Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It looks like Big Sur breaks LG UltraFine 5k support. I had it working well with my Z390 Aorus Pro and Titan Ridge 1.0 card with Elias23 firmware but on Big Sur the monitor doesn't turn on when I boot or restart. Has anyone else gotten their setup to work with Big Sur?
My LG Ultrafine 5k is currently working fine on Big Sur except it's running at 4k (it was running true 5k on Catalina).

Note that I'm using a GC-Titan Ridge PCIe card as a 2xDP to TB3 converter, it's the only way I managed to get 5k to work with the Ultrafine since it needs 2 DP stream and the onboard Alpine Ridge of the Z390 Designare is not capable of converting 2 DP stream from the dGPU (since it's also hardwired to the iGPU).

Edit: My LG Ultrafine 5k is now running at 5k on Big Sur. The problem wasn't related to Big Sur at all but to my migration from Clover to OpenCore, I was missing some boot argument.

Last edited:
CCC is able to make the destination disk bootable. I'm not sure rsync alone can achieve that. With Big Sur, the process is five orders of magnitude more complicated thanks (or no thanks) to Apple's increasingly constrictive security policies. Only the beta version of Carbon Copy Cloner can make a bootable Big Sur backup!

Thanks! Actually, I sort of figured that out today ... rsync used to be able to do the job with HFS+ but the issue is that APFS is actually a multi-layered container that has many different filesystems embedded ... some of them are mounted during runtime, and some are only mounted during boot, and some even are only mounted in rescue mode. Each one of those "sub-volumes" would have to be created, managed and synchronized, which probably would involve mounting and un-mounting them, might be painful to write a script for doing that... This also explains why APFS is sort of "dog-slow" on rotating hard drives - the actual storage of all the filesystems inside an APFS container is intertwined as they share the same disk space, so it would take a long time to the arm to move and reach different cylinders containing the proper data from a particular filesystem inside it. In SSDs the impact is not so bad, though it is always faster to access contiguous blocks on a SSD.

There is also the issue of "blessing" (I am not kidding the program is actually called bless) some files or directories that Clover/Opencore look for those signatures to determine if it is going to show the disk as bootable or not, but with APFS not even sure if that is the case anymore. If OpenCore really properly emulates NVRAM then at certain point we should be able to choose the default boot simply using the "startup disk" in "system preferences" like any mac...

@jiffyslot @CaseySJ Big Thanks ! :headbang:
I've already got opencore 0.6.3 + Big Sur running its the most basic and quickest dortania guided upgrade from Catalina which destroyed my WD NVMe that had windows. Here's how my EFI looks.View attachment 496624

Everything works but its not optimal. I got like 38 seconds boot time, DarkWake wakes me up every 10/20/30 mins does something with the monitor turned off and sleeps again. Plus my Windows didn't respond to anything after the upgrade so I nuked it for a fresh install.

So now I have
Samsung NVMe -> Big Sur with OC 0.6.3
WD NMVe -> Where I want to install Windows

How can I install Windows keeping OC in charge and primary , but also without having to open up my desktop ?
Once I do this, I'll start updating my EFI to Caseys

p.s. Updated bios to F9i
We have a fully configured OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI for Designare Z390 located here. Although you are most welcome to create your own EFI folder, it's much easier for us to support you if you use the one provided in this guide.

To install Windows, please see this post:

Hey CaseySJ, can you update the link on "OpenCore Mini-Guide for Designare Z390" to go to 0.6.3? I think that might solve a lot of headaches. I think most long time followers of this page only look at the top and occasionally go through your updates to see if something's new.

Agreed. That guide now looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 10.10.04 AM.png

Also, now on Big Sur! But I'm wondering whatever happened to RadeonBoost? I remember reading the dev was giving up because it was supposed to be in Big Sur. My experience with it was I saw the performance increase but it introduced graphic render errors "Random White Boxes" in exported video in Premiere when Red Giant effects were used on clips. This was sadly a deal breaker for me and I had to abandon it. It showed a lot of promise to me, sad it wasn't built on.

I no longer recommend RadeonBoost. It seems to inflate artificial benchmarks, but does not deliver performance enhancements in real-world applications.

If OpenCore really properly emulates NVRAM then at certain point we should be able to choose the default boot simply using the "startup disk" in "system preferences" like any mac...

