Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @CaseySJ

Well,

I'm very systematic with new systems, and something strange is happening and I can't find out, let's see if you have any ideas.

1. I installed Big Sur on a clean SSD drive. I configured the basic things, without installing programs. After finishing I made a clone for another HD.
2. With this clone working perfectly, I started to install the programs I use, installed everything and for two it worked perfectly, and didn't install anything in the last two days.
3. Today after starting the system, I noticed that a long time to load the system, staying in the apple for more than 3 to 5 minutes, but charging and after loading everything works perfectly.

Well I thought, something on Bios, NVram etc:

1. I turned the machine off and on again .. nothing (unplugged)
2. I cleaned the Bios and loaded it again .. nothing ...
3. I cleaned the NVram starting at OC .. nothing ..
4. I made a clone of this HD, thinking it could be something on the HD… the other HD has the same problem.
5. I tested with OC version 0.62 .. same problem ..

Well I took the HD first where I did the first installation of Big Sur, enter quickly without any delay ...
I also have an old HD where the old Catalina is, boot by ... no problem.

I can no longer imagine what could be causing this slowdown in Big Sur after two days working normally and in this HD the delay in going up the system.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks,

I have switched my Aorus Pro to OC 0.6.3 and Big Sur. I've lost audio from the rear jack. Which audio layout ID are folks with Aorus Pro's using?
thanks
If you used the OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI from this thread, then Audio Layout ID is set to 11, which may not be appropriate for your board. You may try changing it to 1 first by modifying the Boot-Arg "alcid". Change it to "alcid=1".

I have a Z390 Aorus pro with one USB-C port on the back of the motherboard.
I have an adapter TB2->TB3, and I'm trying to connect my UAD device.
When I plug the adapter, the system say that I cannot use thunderbolt accessory (not supported on this mac).

I think I miss something...
The Z390 AORUS Pro does not have built-in Thunderbolt. The USB-C port on that motherboard is just USB-C, not Thunderbolt.

Hello @CaseySJ

Well,

I'm very systematic with new systems, and something strange is happening and I can't find out, let's see if you have any ideas.

1. I installed Big Sur on a clean SSD drive. I configured the basic things, without installing programs. After finishing I made a clone for another HD.
2. With this clone working perfectly, I started to install the programs I use, installed everything and for two it worked perfectly, and didn't install anything in the last two days.
3. Today after starting the system, I noticed that a long time to load the system, staying in the apple for more than 3 to 5 minutes, but charging and after loading everything works perfectly.

Well I thought, something on Bios, NVram etc:

1. I turned the machine off and on again .. nothing (unplugged)
2. I cleaned the Bios and loaded it again .. nothing ...
3. I cleaned the NVram starting at OC .. nothing ..
4. I made a clone of this HD, thinking it could be something on the HD… the other HD has the same problem.
5. I tested with OC version 0.62 .. same problem ..

Well I took the HD first where I did the first installation of Big Sur, enter quickly without any delay ...
I also have an old HD where the old Catalina is, boot by ... no problem.

I can no longer imagine what could be causing this slowdown in Big Sur after two days working normally and in this HD the delay in going up the system.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks,
Please try enabling verbose mode by adding -v to the end of Boot Args in OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM section. Then see where the boot process pauses. It is possible that macOS Big Sur is just processing disk snapshots. Does the system take 3-5 minutes to boot every time on that particular SSD?

Please try enabling verbose mode by adding -v to the end of Boot Args in OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM section. Then see where the boot process pauses. It is possible that macOS Big Sur is just processing disk snapshots. Does the system take 3-5 minutes to boot every time on that particular SSD?
Only on this disc, but I made a clone of this same disc and the same problem occurs.

If you used the OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI from this thread, then Audio Layout ID is set to 11, which may not be appropriate for your board. You may try changing it to 1 first by modifying the Boot-Arg "alcid". Change it to "alcid=1".
thanks. I took the summer off from hackintoshing and I've gotten rusty! I just remembered that the applealc page on GitHub lists all the possible ID's for the Realtek 1220. I'll try tomorrow starting with your suggestion of layout 1.

Update:

The Elias v23 firmware and the Titan Ridge 1.0 on Big Sur with the LG 5k UltraFine screen DOES NOT WORK. The monitor does not turn on after a cold boot and takes several plug/unplug cycles to turn on after a restart, if it happens at all.

Flashing the Titan Ridge card back to stock firmware but leaving the thunderbolt DSDT's causes severe display dropouts every 2-3 seconds lasting about 2-3 seconds. Removing the DSDT's alleviates this. In either case, stock firmware means you can't use any of the built-in monitor devices.

If you are using a 5K UltraFine screen and a Titan Ridge card I suggest you remain on Catalina for the time being. I might get adventurous and try later variants of Elias' firmwares for the TR card and report back.

Update:

The Elias v23 firmware and the Titan Ridge 1.0 on Big Sur with the LG 5k UltraFine screen DOES NOT WORK. The monitor does not turn on after a cold boot and takes several plug/unplug cycles to turn on after a restart, if it happens at all.

Flashing the Titan Ridge card back to stock firmware but leaving the thunderbolt DSDT's causes severe display dropouts every 2-3 seconds lasting about 2-3 seconds. Removing the DSDT's alleviates this. In either case, stock firmware means you can't use any of the built-in monitor devices.

If you are using a 5K UltraFine screen and a Titan Ridge card I suggest you remain on Catalina for the time being. I might get adventurous and try later variants of Elias' firmwares for the TR card and report back.
did you switch from clover to opencore at the same time you installed Big Sur?

Update:

I can confirm. I've been on the original v50 firmware and it's been working on Big Sur (well my Ultrafine 5K and USB have been working). Today I tried the Elias v23 firmware and the only way I could get it working was by plugging in an additional monitor in the HDMI port. I've switched back to the v50 firmware and Big Sur is running normally again.

Last edited:
Back