Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

PEG connector in blue on the lower right is different from ATX_12V_2X4 on the upper left. The latter is always required. In your case was the PEG connector required?
View attachment 470978

Yes sir I can confirm I have every single power input connection populated "2x2" "2x4" "main_ATX" and "PEG", without this config my board will not post, although I only tested it with a 9900k, I did try dual/quad channel ram configs, same outcome. It is definitely not a rare phenomenon with this board and a 9900k, if you google terms like "z390 9900k wont boot" you will see posts FULL of the same problem, many people just resorting to returning their hardware hoping for an exchange part to not exhibit the problem. I did not return any parts I just left a jumper on pins 4 and 5 of the main ATX, of coarse this means that at shutdown you're fans remain on etc, unless you hard power off your psu, (not a great long term fix) BUT for whatever reason (and I understand it doesnt make sense since the PEG is only meant to boost voltage to the pcie strip) as soon as I discovered that wonderful PEG port and powered it, I removed the jumper and all worked as it should, no more boot loops.... Strange hey?

Bare in mind that PEG connection SHOULDNT have made any difference since my board had the posting problem even without a discreet gpu.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CaseySJ , could you help clarify something for me?

In the repository under Gigabyte X99 Designare you say to enable GPIO3 Force Power in BIOS.
Thunderbolt settings in my bios (f5b) do not have this option.

The repository says ?? for Bios Version. Is this because Bios version does not matter or it is unknown what bios is being used by @Mace ?

So do I need a modified BIOS to access this setting?

I have enabled the ACPI renames and placed the SSDTs provided. IO reg populates the path correctly yet TB hotswap doesn't work.

I'm assuming it's due to not having this setting in BIOS?

Any help is very appreciated!
We're still in experimentation mode with these SSDTs and you may be able to help...
  • Correct -- BIOS version says "???" because I'm not aware of the version @Mace is using. To some degree (emphasis on 'some') BIOS does not matter.
  • I was just guessing that there's a "GPIO3 Force Power" option in BIOS, but if there isn't it usually means power is forced on by default.
  • You stated that IOReg populates correctly. Can you please post a screenshot of that? I'd like to make sure that Thunderbolt Bus is in fact activated.
  • Do Thunderbolt devices work? If hot plug does not work, do Thunderbolt devices work when plugged in during boot?

Last edited:
I can't seem to boot to Safe Mode (-x from Clover boot), it simply boots normally into the selected OS. I hadn't tried it for a while, since last attempt I've updated Clover (5117), all current kexts, unlocked MSR and using native NVRAM, using OcQuirks/OpenRuntime, still on Mojave but moved all kexts to EFI (no hack kexts in L/E).

I do run a multi-boot with Windows 10 as well as Mojave & Sierra, so you will see some customization in the config.plist

Could this be a NVRAM issue?

Attachments

• CloverGrab.jpg
    CloverGrab.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 46
  • config052220.plist
    28.5 KB · Views: 59
@CaseySJ Reserved the Z490 Vision D., Memory ect... NO stock of i9-10900K:(
I was planning to mention this later, but no need for that...
  • I had pre-ordered the i7-10700K, which is somewhat equivalent to an i9-9900K with 8 cores and 16 threads.
  • But at the last minute I canceled and replaced it with the i5-10400.
  • Yes the i5-10400. Not the i5-10600K. Why?
    • It has 6 cores and 12 threads, more than sufficient for now.
    • It has a TDP of only 65 watts. I want a totally silent system.
    • I don't play video games and I don't overclock, so this is not a "K" part.
  • But the single most important reason for choosing the i5-10400 is this:
    • It is relatively cheap (less than half the price of the i7-10700K) and temporary.
    • It will be replaced by Rocket Lake in about 6-10 months.

Hello Casey, hello guys,

I just received a new 4K monitor (LG 27" LED 27UL650-W) that replaced a 24" 1080p monitor but I have a very strange issue. When it is plugged into my Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ graphics card, the fans of my Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler ramp up to full speed every 1:30 minutes (consistently when the monitor is plugged in) for 4 to 5 seconds and then get back to normal. It is strange because the temps are always more or less the same (CPU package is around 40°C, Vega 64 is around 50°C and fans do not spin) and HWMonitorSMC2 nor iStat Menus show that the fans RPM are ramping up... but they do when I transcode a video for example.
When the 4K monitor is unplugged, things get back to normal.