I do already, that has worked for a very long time now.

Hey @CaseySJ ,

I hope all is well with you.

Got 2 questions for ya:

OC Configurator Issue
I recently switched from Clover to OC (0.6.3) w/ Big Sur. Everything is running great for the most part, except 1 odd thing: OC Configurator freezes/crashes when going into the Mount EFI tool. Oddly enough, this also occurs if I go into clover configurator to try mounting the EFI through that. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Using A PCIE SSD Adapter?
Also, I forgot to remove my windows drive before switching to Big Sur, and it wiped that drive. I've tried the different M2M/M2P configurations, but something always happens where one of the drives goes missing or is wiped clean. Would using a PCIE to NVMe SSD adapter for my Windows drive make any difference in preventing this from occurring?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Hey @CaseySJ ,

I hope all is well with you.

Got 2 questions for ya:

OC Configurator Issue
I recently switched from Clover to OC (0.6.3) w/ Big Sur. Everything is running great for the most part, except 1 odd thing: OC Configurator freezes/crashes when going into the Mount EFI tool. Oddly enough, this also occurs if I go into clover configurator to try mounting the EFI through that. Any ideas on what could cause this?
Hello @digimax
  • Are you using two PCIe NVMe SSDs? If so, what are their makes/models?
  • Are you also using old fashioned spinning hard drives (HDDs)? If so, which SATA ports are they connected to? Remember that SATA ports are individually numbered from SATA0 to SATA5.
  • Have you tried using EFI Agent to mount EFI partitions? It's available from GitHub here.

Using A PCIE SSD Adapter?
Also, I forgot to remove my windows drive before switching to Big Sur, and it wiped that drive. I've tried the different M2M/M2P configurations, but something always happens where one of the drives goes missing or is wiped clean. Would using a PCIE to NVMe SSD adapter for my Windows drive make any difference in preventing this from occurring?
I don't think your Windows drive got wiped. macOS does not do that kind of stuff! ;)

More likely, it's possible that the Windows boot loader was moved or removed. If you perform a cold boot (shutdown system, flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power back up) does the Windows drive show up? Does the Windows drive show up in BIOS Boot Menu (press F12 at BIOS splash screen)?

Edit: My LG Ultrafine 5k is now running at 5k on Big Sur. The problem wasn't related to Big Sur at all but to my migration from Clover to OpenCore, I was missing some boot argument.
It would help others to know which boot argument was needed for LG UltraFine 5K...

You may use the attached SSDT, but use Search/Replace to replace all instances of RP05 with the actual root port of your GC-Titan Ridge. IORegistryExplorer can show us the root port. If you need help, select File --> Save As... in IORegistryExplorer and post the saved file.
Capture d’écran 2020-11-17 à 20.55.31.png

Hello @digimax
  • Are you using two PCIe NVMe SSDs? If so, what are their makes/models?
  • Are you also using old fashioned spinning hard drives (HDDs)? If so, which SATA ports are they connected to? Remember that SATA ports are individually numbered from SATA0 to SATA5.
  • Have you tried using EFI Agent to mount EFI partitions? It's available from GitHub here.

I don't think your Windows drive got wiped. macOS does not do that kind of stuff! ;)

More likely, it's possible that the Windows boot loader was moved or removed. If you perform a cold boot (shutdown system, flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power back up) does the Windows drive show up? Does the Windows drive show up in BIOS Boot Menu (press F12 at BIOS splash screen)?
@CaseySJ ,

I am using:
- x2 Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe M.2 1tb, 1 for MacOS and 1 for Windows.
- x1 Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD SATA (For my MacOS Backup Drive)
- x1 Samsung 860 QVO 2tb SSD SATA (For Storing Games on the Windows side)

I can't recall which SATA ports the are connected to but I know they are the correct ones that don't interfere with each other, I researched extensively before installing them to make sure of it.

Scratch that, just checked and they are on Sata 3-2 & 3-3.

Prior to OC I had been using an external flash drive as my EFI to boot into mac/windows with Clover.

and you are correct! The whole drive did not get wiped, the bootloader was removed. Fortunately I use NTFS for Mac and was able to backup everything. Just decided to wipe it anyway, as anytime this has happened I have not been able to boot into it again.

I was able to boot into Windows once with OC Picker just before installed Big Sur, after that it failed to boot from both the bios or OC Picker.

Back