Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Good morning everybody!

I updated EFI from OpenCore 0.6.0 to 0.6.1 for Catalina 10.15.6 following @Casey guide (OpenCore 0.6.0/0.6.1 EFI)
The process. went smoothly but for some reason sidecar feature does not work anymore. I'm not sure what could caused this... In OpenCore Configurator (last version) I copied MLB, UUID, S/N into config.plist but not ROM and I'm not sure if I should have to... If anybody come across the same issue I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

P.S. I just checked the ROM number and it's the same as in my previous version of config.plist (0.6.0) so the ROM did not cause the issue. It must be something else....
Please try the suggestions in this post:

Hi Casey!
I'm thinking of upgrading my build using your configuration of mobo and graphics, but got some questions (this will be my third hack, but I'm still noob).

1) I have the Carbide 300R chassis and H60 water cooler, will that be ok to use for this, or do I have to replace with what you did? My current CPU (i7 6700K) runs 16-20C with the H60.

2) Is this a good graphic card for gaming? It would be nice to have something good that can last me a little while atleast! I just noticed this build was created in 2018, so maybe there are better ones now?

3) I got the Corsair RM650 PSU, do I need 750? I'm only using the onboard fans atm.

4) Will it be ok to use i9 9900K instead of the i7 9700, or does that pose compatibility issues? I prefer ease of install...

5) I considered going for Mojave 10.14.6, because it's probably more stable than Catalina, true or false?

Thanks! Hoping I haven't asked something that's been already answered a million times. I just noticed the post has 2600+ pages...
Hello @Lorenstrex,

If you're planning a new build, I would recommend the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with a Comet Lake processor. For gaming performance, an AMD RX 5700 XT such as PowerColor Red Dragon can be a good choice.

However, AMD's "Big Navi" announcement is coming in late October, which could compete with the new Nvidia 30-series. So that might be a better choice if Apple provides the drivers.

Regarding your questions:

1. Corsair H60 might not be sufficient for an 8-core processor. It's okay for a 4-core and 6-core processor. Your i7-6700K is a 4-core processor.

2. AMD RX580 is okay for gaming, but RX 5700 XT is the best one currently on the market. Big Navi should be even better when it's announced late next month.

3. For a high-end GPU and a CPU with 8+ cores, I would recommend 750W power supply.

4. i9-9900K is perfectly okay. But if you choose Z490 and Comet Lake, then i9-10700K is a better choice. The i9-10700K is also 8-core CPU, but cheaper than i9-9900K.

5. If your applications are all 64-bit compliant, absolutely definitely positively unequivocally install Catalina and then upgrade to Big Sur next month. I will stop supporting Mojave soon.

This means we should not generate a new ROM when upgrading OpenCore. We generate a new ROM only when doing a new installation with a new serial number.

Sure!
But my question was about ROM for new builds because CopyConfig is almost ready to generate new
  • System Serial Number
  • System UUID
  • MLB (Board Serial Number)
for selected Product and inject values into config.plist of choice.

Last edited:
Ok i will try this.
What about the CsR ?
Thank you
@CaseySJ ,
Sorry to Bother you again.
Which information should we copy on RT Variables and SMBios when updating Catalina on Clover ?
Because there are existing variables from your Plist, like the CSR number.

thank you and sorry again

@CaseySJ ,
Sorry to Bother you again.
Which information should we copy on RT Variables and SMBios when updating Catalina on Clover ?
Because there are existing variables from your Plist, like the CSR number.

thank you and sorry again
No problem... Please do this:
  • First go to SMBIOS section and copy Board Serial Number to clipboard (CMD-C)
  • Now go to RtVariables and:
    • Paste clipboard into MLB (CMD-V)
    • Then ensure that ROM field is not empty. If it's empty, click the Generate button just under and to the right of the ROM field.
    • Set CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
    • Also check that BooterConfig is set to 0x28

No problem... Please do this:
  • First go to SMBIOS section and copy Board Serial Number to clipboard (CMD-C)
  • Now go to RtVariablesand:
    • Paste clipboard into MLB (CMD-V)
    • Then ensure that ROM field is not empty. If it's empty, click the Generate button just under and to the right of the ROM field.

Thank you.
I also changed the BIOS release date and BIOS version which was different than my old plist. Don't know if I had to do that.
I will keep you informed.

Right now, I boot on the USB disk. At CloverBootloader I select my old MacOs SSD. It boots in. I then select System preferences Update.
However at 10-20% it does a restart cycle, goes through BIOS screen, then to the CloverBootloader.
Which Partition should I boot on ?
There are news ;
- Mac Os- Install Data
- Mac preBoot Data
- Boot Test
-Mac OS (Previous SSD)

Il already tried Mac-Os but leads to boot without an install.
THank you

Last edited:
Here a little guide from all I've learned and compiled the information you gave me ;

How to Update An existing Catalina to the Latest One ?

Preparations :
A) Mount your MacOs EFI Partition Using Clover Configurator ((Using Clover Configurator ). Launch Clover Configurator, Then under the bottom left Toolbar called Tools, Select Mount EFI. Select EFI on APFS container (or your own MacOs's drive). Fill your password.
B) Open Partition
C) Go into EFI/Clover/Config.plist. Open it with Clover Configurator.
D) On the Left Toolbar select RtVariables. Copy paste the informations in the central zone into a TextEdit. You can also take a screenshot (cmd + space : "Screen Shot"). You will need those informations for later.
E) On the Left Toolbar select SMBIOS. Copy paste the informations into a TextEdit. You can also take a screenshot (cmd + space : "Screen Shot"). You will need those informations for later.
F) You can close your config.plist. Unmount your own drive EFI Partition.

