Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly!
Please configure BIOS according to post #1, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). Also upgrade to F9g or newer, and set “BIOS —> Boot —> CFG-Lock” to Disabled.

There are three more suggestions that may or may not make a difference:
  1. After booting macOS, select Restart from the Apple menu. This is a warm boot. Then check whether the Thunderbolt Dock and UAD Apollo Twin can hot plug.
  2. Inside the SSDT, we are currently using the DROM from a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge. We could replace it with the actual DROM from your motherboard.
    • If you have a Thunderbolt-capable version of Linux (most of the recent Linux kernels support Thunderbolt), the easiest option would be to boot into Linux and follow the simple guide in this post. If you upload the resulting file, I can extract the DROM, enable Thunderbolt Switch, assign unique ID (UID), and update the Thunderbolt SSDT.
  3. GPIO3 Force Power can be handled through the SSDT, but if you find the BIOS setting, that would be ideal. The attached SSDT (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-TBFP-LeleTuratti.aml) includes some code that attempts to implement GPIO3 Force Power.
Again, these actions may or may not help.
I tried the SSDT (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-TBFP-LeleTuratti.aml), but sadly it breaks the hotplug on all devices.

I did a thorough search in the BIOS image with AMIBCP, but found no hidden options for GPIO3 Force Power.
I believe it is a fundamental option for the proper functioning of the thunderbolt on MacOS. So as in the past, I will try to open a ticket with Gigabyte assistance to ask to introduce this feature on the MB X299, hoping they do, even if I doubt it.

Then I launched a Linux live from USB, and executed the commands in this post.
Unfortunately without Thunderbolt devices I just get an error message, so I connected the Dock and rebooted.
The first command gives me an error, but the second generated the TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin file, which I hope is correct.
Now I don't know how to extract the DROM and UID, could you take a look?

Attachments

• TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin.zip
    145.5 KB · Views: 38
I got a similar issue after moving to OpenCore 0.6.4 from 0.6.3.
When Hackin sleeps, it wakes up but not signal to the monitor even with NVRAM reset
the issue went away after multiple restarts and I still dont know what was the problem
Never had this with 0.6.3

Additional note:
With 0.6.4 Hacki boots up more quickly than with 0.6.3
Hey dude!

Do you mind adding TB3 SSDT for Asrock Z490 ITX Phantom Gaming TB3/AC to https://hackindrom.zapto.org/?

I tried the one there for the other Asrock Z490 ITX Ac but PC crashes when Thunderbolt 3 connected.

This ITX Phantom Gaming also has JHL7540 chip

I tried the SSDT (SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-TBFP-LeleTuratti.aml), but sadly it breaks the hotplug on all devices.

I did a thorough search in the BIOS image with AMIBCP, but found no hidden options for GPIO3 Force Power.
I believe it is a fundamental option for the proper functioning of the thunderbolt on MacOS. So as in the past, I will try to open a ticket with Gigabyte assistance to ask to introduce this feature on the MB X299, hoping they do, even if I doubt it.

Then I launched a Linux live from USB, and executed the commands in this post.
Unfortunately without Thunderbolt devices I just get an error message, so I connected the Dock and rebooted.
The first command gives me an error, but the second generated the TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin file, which I hope is correct.
Now I don't know how to extract the DROM and UID, could you take a look?
I just checked the specifications for Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO and there's no on-board Thunderbolt controller. So you are in fact using a GC-Alpine Ridge add-in-card. So the Thunderbolt DROM in the SSDT is correct.

Have you connected the Thunderbolt header cable to the motherboard?

An alternative is to disconnect the Thunderbolt header cable, but use a jumper wire to force power to the card. On the GC-Titan Ridge we connect the top and middle pins of the J1 header, but on GC-Alpine Ridge I'm not sure if it's the same procedure.

Try enabling RebuildAppleMemoryMap in your config.plist to allow you to boot Linux.

Its Already enable and I am also sharing the config.plist from my system one more things other devices are also not working

1. All USB 3.0 Ports Not working
2. Intel Wifi And Bluetooth Not Working
3.Linux Drive on the Bootloaders is not booting at all as its only showing drive name as NoName and when trying to boot from the drive nothing happens Juts getting the error will share the screen for the same shortly.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hey dude!

Do you mind adding TB3 SSDT for Asrock Z490 ITX Phantom Gaming TB3/AC to https://hackindrom.zapto.org/?

I tried the one there for the other Asrock Z490 ITX Ac but PC crashes when Thunderbolt 3 connected.

This ITX Phantom Gaming also has JHL7540 chip
Hello,
Im sorry but I know nothing about SSDTs
@CaseySJ made everything

I found the instructions in this thread to rename OpenCore volumes, but those look like they are for Catalina, not Big Sur.

My OpenCore picker lists my main boot volume and my CCC backup volume with the exact same name... How do I fix this?

I found the instructions in this thread to rename OpenCore volumes, but those look like they are for Catalina, not Big Sur.

My OpenCore picker lists my main boot volume and my CCC backup volume with the exact same name... How do I fix this?
Can you try this please:
Change disk name from Disk Utility
shutdown the PC
Then make a cold boot

An alternative is to disconnect the Thunderbolt header cable, but use a jumper wire to force power to the card. On the GC-Titan Ridge we connect the top and middle pins of the J1 header, but on GC-Alpine Ridge I'm not sure if it's the same procedure.
@LeleTuratti It is most defiantly the same procedure on a GC-Alpine Ridge. I use this procedure on my Z370 HD3 build with GC-Alpine Ridge card where the motherboard does not have Thunderbolt support. However, GC-Titan ridge card with Modified firmware gives far better Thunderbolt 3 implementation IMO and is the closest you're going to get to a "real Mac"!

@CaseySJ, just want to give you a massive thanks for this build and your help on here the couple of times I screwed up. It has served me extremely well and I've been using it as my professional video editing station for over a year and a half now. As stable as any original Mac and blazingly fast. Thanks man!

- NZXT H500i
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare
- i9 9900K + Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
- 64GB 3200 MHz DDR4
- Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro+, 8GB
- 2x Acer PE320QK monitors
- 1TB m.2 SSD boot drive, 8TB Samsung SSD for editing, 500GB Samsung SSD as scratch disk, 250GB Samsung Windows drive
- Steinberg UR-RT2 audio interface
- Neuman KH120A speaker monitors
- Presonus T10 subwoofer
- Apple Magic Keyboard (Space Gray)
- Razer Viper mouse
- macOS 10.15.7

setup.jpeg

Last edited:
Back