working for me. Only Ethernet is showing working for me. Please help and do let me know if any information is required from my end. Thanks in advance brother.

One more thing. I am unable to get my Linux partition working for me as the Bootloader someone suggested to go for refind, but not sure how to use it with OpenCore and all. Please help. I'm looking forward to hear from you what can be done so that my triple boot machine starts working as it was working with Clover.

Last edited:
O.K., partially good news. I bought the Moshi bi-direction DisplayPort <-> USB C cable, and with it I am able to connect directly from my RX 5700 XT to the Pro Display XDR, and using SwitchResX, I can access the full resolution @ 60Hz. Note: Display brightness controls and other ports on the Pro Display XDR are not working--it's "just" a display. This is with Catalina 10.15.7 + OC 0.6.3.

This cable, however, does not work with the LG Ultrafine 5K display.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S9DZGK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Read here for alternatives:

For the XDR if you want brightness control, try the Belkin Charge and Sync cable.

The hot-plug GPE method for your motherboard is _E17:
View attachment 500756
KGP's Thunderbolt SSDT will not enable Thunderbolt Bus. For that we need a more complex SSDT such as the ones located here:
Have you already tried experimenting with one of those TbtOnPch SSDTs?
Yes, I've tried a few. Just now I have added the settings and related SSDT for the Z390 AORUS Pro/Master, but I believe something is wrong.

Is this patch correct for my MB? Is this enough together with Z390 SSDTs?
  • Find: 5F453137
  • Replace: 58453137
  • Comment: _E17 to XE17
I add my Ioreg with these settings.

Attachments

• Lele_Mac_Pro With SSDT_Z390.ioreg
    6 MB · Views: 30
Back