Updating :
1) Find a spare USB flash disk or use an existing USB install disk.
  • If using a new USB flash disk, format the disk in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Boot Test
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk (Using Clover Configurator )
  • If there's an EFI folder in the EFI partition, rename the EFI folder to something else, such as EFI-OLD.
2) Download Latest Cloverr from GitHub by Latest Clover . Download the .pkg file.
  • Launch the Clover installer and allow the app to run (System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General).
  • Click Continue, Continue, Change Install Location... and select the USB flash disk (Boot Test you just created)
  • Then click Customize -- don't overlook this.
  • These 2 buttons are located here:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.32.34 AM.png
  • Check that the Customize page looks exactly like this:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.33.04 AM.png
  • Click the Install button.
  • The EFI partition of the USB install disk will already be mounted (Clover installer will do this automatically).
    • Open the EFI Folder on the EFI partition of USB disk. You'll see a CLOVER folder, of course.
    • Open the CLOVER folder.
    • Download the attached Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip (May 2020) into your Downloads folder on the Mac . Those folders are also attached Here.
    • Into this ZIP, you will find 2 config files there:
      • config-IGPU.plist
      • config-AMD-GPU.plist.
  • Open config-AMD-GPU.plist using clover configurator. Goes to the left toolbar. Fill all the RtVariables and SMBIOS according your old config.plist, using the screenshots and the informations you just saved before (See : Preparations).
    • You will have mostly to fill those informations
      • Into RT variables
        • ROM
        • MLB
      • Into SMBIOS
        • BIOS Version,
        • Bios release date
        • Serial Number
        • SMuUID
    • Save the config-AMD-GPU.plist (cmd + s). Rename it to config.plist
  • Open the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
    • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
    • Locate the folder Copy-to-drivers-UEFI in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
    • Copy all .efi and .plist files from this folder into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
  • Open the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
    • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
    • Locate the folder Copy-to-kexts-Other in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
    • Copy all .kext files from this folder into CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Open the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
    • Locate the Copy-to-ACPI-patched folder in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
    • Copy all .aml files from this folder into CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Copy the config.plist you just renamed (was before "config-AMD-GPU.plist") into EFI/Clover. They will ask you if you would like to replace the old file. Tick "Replace".
  • Unmount your EFI BootTest.

Restart Computer.
  • Then boot from the USB flash disk by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen and choosing the USB disk (Boot-Test).
    • You will boot into the CloverBootLoader from the Boot-Test
  • At Clover Boot Menu (The one from Boot-Test), select the normal option to boot into macOS.
    • This will boot and load your normal MacOS.
    • Select on The Left Top Mac -- System Preferences -- Software Update.
    • Click Update.
    • Then Restart Now. The computer will launch the installation.
  • At 10-20 % of the installation, the computer will restart
    • At this moment Press F12, Boot Again on the BootTest EFI
    • On the CloverBoot Menu (From the Boot Test), select "Mac OS Install-Data"
    • The bar will not move for 5-7min, then will move again.
  • At 70-80% of the installation, the computer will restart again
    • At this moment Press F12, Boot Again on the BootTest EFI
    • On the CloverBoot Menu (From the Boot Test), select "Mac OS" (Your own Mac OS drive, not the Boot Test USB stick)
    • The bar will finish to fill up. Then its done.
    • You can now check -- System Preferences -- Software Update, that the Mac is Up To Date. The Mac System might ask you to update your safari to v14. Just do it.

Thanks to CaseySJ for his patience.

This is a coffee lake 8th gen i7-8850h On board with uhd 630 and nividia p1000 ( disabled via bios). HDMI port routed to Nvidia so it won't work since I disabled the discrete graphics.

I have installed Catalina. Everything working fine except thunderbolt at this moment.

Thanks for your reply.
Hi @CaseySJ ,

Do you have time to check the rom I uploaded earlier to see possiblity to activate thunderbolt bus of my laptop?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @CaseySJ ,

Do you have time to check the rom I uploaded earlier to see possiblity to activate thunderbolt bus of my laptop?

Thanks in advance!
Because the Thunderbolt firmware was saved from Linux, it's not entirely suited for flashing. If you extract the Thunderbolt firmware using an external SPI flasher (Raspberry Pi or CH341a) then I can modify it for you.

Last edited:
Hey I’ve followed the guide and my Hackintosh has the same components of this guide, the only difference is I have a VEGA64 as my only graphics card.
The bugs I’m experiencing are:

· I have 2 monitors connected via Display Port cause if I plug any of them via HDMI the screen blinks in black once every 3~5 seconds. Watching the HDMI out through a capture card (Elgato HD60S+) I also see that glitches only happen when I move the mouse and also if I play any youtube videos the sound sounds like very short audio loops then normal for 3~5 seconds and it glitches again and so on. If I unplug the HDMI, everything goes back to normal… but I need to record the screen for my work with an external capture card but it becomes unuseful.

· Freezes: (unrelated to the first bug) Sometimes the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive (if I have music, videos or any app runing they keep runing like normal) and I have to force a shutdown.

· Black screens and high fan noise: Randomly the screens black out and the fans of the graphic card (VEGA64) turn up so loud. If any music/video was playing before the bug, they keep sounding normally but again, I have to force a shutdown.

· Occasionally (every 2~15 minutes) the audio glitches for half a second (it mutes or glitches).

Back