Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

****Apple Thunderbolt display fully functional with Designare with flashed TB3****
I knew when I bought the Alpine Ridge card, which I had no devices to use it with, that it would end up costing me more money! So, thanks to your discovery, I decided to by an Apple TB display. I found one on eBay sold by an electronics recycler for $240 including shipping. I connected the cabling from my RX 590 to the AR and based on your experience I also connected a second display to the DVI output of the RX590.

But, unlike your experience, the Aorus splash screen and the Clover screen appeared on the TB display, as well as about the first 10% of the verbose boot. the TB screen then went dark until near the end of the displaying of the progress bar with the Apple logo. so, I won't need to have a second display on standby for accessing BIOS or making changes at the Clover screen.

What a beautiful display! Of course it's not anywhere near the quality of a 4K display but I have no need for that kind of display for what I use the hack for.

Thanks again for your discovery!!

Last edited:
  • Can you still boot normally with Clover?
  • Does the boot process halt only with OpenCore?
  • Does the boot process succeed with OpenCore if you set both AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock to YES?
I've yet to try with Clover - will hopefully do so tomorrow morning.
However, I've installed a fresh EFI from 0.5.7 zip on the experimental page instructions and now getting this:

AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock set to NO
IMG_0516.jpg

AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock set to YES
With lock .jpg

Last edited:
What is the speed of your memory?

If it's higher than 2666MHz or 2933MHz, let's temporarily reduce it to 2666MHz as follows (in BIOS Setup):
  • It's okay to enable X.M.P. Profile 1
  • Then set System Memory Multiplier to 26.66
  • Save changes and reboot
  • Try file-copy operation again
its crucial ballistix 3200MHz..
I check i

I've yet to try with Clover - will hopefully do so tomorrow morning.
However, I've installed a fresh EFI from 0.5.7 zip on the experimental page instructions and now getting this:View attachment 464054
The OpenCore files in that guide assume that MSR 0xE2 is unlocked. Have you tried setting AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock to YES?

Have you tried booting from your bootable backup?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm trying to change the CPU name but I run in to permission problem. The operation can not be completed because you don't have the necessary permissions . no idea how to fix it .

its crucial ballistix 3200MHz..
I check i
Now 461GB transferred and ejected HDD.....every time is different HDD , now ejected Seagate Slim 2TB ...previously Red NAS 3TB and previously 4TB.....
This is crazy¡¡

The OpenCore files in that guide assume that MSR 0xE2 is unlocked. Have you tried setting AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock to YES?

Have you tried booting from your bootable backup?
@CaseySJ both NO & YES have been tried and gave the previous results in the JPEGs attached. First photo is NO, second photo are the results of YES.

My bootable backup was giving the same results the other day.

Could I in theory, leave my system as-is for the foreseeable? I will likely only update applications like Cubase, Pro Tools, plugins etc. but not much else.
My only ongoing issue is that Logic Pro crashes immediately on startup, it's no biggy as I don't use it anymore - but might need it for the occasional client project. I've removed all the plug ins, plugin database, trashed Logic preferences, and it still crashes hard before starting up.
What kind of problem? I have been using Logic Pro X 10.4.8 for the last 2 nights on a mixing job, zero issues.
I had Logic Pro and Pro Tools mixed up. Avid Pro Tools has a number of issues on Catalina. But chevron's post above indicates issues with Apple Logic Pro.

I had Logic Pro and Pro Tools mixed up. Avid Pro Tools has a number of issues on Catalina. But chevron's post above indicates issues with Apple Logic Pro.
When my machine works :lol:.. I've never had any issues with Logic. Pro Tools & Catalina are a no go for most audio workers.

No worries!
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • Is the Osx WiFi/BT card still not working?
  • If so, please type this in Terminal: kextstat | grep -v apple
  • Then also try this: sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • Reboot.
  • Then type the same thing again in Terminal: kextstat | grep -v apple
I'm running Catalina. Everything works perfectly again. My USB 2 ports weren't working either at the time, so I knew something in the bigger picture was wrong.
Thanks for your continued support.

Back