Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Make a bridge from satellite 2 to 3.
If I remember you can have 6 device on one TB3 connector.

@FormerUser-594785 That is the way I have it connected now. However, since Luna, UA has not been happy with more than 14 DSP chips on one TB buss. So that is why I am trying to increase my Buss count. Just to maximize possible bandwidth.

I'll keep you posted if I find a solution. I'll make a clean install of Mojave as soon as possible. Then if it doesn't solve the issue, I'll make a clean install of Catalina. And then if it doesn't work out I'll try to install Windows 10 (oh nooo!).
If you've got a spare SSD, this would be a good step in the overall process of elimination. Are you using the latest VirtualSMC?
PS: I was wrong, my case fans are not PWM fans. I left the two case panels open and observed that while case fans are connected to the MB, only the Dark Rock fans (which are PWM fans) are ramping up. So there might be something to find out here... But the strange thing is that the ramp up is independent from the temperatures of the components: with the panels open, my CPU temps is around 34°C.
Here are some additional ideas:
  • Temporarily disconnect the Dark Rock fan from CPU_FAN and connect it somewhere else such as SYS_FAN. If it still ramps up then we know that fan header does not matter.
  • Now disconnect the Dark Rock fan altogether and set it aside. Connect a different fan (even a case fan; a 3-pin fan is also okay) to CPU_FAN and use rubber bands or some other means of holding it next to the heat sink. Does the new fan also ramp up?
  • Also try connecting power cable to PEG connector on the motherboard (located just below the six SATA ports).

Got it. I understand. However in my case, I am replacing a Z390 paired with an i9-9900K. So I need the muscle of the 10900K. If the wait is more than a week, microcenter has the i5-10600k in stock so I will pick it up to play along.
MicroCenter's website is not showing price or availability of the i5-10600K. Do you recall the price?

Small update... running patched NVM 50 on GC-Titan Ridge and I'm getting very good results. While still not ideal for my workspace, I'm able to run both monitors through the Titan Ridge card by using the UltraFine on TB3 and the UHD over TR's DP. So technically both monitors are working through the AIC. So far, I haven't had any issues with my devices, and hot plug is working as expected. I have also updated to the latest BIOS beta which allows for disabling CFG Lock in setup. Everything is running smoothly. Right now, I'd have to recommend the patched NVM 50 for GC-Titan Ridge over the Designare NVM 33 as every once in a while I would get a random boot where the TB bus was recognized, but no devices were present. That symptom may have been related to a previous BIOS version that was causing monitors to sometimes not get detected at boot, but it's not clear that was the cause of TB devices not getting detected.

Small update... running patched NVM 50 on GC-Titan Ridge and I'm getting very good results. While still not ideal for my workspace, I'm able to run both monitors through the Titan Ridge card by using the UltraFine on TB3 and the UHD over TR's DP. So technically both monitors are working through the AIC. So far, I haven't had any issues with my devices, and hot plug is working as expected. I have also updated to the latest BIOS beta which allows for disabling CFG Lock in setup. Everything is running smoothly. Right now, I'd have to recommend the patched NVM 50 for GC-Titan Ridge over the Designare NVM 33 as every once in a while I would get a random boot where the TB bus was recognized, but no devices were present. That symptom may have been related to a previous BIOS version that was causing monitors to sometimes not get detected at boot, but it's not clear that was the cause of TB devices not getting detected.

Are you saying the BIOS might have been the issue? not the TR firmware? Did they do something with NVM 50 patched because I was not getting video before... or maybe that was fixed with the DROM SSDT. Everything was going so crazy when I put 33 on my card I am not sure what made what work. I guess maybe it is time to order a new clip since the cheap one I have no longer grips the chip.

Are you saying the BIOS might have been the issue? not the TR firmware? Did they do something with NVM 50 patched because I was not getting video before... or maybe that was fixed with the DROM SSDT. Everything was going so crazy when I put 33 on my card I am not sure what made what work. I guess maybe it is time to order a new clip since the cheap one I have no longer grips the chip.
I can say that the BIOS was definitely preventing the monitors on TB from being detected at boot. Same port config on old BIOS would give me 5 beeps from the MB.

I can say that the BIOS was definitely preventing the monitors on TB from being detected at boot. Same port config on old BIOS would give me 5 beeps from the MB.
I see were you using an old BIOS? Or the latest? Before you changed to the beta BIOS?

I see were you using an old bios? or the latest? Before you changed to the beta bios?
Actually, I was using an old beta when experiencing the issues-F11c. I had decided to experiment with it (F11c) when I was experiencing memory allocation errors on boot. I wanted to keep iGPU enabled and it turns out OC-Quirks was the solution. Once that was settled I ended up staying on F11c because I wasn't experiencing any other issues. Later, I flashed my GC-Titan Ridge with patched firmware and that's when I became aware of the issues with monitors over TB. Again, non-patched firmware allowed for monitors over TB without issues, but I was hoping to keep TB bus activated.

Actually, I was using an old beta when experiencing the issues-F11c. I had decided to experiment with it (F11c) when I was experiencing memory allocation errors on boot. I wanted to keep iGPU enabled and it turns out OC-Quirks was the solution. Once that was settled I ended up staying on F11c because I wasn't experiencing any other issues. Later, I flashed my GC-Titan Ridge with patched firmware and that's when I became aware of the issues with monitors over TB. Again, non-patched firmware allowed for monitors over TB without issues, but I was hoping to keep TB bus activated.

Since your goal is to share the two monitors between your desktop and your laptop could you not plug a second cable from your Hub to the UHD monitor? Then just press the source button for the second monitor? Or another option would be to just Hack <--> MBP over TB3 and screen share! I have a Mac mini I use in this manor for processing renderings.

Since your goal is to share the two monitors between your desktop and your laptop could you not plug a second cable from your Hub to the UHD monitor? Then just press the source button for the second monitor? Or another option would be to just Hack <--> MBP over TB3 and screen share! I have a Mac mini I use in this manor for processing renderings.
I'm already screen sharing with my hack, it's really more about having the dock and monitors available for my rMBP when I just want to do some quick edits. Plugging in one cable to give me all shared components- speakers, storage, monitors, etc.. I like the idea of switching between source inputs, but my dock is DP out and I only have 1 DP on my UHD. It would be difficult to reach behind and plug/unplug DP cables. It does have two HDMI ports, but I believe I only get 30Hz over HDMI@4K. I have a TB3-->HDMI adapter so I should be able to try that out. Hadn't really thought about using the monitor as a switcher. Good idea!

Back