Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey I’ve followed the guide and my Hackintosh has the same components of this guide, the only difference is I have a VEGA64 as my only graphics card.
The bugs I’m experiencing are:

· I have 2 monitors connected via Display Port cause if I plug any of them via HDMI the screen blinks in black once every 3~5 seconds. Watching the HDMI out through a capture card (Elgato HD60S+) I also see that glitches only happen when I move the mouse and also if I play any youtube videos the sound sounds like very short audio loops then normal for 3~5 seconds and it glitches again and so on. If I unplug the HDMI, everything goes back to normal… but I need to record the screen for my work with an external capture card but it becomes unuseful.

· Freezes: (unrelated to the first bug) Sometimes the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive (if I have music, videos or any app runing they keep runing like normal) and I have to force a shutdown.

· Black screens and high fan noise: Randomly the screens black out and the fans of the graphic card (VEGA64) turn up so loud. If any music/video was playing before the bug, they keep sounding normally but again, I have to force a shutdown.

· Occasionally (every 2~15 minutes) the audio glitches for half a second (it mutes or glitches).
Some questions:
  • What are the makes/models of the monitors?
  • Are you using any adapters such as DisplayPort to HDMI cable or adapter?
  • Are the monitors configured for RGB or YCbCr color space? Refer to the monitor owner's manual. They should be configured for RGB.
  • What is the make/model of the mouse and keyboard?
  • Is this a fresh installation or was an older system migrated (i.e. an older SSD was transplanted from the old system to this system and only the EFI Folder was modified)?
  • Was Migration Assistant used to transfer data and applications from a previous computer?
Lastly, regarding the Vega GPU, it might be a good idea to try adding a custom fan/power profile (soft power play table). Please see this post for details:

Some questions:
  • What are the makes/models of the monitors?
  • Are you using any adapters such as DisplayPort to HDMI cable or adapter?
  • Are the monitors configured for RGB or YCbCr color space? Refer to the monitor owner's manual. They should be configured for RGB.
  • What is the make/model of the mouse and keyboard?
  • Is this a fresh installation or was an older system migrated (i.e. an older SSD was transplanted from the old system to this system and only the EFI Folder was modified)?
  • Was Migration Assistant used to transfer data and applications from a previous computer?
Lastly, regarding the Vega GPU, it might be a good idea to try adding a custom fan/power profile (soft power play table). Please see this post for details:

Some answers:

What are the makes/models of the monitors?
Main: SAMSUNG U28E590 (I’ve tried it’s 2 HDMIs and they make the screen blink and the DP).
Secondary: SAMSUNG LS24B150BL (doesn’t have HDMI, I got it plugged via DP to DVI.
Capture card: Elgato HD60S+ via HDMI. The sound glitches and the screen freezes every few seconds only when I move the mouse.

Are you using any adapters such as DisplayPort to HDMI cable or adapter?
No.

Are the monitors configured for RGB or YCbCr color space? Refer to the monitor owner's manual. They should be configured for RGB.
Mine is configured for RGB.

What is the make/model of the mouse and keyboard?
Keyboard: apple numeric keyboard wired
Mouse: Logitech M150 wired (I’ve also tried the magic mouse 2 vía Bluetooth but it’s laggy in general)

Is this a fresh installation or was an older system migrated (i.e. an older SSD was transplanted from the old system to this system and only the EFI Folder was modified)?
Fresh installation.

Was Migration Assistant used to transfer data and applications from a previous computer?
No.

Correct drive name for macOS Big Sur on OC 0.6.2 (BETA).
IMG_1062.jpeg

Will the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D fit into a carbide 300R chassis or do you recommend getting the chassis referenced in this build?

I checked my boot NVME SSD the other day. Looked normal.
I changed a lot(BIOS version, Clover etc.) to see if I could get rid of the problem. But it's still there, though a bit less frequent.

Slide = 0 seems to have fixed it. I removed it at some point, after changing FwRuntimeServices.efi. and OcQuirks-4.efi to something else that didn't work 100%. Apparently, FwRuntimeServices.efi. and OcQuirks-4.efi need Slide = 0 to work all the time.

I am thinking of getting rid of all the speedstepping options in the BIOS, and also maybe hyperthreading just to see if this will help with stability and sheer CPU power for DAW usage. I know for a fact that Pro Tools Ultimate on PC needs this to work properly.
I have reasons to believe MacOS may misinterpret the way audio buffers(with their short bursts of high activity) work and will step down the CPU because of this.

Will this cause problems on a Hack? You can't really adjust these settings on a real Mac, and I wonder if MacOS will work properly if I do this in the BIOS.
I also remember there was this kext that made your Hack run at full throttle all the time. Forgot the name, it was quite some time ago.

Tried getting rid of speedstepping etc in the BIOS, but this had zero influence on CPU behaviour, as witnessed by Intel Power Gadget. I guess MacOS takes care of all the throttling/speedstepping, without taking the BIOS settings in account.

Hello @Lorenstrex,

If you're planning a new build, I would recommend the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with a Comet Lake processor. For gaming performance, an AMD RX 5700 XT such as PowerColor Red Dragon can be a good choice.

You said the PowerColor Red Dragon would be good with the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, but when I researched the two components, it says that graphic card is PCIe 4.0, but the mobo does not support PCIe 4.0 according to the product information. Is this true?

Wait, that's a great score! Are you running DR Studio by chance, so both GPU's get used? Can you try clearing DR cache, and double checking the frame rate? @verendus got 22 seconds on the first run but got 45 after double checking. Otherwise, we have to dig deeper to figure out how you got such a great score!
Hi, what is your current setup? Are you sticking with iMacPro1,1? Did you enable iGPU? Catalina with OC 0.6.1? It's been a while for me and I know I have very similar setup to yours. So I wanted to catchup and see what worked for you.

Back