Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Select "Options". The first item will be Boot Arguments. Do the arguments look correct? Do you see any repeated boot arguments in the string?

Thank you Casey, the only anomaly I see in Options is a truncated list of boot arguments.
It does boot to Safe Mode using the Installer USB (built from your page 1 directions, so quite old now)

Attachments

• ClvrOptions.jpg
    ClvrOptions.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 63
yes

upd: But problem is in the OSX
Yep totally aware as I'm working on getting an Intel i7-10710U working under macOS right now. However I expect the community to be able to move so much more quickly on the Z490/Gen 10 combination then I'm seeing on the i7-107xxx CPUs (mainly laptops and NUC devices).

Thank you Casey, the only anomaly I see in Options is a truncated list of boot arguments.
It does boot to Safe Mode using the Installer USB (built from your page 1 directions, so quite old now)
Those boot arguments are not necessarily truncated. It may be necessary to press Enter and use left/right arrows to see the remaining arguments. Then press ESC to return. Does clearing NVRAM (F11) make any difference?

Yep totally aware as I'm working on getting an Intel i7-10710u working under MacOS right now. However I expect the community to be able to move so much more quickly on the Z490/Gen 10 combination then I'm seeing on the i7-107xxx CPUs (mainly laptops and NUC devices).
Intel's 10th Gen mobile processors (Ice Lake) are based on 10nm process -- yes 10nm -- and have much faster Intel Iris Plus graphics. My 2020 MacBook Pro has one of these.

Intel's 10th gen desktop processors (Comet Lake-S) are based on 14nm+++++++++ and are pretty much identical to Coffee Lake. They still have the old UHD 630 iGPU.

Has anyone tried Clover/OC on Comet Lake-S?

Select "Options". The first item will be Boot Arguments. Do the arguments look correct? Do you see any repeated boot arguments in the string?

Casey you pointed me to the exact solution, THANK YOU!

I habitually hit the space bar in Clover and select safe mode from there, per your direction I added a -x to the boot arguments under Options and it successfully booted to Safe Mode. So, at this point I'm guessing a Clover bug but a workaround that worked fine.

Thank you again!

We're still in experimentation mode with these SSDTs and you may be able to help...
  • Correct -- BIOS version says "???" because I'm not aware of the version @Mace is using. To some degree (emphasis on 'some') BIOS does not matter.
  • I was just guessing that there's a "GPIO3 Force Power" option in BIOS, but if there isn't it usually means power is forced on by default.
  • You stated that IOReg populates correctly. Can you please post a screenshot of that? I'd like to make sure that Thunderbolt Bus is in fact activated.
  • Do Thunderbolt devices work? If hot plug does not work, do Thunderbolt devices work when plugged in during boot?
Ok thanks for the clarifications!

I will offer any info I can. I use a Lynx Aurora (n) TB2 interface for full time audio work and it works flawlessly when turned on at Clover boot menu without any renames or ssdt. I attached a shot of IO reg (pre ssdt) to show my normal paths.

Pre SSDT and Renames.png

Now with the ACPI renames and SSDTs the path in IO reg shows as follows

Post SSDT and Renames.png

I have tried connecting my device after login and it simply does not recognize.

I am very curious what bios @Mace is using. Once again I am using bios F5b.

Does clearing NVRAM (F11) make any difference?

Clearing NVRAM (F11 at Clover) did not make any difference. So, sticking with "Clover bug" for now.

Last edited:
Hi again!

So today I tried to use sidecar but for some reason, the iPad icon is not showing up in the menu bar cannot seem to get it to work. I have also tried plugging it using a USB but still no luck. The guide I followed was the "Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer".

I have a Fenvi T919 wireless card so I was hoping it would be a simple plug and play.
And my SMBIOS profile is set to iMac19,1 (I read you need to use a profile for a mac that doesn't have a T2 security chip)

Also, Netflix is running (though it is installed on my iPad) and the shikigva boot option is set to 80.

So I am wondering if I am missing any drivers, kexts or config options.

1590179084002.png

1590179302467.png

Attachments

• 1590179084002.png
    1590179084002.png
    360.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Some questions/suggestions:
  • Only the Dark Rock Pro 4 fans ramp up every 1:30 minutes? But case fans do not?
  • Are all fans plugged into PWM fan connectors on motherboard (no separate fan controller)?
  • Are case fans also PWM fans (4-pin)?
  • Does this full speed ramp up occur even when CPU is idle or only when CPU is under load?
  • Have you tried running Activity Monitor or Intel Power Gadget to see what happens every 1:30 minute? Intel Power Gadget displays a continuous graph of CPU and iGPU activity, so we can see if something strange is occurring every 1:30 minute.

Thank you so much for your very quick answer.
You guessed right, I disconnected the case fans from the motherboard in order to plug them in the controller of my be quiet! Pure Base 600 case, to reduce the noise (but I barely notice difference as the Dark Rock is very noisy at full load, so I am not even sure if they participate in the ramp up anymore). Yes, case fans are also PWM fans.

Yes, this occurs when CPU is idling at 1% or 2% as well as at 5% (watching a YouTube video). Very strange thing, it seems that when CPU is under load (22% and the fans spinning at 1138) the issue occurs much less frequently! Hmmmm...

I had Intel Power Gadget running under my eyes for the last 20 minutes and all the curves are very stable and flat when the ramp up occurs (temperature, PKG, Freq are idling at the same level as when there nothing). No spikes and CPU usage doesn't move. Nothing strange showing up in Activity Monitor either, nor in iStats Menus.

I just tried to plug only the 4K display and the ramp up also occurs. Also tried to clear NVRAM but the issue is still there.
Tomorrow I'm going to try some more things to sort this problem. I am thinking about making a clean install on another drive. I'll also try to see if the case fans ramp up simultaneously with the Dark Rock.
Please, let me know if you have another idea for troubleshooting or for a solution.

Many thanks again for the time you spend making this great thread even greater. You rock.

Back