I tried pretty much everything to sort this out:
Changing the fan curve in BIOS F9b, disabling iGPU in BIOS (didn't try iMacPro1,1), changing the DisplayPort version in the monitor settings, switching for HDMI... all of this didn't work. Looking into this thread, it seems that no one had this issue before. I don't really want to upgrade to Catalina, Mojave is so stable... but maybe I should try a clean install on a new SSD.

Did this issue occur to one of you guys? Maybe someone has an idea how to fix this...

I am on Mojave 10.14.6, Headless Platform ID 0x3E980003, iMac19,1, VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC (I changed this in order to see if there was any difference), latest WEG and Lilu and OcQuirks-4.efi + FwRuntimeServices.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.

Other than that, my Hackintosh is working flawlessly, it's been a long time since I had my last KP.

Many thanks in advance for your answer(s).
Kind regards,
aumacpro

I can't seem to boot to Safe Mode (-x from Clover boot), it simply boots normally into the selected OS. I hadn't tried it for a while, since last attempt I've updated Clover (5117), all current kexts, unlocked MSR and using native NVRAM, using OcQuirks/OpenRuntime, still on Mojave but moved all kexts to EFI (no hack kexts in L/E).

I do run a multi-boot with Windows 10 as well as Mojave & Sierra, so you will see some customization in the config.plist

Could this be a NVRAM issue?
Yes it could be related to NVRAM. At the Clover Boot Menu, try the following:
  • Select "Options". The first item will be Boot Arguments. Do the arguments look correct? Do you see any repeated boot arguments in the string?
  • Have you tried clearing NVRAM (F11 at the Clover Boot Menu)?

I can't seem to boot to Safe Mode (-x from Clover boot)

Quick follow-up, I can boot into safe-mode using the Installer USB (older Clover and FakeSMC etc.)

This worked as-is, no clearing of NVRAM. Just can't get there from my System's EFI (which is quite different)

Attachments

• config_Installer.plist
    31.6 KB · Views: 82
  • InstallerEFI.jpg
    InstallerEFI.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 54
Hello Casey, hello guys,

I just received a new 4K monitor (LG 27" LED 27UL650-W) that replaced a 24" 1080p monitor but I have a very strange issue. When it is plugged into my Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ graphics card, the fans of my Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler ramp up to full speed every 1:30 minutes (consistently when the monitor is plugged in) for 4 to 5 seconds and then get back to normal. It is strange because the temps are always more or less the same (CPU package is around 40°C, Vega 64 is around 50°C and fans do not spin) and HWMonitorSMC2 nor iStat Menus show that the fans RPM are ramping up... but they do when I transcode a video for example.
When the 4K monitor is unplugged, things get back to normal.

I tried pretty much everything to sort this out:
Changing the fan curve in BIOS F9b, disabling iGPU in BIOS (didn't try iMacPro1,1), changing the DisplayPort version in the monitor settings, switching for HDMI... all of this didn't work. Looking into this thread, it seems that no one had this issue before. I don't really want to upgrade to Catalina, Mojave is so stable... but maybe I should try a clean install on a new SSD.

Did this issue occur to one of you guys? Maybe someone has an idea how to fix this...

I am on Mojave 10.14.6, Headless Platform ID 0x3E980003, iMac19,1, VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC (I changed this in order to see if there was any difference), latest WEG and Lilu and OcQuirks-4.efi + FwRuntimeServices.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.

Other than that, my Hackintosh is working flawlessly, it's been a long time since I had my last KP.

Many thanks in advance for your answer(s).
Kind regards,
aumacpro
Some questions/suggestions:
  • Only the Dark Rock Pro 4 fans ramp up every 1:30 minutes? But case fans do not?
  • Are all fans plugged into PWM fan connectors on motherboard (no separate fan controller)?
  • Are case fans also PWM fans (4-pin)?
  • Does this full speed ramp up occur even when CPU is idle or only when CPU is under load?
  • Have you tried running Activity Monitor or Intel Power Gadget to see what happens every 1:30 minute? Intel Power Gadget displays a continuous graph of CPU and iGPU activity, so we can see if something strange is occurring every 1:30 minute.

Back